PDA

View Full Version : Olympics Mini Remote Controls Cars

Scottie
3rd August 2012, 09:00 PM
Anyone else noticed them. How cool are they must have strong wee engines to carry the shot puts etc

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Craig
3rd August 2012, 09:18 PM
Must have missed that ....

Scottie
3rd August 2012, 10:18 PM
Who cares about face book...... Not me... Don't follow the sheep... My thread.... Remove your link.... Thank you....

Gismo
3rd August 2012, 10:31 PM
Who cares about face book...... Not me... Don't follow the sheep... My thread.... Remove your link.... Thank you....Would you like me to remove your post as well? or you can delete it yourself?

Stewart
4th August 2012, 04:08 PM
Right off TM. Pity i cant find a clip of them in action :(

http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/member_pictures/stewart/olympic_mini_01.jpg

BMW Group Adds One More Model To Its Electric Vehicle Line Up For London 2012

BMW, Official Automotive Partner to the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games, is keeping the Games moving with a range of fully electric vehicles as part of the fleet. The 160 BMW 1 Series ActiveE models and 40 MINI E’s are being used for many duties including shuttling athletes and officials within the Olympic Park and surrounding Games sites. They also helped support elements of the Olympic Torch Relay convoy on its journey around the UK and will do so similarly for the Paralympic Torch Relay.

Today, BMW is proud to introduce another critical electric vehicle to the Olympic and Paralympic fleet: the Mini MINI. This specially developed and designed radio controlled electric car will be used on the field of play in the Olympic Stadium to ferry javelins, discuses, hammers and shots back from the field to the throwing area, saving valuable time during competition.

Three Mini MINIs will be deployed for this crucial task and will be operated by Games Makers assigned and trained for this duty. The cars are roughly a quarter scale of the full-sized car and carry the athletic equipment situated inside, accessible through the adapted sunroof. The Mini MINIs are all blue and feature the same Games livery as the ‘full-size’ official fleet vehicles.

“The MINI team was thrilled to be given this challenge to develop a vehicle with such an important and high profile role during the Olympic and Paralympic Games,” commented Dr Juergen Hedrich, Managing Director of MINI Plant Oxford. “I know that everybody was inspired by the challenge and the knowledge that these models will be seen in action by millions of people around the world.”

The cars were designed and built to a specification agreed with LOCOG to ensure their role on the field of play is successful in saving time during competition. Each of the three Mini MINIs will cover around 6,000 metres per day in four-hour shifts across nine days of Olympic and nine days of Paralympic competition.

The Mini MINIs will:

1. Carry a load of up to 8kg; a single hammer, discus or shot or two javelins.
2. Be operated with a simple control system requiring minimum technical support.
3. Be powered by batteries that can sustain 35 minutes of continuous usage with a radio control range of approximately 100 metres and be fully re-charged in 80 minutes.

After the closing ceremony of the Paralympic Games, the three Mini MINIs will return to base for well-earned rest and relaxation before their next athletic adventure.

http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/member_pictures/stewart/olympic_mini_02.jpg

http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/member_pictures/stewart/olympic_mini_03.jpg

http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/member_pictures/stewart/olympic_mini_04.jpg

It’s a choice to use or not use FB and certainly your not a sheep using it just as I'd not say anyone not using it was a Dinosaur. It's informative, amusing and sometimes sad but it’s a very useful tool in keeping in touch with friends on the go and even at home but that’s for another time!

KenL
4th August 2012, 05:26 PM
Those look great.

stoney
4th August 2012, 05:52 PM

found this one as well look well cool want a shot

zimbo
4th August 2012, 05:58 PM
Yes you can sign me up for one of those :thumbs up: ...it'll probably be the closest I'll ever get to owning an S :rolleyes:

Tam1314
5th August 2012, 12:31 AM
I want one. They must be on sale somewhere.

DarnShiv
5th August 2012, 09:56 AM

found this one as well look well cool want a shot

Rob, if you are still in London, try and sneak into Olympic park and "borrow" them. We could race them round the Go-Kart track at Knockhill next week;):thumbs up:

stoney
5th August 2012, 01:00 PM
I have a Gp one ;)

MINIme:)
5th August 2012, 01:15 PM
I build 7 of them a few years back for members on here :smilewinkgrin: (That's why I'm the "Radio Controlled Moderator" :thumbs up:)

:drools::clap: :popcorn: :arms:

The Dogfather
5th August 2012, 02:49 PM
I build 7 of them a few years back for members on here :smilewinkgrin: (That's why I'm the "Radio Controlled Moderator" :thumbs up:)

And its the only MINI I have left, better built than my last proper one as well.

Big Gordy
5th August 2012, 03:20 PM
And its the only MINI I have left, better built than my last proper one as well.

Years of practise....first myself and then with Ross. He's in the process of building a huge customised Austrailian road train truck from a Tamiya 1/14 scale kit.

Stewart
5th August 2012, 08:28 PM
First time I seen the wee cars there towing the Shot put’s back, in fact after I noticed the Wee MINI’s I was more interested in them than Liniker talking his usual patter to winners. Go on the Wee Cars.

You just know some lucky kid with someone high ups is getting a nice freebie when this is all over!

LadyR
5th August 2012, 10:35 PM
I've only just spotted this thread, how very cute! That's made my day :D

ELFMAN
6th August 2012, 11:41 AM
The BBC have dedicated Olympic channels for EVERYTHING, so we demand a special 'WEEMINICAM' IMMEDIATELY!!!

Tam1314
6th August 2012, 04:53 PM
I used to run a club in Livingston and we raced 1/8th scale Stockcars with 3.5cc engines. They were meant to represent Formula 1 Stockcars. We had great fun and we raced all over britain and Holland.

stoney
6th August 2012, 05:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z36H5LWPkE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NZmJ4rO7wM&feature=player_embedded

- - - Updated - - -

found a few vids in action :)

ELFMAN
6th August 2012, 05:49 PM
Brilliant! If the MINI marketing dept. don't bring this (or something very similar) out for folks to buy - then they've lost the plot. Simples!

MINIme:)
6th August 2012, 05:51 PM
:thumbs up: they are ace. Although I wish they'd stop calling them Coopers (I know, let it go JC!)

Stewart
6th August 2012, 06:27 PM
Cheers Rob! :thumbs up:

Big Gordy
6th August 2012, 10:23 PM
Those are pretty big......must be 1/5th scale at least :thumbs up:

Tam1314
7th August 2012, 06:57 AM
According to the blurb they are 1/4 Scale

ELFMAN
7th August 2012, 08:27 AM
According to the blurb they are 1/4 Scale

Just like me to tall people... :smilewinkgrin:

rpn
7th August 2012, 01:00 PM
The driver of the Mini Mini is not even old enough to drive!

Half way down the page; http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19130366