PDA

View Full Version : Who sees what on the web!!

weefossy
26th July 2012, 12:07 PM
Recieved a letter today from our insurance company ( no names mentioned) cancelling our insurance on the Beast for non disclosure. As this is the 2nd year they have insured all 3 cars, I was annoyed and intrigued. Phoned them up to be told that it had come to their attention that the Beast had a modified body kit, after market wheels and 4 spots on the front. They also wanted to know what other modifications I had made. After a "controlled discusion" the guy admitted somebody had made a mistake and as the car was specifically listed as a WC50, the only "mod" was the 4 spots that was not a problem. I confessed that the Van also had 4 spots, which he seemed to know, but also said it wasn't a problem.

My main question was, why had this come up now and where did their "not so knowledgible detective" get his info.

Did you attend the Scottish Motor Show recently and were any pictures taken that may have appeared on websites or Facebook.

So it is obvious that car insurance companies are looking at the web and comparing records. I know they have camera men at The Ring, but this guy particularly said the Scottish Car Show.

He wouldn't discuss where they got the info any further, so I don't know where they really got it, but I don't think they would have somebody walking round the show, so they must have relied on pictures from somewhere. In my case it has turned out not to be a problem, but it could be a problem for someone who hasn't fully disclosed and could find themselves uninsured.

It also brings up further debate about what we post up on NMS or Facebook, especially when it may be pictures or comments on somebody elses' car. From now on, if anyone posts a picture up which includes our cars, could you please take out our reg number.....thanks.

I know I have commented before about NMS being linked to Facebook and this may have nothing to do with today's letter, but it just adds fuel to my thinking about what I say and do in the future.

Big Gordy
26th July 2012, 12:32 PM
I know of a few forums that make removal of reg numbers mandatory before you can post a picture.
I will go as far as to stipulate that if anyone posts a picture of my car on this forum they MUST remove the reg number :nag:

ianking
26th July 2012, 12:38 PM
gordy, youve no been on a run for years so nobody has any pics of your car any more. :p;)

Big Gordy
26th July 2012, 12:40 PM
And you change you car that often you canny remember yours.......

ianking
26th July 2012, 12:52 PM
And you change you car that often you canny remember yours.......

Am a changed man now. Kept the red JCW for 2 and a half years and had this grey S for a year now.

Big Gordy
26th July 2012, 12:56 PM
I was actually going to say ALL pictures of ANYONES car but that's not my call to make. Only Alan can make that 'decree absolute'

Gismo
26th July 2012, 01:03 PM
I was actually going to say ALL pictures of ANYONES car but that's not my call to make. Only Alan can make that 'decree absolute'I wouldn't make it mandatory, I would leave it up to individual preference, unless folks want to vote it in?

MINIme:)
26th July 2012, 01:42 PM
I know of a few forums that make removal of reg numbers mandatory before you can post a picture.
I will go as far as to stipulate that if anyone posts a picture of my car on this forum they MUST remove the reg number :nag:

I always ask people to do this for my car also and would like to reiterate this. It's much appreciated. It's not paranoia as some have thought, it's just my personal choice as to how much personally identifiable information is spread across the web.

john
26th July 2012, 01:47 PM
I dont mind my reg being posted as I tell the insurane of what little mods I do but I appreciate Gordy not wanting his so if you could Post up you reg so we all know to remove it that would be nice.

I have heard of other cases of insurance surfing for info too.

26th July 2012, 02:00 PM
so if you could Post up you reg so we all know to remove it that would be nice.

:lol:

Big Gordy
26th July 2012, 03:04 PM
so if you could Post up you reg so we all know to remove it that would be nice

Ha...... I'm not falling for that one :moonie:

AndyP & Lenore
26th July 2012, 03:55 PM
Malcolm, a couple of months after we traded our Red MINI in for the Freelander 2 we got an email from our insurance company saying we had not disclosed the modifications to them and so our premium was going up and we were naughty people. The modifications listed were:

MINI Chili Pack.
Body Graphics.
MINI JCW Aerodynamic Package
MINI Optional extra alloy wheels
MIN JCW Tuning kit.

All fitted to a Land Rover Freelander 2.

It took a couple of phone calls and a bit of a rant to a supervisor to get it cleared up before they eventually accepted that it would be difficult to fit a MINI Chilli pack to a Freelander. At first they wanted me to take it to a garage and get them to sign a document confirming I had taken the items off the car. Bizarre!

It turns out it was because we transferred the registration plate from the red MINI to the FL2. So that reg had modifications to it so they assumed those mods followed the car.

As for posting pics of cars on the forum. I respect your request (and another couple of folk have said the same) so it's very easy for me.... I simply won't take any more pics on runs. I just don't have the time to sift through all the pics taking out reggies after I'm back from a run.

If you want my opinion, it sounds very likely the Insurance companies have clubbed together, organised a scout to go round the show taking pics of every car, then comparing what was insured against what was in the pic. It does seem like an awful lot of work though. But no more than trawling enthusiast forums seeking out occasional cars and doing the same comparison.

A.

zimbo
26th July 2012, 04:36 PM
This is why I always remove reg numbers etc (try to remember) from any pics I post except for pics from a garage etc where the cars for sale., Insurance companies will DO ANYTHING to get extra money out of our poor pockets, we dont need to give them any extra excuses to NOT pay out if we need them too :moonie:

Stewart
26th July 2012, 06:50 PM
I blank the plates if I post as it’s only a quick edit. I did however post Plates I think on the HT picture on here as everyone had posted before me with plate on. As everyone has seen them I’ll remove the links.

As for the insurance I hope it was all sorted out, just goes to show you don’t know who is snooping at car shows. I can think of nothing easier than going round taking pictures as lets face it you’d just think it was in appreciation to see lots of cars in one place that are generally modified.

This is why I don’t mess around much with my car changing only a few cosmetic bits that are dealer fit. So basically someone turned up took pictures of your car with its plate and took it that to modified.

So to sum up I’m all for blanking the plates and will do in the future.

weefossy
26th July 2012, 07:37 PM
Andy, like you I don't think they would organise to send somebody round the shows, but they got their information, albeit incorrect, from somewhere.

You can take the view, like with CCTV, that if your not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to fear, but I do think it's not just pictures, we need to watch what we say about mods to each other's cars, what happens on track days, runs, rolling roads etc. If you have a fully manned call centre with time on their hands at off peak periods, it's a worthwhile exercise to have them "play on the internet", to see what they can find.

I'm not trying to restrict the fun we have on NMS, but today's events will make me give that little extra bit of thought to my posts.

stoney
26th July 2012, 09:11 PM
Malcolm you had your show plates on at the show !! so that can not be where they got it from they did this to my dad as well telling him he had bull bars on the Q7 and he did not !!! and any of my facebook photo's dont show your reg !!

26th July 2012, 09:37 PM
the show plates weren't on early in the day. I've seen a picture on fb from the show with the plate showing (not posted by any of us, it was in a set of show photos, poss on the show's own page I can't remember).

AndyP & Lenore
26th July 2012, 09:49 PM
the show plates weren't on early in the day. I've seen a picture on fb from the show with the plate showing (not posted by any of us, it was in a set of show photos, poss on the show's own page I can't remember).

Bingo! A whole gallery of insured cars modded and undeclared. Sweeping generalization, yes, but you can imagine the drool from the corner of the mouth of the insurance guy/gal looking over that album.

A.

stoney
26th July 2012, 09:51 PM
and there was me being dissapointed mine was not shown :lol: not any more :) and from now on as soon as i enter the show ground my sho plates ill be on !!!

weefossy
26th July 2012, 10:33 PM
Joanna, your correct that I didn't have the show plates on all the time and I only had the front one on. From what I can see, there are no pictures of our cars on the Scottish Car show website, apart from a great picture of Leanne's Coupe. William does get a moment of fame on the video, but that's all, so it wasn't from there Andy.

Stewart
26th July 2012, 10:44 PM
Pity they are not made by law if asked to disclose where the information that this call was based on originated when nullifying your insurance on the spot. I get the impression there would have been a good few on the list if it was indeed from the show.

Thankfully your in a limited edition that is all but original apart from the spots and would know right away the person making the call had no
leg to stand on.

It's probably not the best idea that we have our plates on our signatures:frown:

stoney
26th July 2012, 10:52 PM
There has been lots of different web site s posting pics I have checked my photos and non have your reg Malcom !! Mmmm strange one !!

Stewart
26th July 2012, 11:02 PM
Any of the forums reporting getting calls?

But agree it must be over the net as lets face it unless its organised by a large group of insurance company’s it would never be worth there while sending a person in the flesh.

Example how many cars would be insured by the same one company at such a show.

I know it so easy to get information on cars I mean Rob I could tell you right now when your Tax was up, the date the car was registered first on the road, and what engine is under the hood etc for free just from the DVLA site…:hand:

27th July 2012, 02:56 AM
yep I re-found it - strathycruise site, linked to by scs fb page. Everything is linked these days!3673

T5LLC
27th July 2012, 08:28 AM
yep I re-found it - strathycruise site, linked to by scs fb page. Everything is linked these days!3673

My car is there and 4 other sites... not sure I like the reg on unless its me or people I know putting the pictures up...

- - - Updated - - -

Just had word that 2 people that had their cars on stands at Scottish Car Show have had their insruance voided after pictures were taken from Scottish Car Show and spotted online.. one got a £140 fine for having a carbon air filter.. crazy.

weefossy
27th July 2012, 10:27 AM
Well done detectives Joanna and Leane. Goes to show anyone can take a picture of your car....... or anything........and post it up on the Web. And it shows that the insurance companies do take the time to look at websites and that will probably include Total mini, NMS, Northern Mini etc. Ah well, lesson learnt.

T5LLC
27th July 2012, 02:34 PM
I came home to a letter saying I hadn't declared my wheels, brakes and body kit... The standard chat to the insurance company awaits me... :(

stoney
27th July 2012, 02:35 PM
Mmm ok time to change some stuff I think ;)

stoney
27th July 2012, 02:36 PM
Guys who are you thro ??

T5LLC
27th July 2012, 02:37 PM
Admiral....

john
27th July 2012, 03:16 PM
I declared everything on my TR7V8 but because its a classic car insurance they looked at it all as improvements so no extra charge.

When I had the silver MINI before the race car they would not insure me if I changed the exhaust or wheel, I then got the race car and thought HEADACHE!! but because my race car was a COOPER CLUBPORT it was all OK and no extra charge. BOOST!!

stoney
27th July 2012, 03:44 PM
I have no mods to speak of ;)

RobSco
27th July 2012, 04:56 PM
I have no mods to speak of ;)

You better declare that BIG cover you have on your GP, Is that not classed as a modification... :lol:

I can't believe that Insurance Companies would use information by looking through websites and then checking, just doesn't make sense, how many are actually sifting through all the data and cross matching it... :frown:

Stewart
27th July 2012, 06:08 PM
Well at least the culprit was found.

That’s a shame Leanne you have to use your time to chase up someone that does not have a clue about the brand and what comes standard on your model. At least you know your in the right 100% and I hope you shove it down there throats. I’d also want an apology for suggesting you have been dishonest and a discount or cash sum for the use of your time to rectify and also educate said insurance company.

T5LLC
27th July 2012, 06:37 PM
Well at least the culprit was found.

That’s a shame Leanne you have to use your time to chase up someone that does not have a clue about the brand and what comes standard on your model. At least you know your in the right 100% and I hope you shove it down there throats. I’d also want an apology for suggesting you have been dishonest and a discount or cash sum for the use of your time to rectify and also educate said insurance company.

I've got to fax over my spec sheet!:( I stupidly mentioned that my wheels are standard on all JCW models except I got mines black... Oops now they don't believe it came from factory with black fitted

Stewart
27th July 2012, 07:19 PM
You ordered the Car from a Dealer and everything is standard spec options on your Works….But as you know getting that across is not always easy as you said one missed comment and they think they have an issue. Black wheels are a Factory/Dealer option.

What a pain in the ass, feel for you!

Having some nice pictures of your pride and joy posted and you get this, blooming :ragin::ragin::ragin:

DarnShiv
27th July 2012, 08:58 PM
Jeez, this all sounds horrendous. We've just taken our policy with Admiral. We ticked the box to say we have added decals. Based on everything I have read I am sorely tempted to send them a picture just to be sure they fully understand:confused: having said that....they probably already have one!!!

27th July 2012, 09:35 PM
Jeez, this all sounds horrendous. We've just taken our policy with Admiral. We ticked the box to say we have added decals. Based on everything I have read I am sorely tempted to send them a picture just to be sure they fully understand:confused: having said that....they probably already have one!!!

:lol:
I'm Diamond (it's also Admiral!) I spent hours on the phone to them telling them everything single detail about every factory fitted option! Most of them were lumped into groups in the end - exterior decorative changes / interior decorative changes that sort of thing. Love minis but man are they complicated to insure.

KenL
27th July 2012, 10:58 PM
LV showed no interest in anything that was factory fitted. I told them more than once, "its got CHILLI pack" but they said if they are factory fitted it doesn't matter.

But, when I called them to say I'd fitted a chrome scoop and mirrors to the S when I had it they classed it as a "body kit" and charged me £20 extra!

stoney
27th July 2012, 11:17 PM
LV showed no interest in anything that was factory fitted. I told them more than once, "its got CHILLI pack" but they said if they are factory fitted it doesn't matter.

But, when I called them to say I'd fitted a chrome scoop and mirrors to the S when I had it they classed it as a "body kit" and charged me £20 extra!

It's daft luckly mine is how it should be so I don't have to worry about insh not cover me ;)

Mini Ecosse
28th July 2012, 08:35 AM
I will make a point of blanking out reg numbers in future. :thumbs up: