PDA

View Full Version : Alloy Wheel Repair Kits... ???

RobSco
24th July 2012, 11:20 PM
Hi

Over the past couple of weeks I've managed to lightly scrape two of my Alloy Wheels on the edge of the curbs... :ragin: ... Just wondering if any members have used any of the kits that are available on the market to repair them and are they worth buying or a waste of money... :confused:

I know I could get them done at Peter Vardys who do an excellent job of this, but with prices starting from £39.00 + Vat, don't really want to pay this, especially when it's for two, just thought I'd have a go if the kits you buy are alright to use and could even fix the paint around the wheel bolts and paint them as well when I'm at it.

Don't know what to do as I'm not wanting to buy a kit and find the colour doesn't even match and waste money, and then still have to get them done. Just wondering if anyone has used a kit before... :idunno:

Craig
25th July 2012, 08:12 AM
Sorry Robert, never used one of kits before as I've always had wheels painted or powder coated professionally... I'm not sure I've heard of anyone using these kits... ;)

T5LLC
25th July 2012, 08:15 AM
Ive not heard of anyone using these kits either... I have only had to get repair done once and I went to Eastern BMW. They done it for free(long story) they done a great job... but the bill would have been close to £100 for the 2 wheels and it does seem a lot if I'm honest.. Shop around you may get a company who would do it cheaper..

stoney
25th July 2012, 08:27 AM
nope not seen or used one of the kits but there are plenty of ally refurb paces out there so have a look around

ianking
25th July 2012, 08:35 AM
Ive not heard of anyone using these kits either... I have only had to get repair done once and I went to Eastern BMW. They done it for free(long story) they done a great job... but the bill would have been close to £100 for the 2 wheels and it does seem a lot if I'm honest.. Shop around you may get a company who would do it cheaper..

My mate who has his own smart repair business does alot of work for eastern, western, lexus etc at Newbridge so it may have been him that done it. He is mobile and goes in and does the work at their dealerships.
He also does all the smart repair work for edinburgh Porsche, Ferrari, Bentley etc so he must be good.
Done quite a bit of work for me and its always very good.

T5LLC
25th July 2012, 08:56 AM
My mate who has his own smart repair business does alot of work for eastern, western, lexus etc at Newbridge so it may have been him that done it. He is mobile and goes in and does the work at their dealerships.
He also does all the smart repair work for edinburgh Porsche, Ferrari, Bentley etc so he must be good.
Done quite a bit of work for me and its always very good.

Yeah was an excellent job :thumbs up: was good of him fitting me in and doing the job quick too. If I damage my new wheels I will definitely use him again :D

RobSco
25th July 2012, 09:31 AM
Thanks for all your replies... :thumbs up:...

Think now that the Alloy Wheel Kit would be a waste of money, would be better spending the money on getting it done right... :thumbs up: ... That way I'd feel a lot happier...

Not really been that much impressed with what I've seen on video over the internet and YouTube on Alloy Wheel Kits, Looks easy to do but looks like its just been sprayed with a cheap can of silver paint with the finish not looking the same, I now think it would give me more hassle and expense, would be better getting it done correctly as I know Peter Vardy do a good job on this so I might send them an Email to enquire...

As Leanne said this would be around £100 for two being done at the price I quoted, something I could do without at this moment so will start looking around but don't just want anyone doing it, looking for a first class job, Ian is your mate reasonable for doing Alloy Wheels as if you are recommending him he must be good and Leanne was happy with the work he done... :yes nod: ...Just wondering if he's done work for Peter Vardy as well.

bodyshop23
25th July 2012, 10:05 AM
My company can do alloy wheel refurbishment prices from £40 per wheel any colour, same day service.
JRM Coachworks 0131 337 5566

ianking
25th July 2012, 12:26 PM
Robsco, yeah my mate is good. I have used him on my own cars in the past for a couple of small wheel scuffs also used him for bumper corners and mirror heads on cars that I have bought from the auction.

If he is trusted to do work for Ferrari dealership then he cant be bad. Not sure if he does Peter Vardys or not. I get mates rates but Im pretty confident that he doesnt charge Eastern £50 per wheel

RobSco
25th July 2012, 11:00 PM
My company can do alloy wheel refurbishment prices from £40 per wheel any colour, same day service.
JRM Coachworks 0131 337 5566

Thanks for your reply always good to know for future reference... :thumbs up:

Robsco, yeah my mate is good. I have used him on my own cars in the past for a couple of small wheel scuffs also used him for bumper corners and mirror heads on cars that I have bought from the auction.

If he is trusted to do work for Ferrari dealership then he cant be bad. Not sure if he does Peter Vardys or not. I get mates rates but Im pretty confident that he doesnt charge Eastern £50 per wheel

Thanks for your reply Ian, I'll certainly keep him in mind for when I make the final decision as one wheel is not marked by much but still annoying that it's there, feel the both of them could be sorted by touching them up... :thumbs up:

curly
17th September 2012, 10:41 AM
i now also have a mate who does my alloy for me as i have scuffed them on more than one occasion, the DIY alloy kits can work well but i have always found that i get a better finish if i pay someone else to do it for me, i have also found these guys good for alloy wheel refurbishment (http://www.buyalloywheels.co.uk/). also can anyone recommend a good bodyshop? i am currently working between Scotland and London so location isn't an issue for me

cheers :hand:

Craig
17th September 2012, 11:57 AM
Car and Bike in Bonnybridge do all my work and I've never had a complaint with them :thumbs up:

RobSco
17th September 2012, 06:54 PM
i now also have a mate who does my alloy for me as i have scuffed them on more than one occasion, the DIY alloy kits can work well but i have always found that i get a better finish if i pay someone else to do it for me, i have also found these guys good for alloy wheel refurbishment (http://www.buyalloywheels.co.uk/). also can anyone recommend a good bodyshop? i am currently working between Scotland and London so location isn't an issue for me

cheers :hand:

Not 100% sure of using them as I've read and watched videos on internet, not completely impressed with the finish that I've seen, Getting brakes fixed first then I'll decide what to do... :thumbs up:

Car and Bike in Bonnybridge do all my work and I've never had a complaint with them :thumbs up:

Do they do Alloys as well Craig... ??? As the scrapes on mine are not to bad, Good to know though as I could be doing with a touch up on the cover in front of the windscreen... :thumbs up: ... Ian has also said his mate does this sort of work and have kept him in mind, all good to know when I go to get this done... :yes nod:

Craig
17th September 2012, 07:06 PM
he doesn't do wheels unfortunately Robert, sorry... wish he did as Jude would be one of his best customers... :lol: