PDA

View Full Version : Merry 4th of July Everybody!

ELFMAN
4th July 2012, 10:07 AM
Here's a wee tune for all our Transatlantic Brothers and Sisters from the Master! :usaflag:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8nb0a2Je7Y

Many will be familiar with Jimi Hendrix's live 'Woodstock' version of the 'Star Spangled Banner', but he constructed this "Guitar Orchestra" in the studio back in '69 on what would now be seen as almost 'clockwork' equipment - all tape, no digital stuff! It's as much of a 'soundscape' as a tune, with the melody sharing with guitar-created sound effects.

See how many 'pictures' you can hear in this piece - Industry, War (obviously Vietnam at the time - but the US Cavalry and Native Americans are present too - Jimi had Cherokee ancestry), Machine Guns, Aircraft, Horses, Bugles, Space Travel - If you listen carefully there's even a Flying Saucer taking off right at the end! The whole of America, the Good, the Bad and the Beautiful, is in there somewhere. Enjoy.
Cheers Jimi, :smug: Cheers America.

Burple
4th July 2012, 10:28 AM
Y'know.. I've never actually listened to that all the way through as a studio track... it's amazing!!!

Happy Firework and barbeque day! :thumbs up::cool:

Stewart
4th July 2012, 01:42 PM
I’d just once like to experience the 4th over there, in a big house with an American family. I think it would be great fun.

ELFMAN
4th July 2012, 03:10 PM
I’d just once like to experience the 4th over there, in a big house with an American family. I think it would be great fun.

As long as that family weren't called "MANSON"... :knife:

Stewart
4th July 2012, 04:16 PM
I was thinking more on the lines of the Waltons ;)

Gismo
4th July 2012, 04:33 PM
WIll be celebrating it with family today :thumbs up:

weefossy
4th July 2012, 05:25 PM
Euan, in all my years, I've never heard that studio version. It was always the Woodstock version, or a variation on Woodstck that I've come accross. Amazing what could be done with a 4 track "real to real" tape machine.
Alan, have a great party.