PDA

View Full Version : Cooling Fan

Sheilz
1st July 2012, 08:27 PM
This afternoon after stopping the engine and locking the car the cooling fan came on. Thought I was hearing things and assumed a neighbour was using a particularly noisy lawnmower and who the heck was cutting grass in the rain. The fan kept on for ages, went off then came on again. I called out the RAC hoping to avoid a complete breakdown tomorrow with a dud battery. Mechanic ran a check on the cooling system which seems to be fine - no leaks found. What he did say was that the fan is staying on way too long rather than sporadically responding to hot water passing a sensor I assume. Has anybody had any such problem before or any idea if this is a warning of something about to give way.

Neil - TXJ
2nd July 2012, 12:28 PM
I am having the same problem plus struggling to start, well actually starts then cuts out and I need to rev hard to stop it cutting out - feels like I need to pull the choke out (showing my age now!)

Only been a problem since car went in for a service so will be going back in.

gauldrymini
2nd July 2012, 04:03 PM
Our CM does the ongoing fan cooling thing when stopped too...been mentioned before that MINIs tend to do this:confused: Seems wrong though...

Gismo
2nd July 2012, 05:05 PM
Our CM does the ongoing fan cooling thing when stopped too...been mentioned before that MINIs tend to do this:confused: Seems wrong though...Mine does it a lot and so far no starting problems

Sheilz
2nd July 2012, 07:07 PM
This morning engine was flooded. Did a short trip to Union Square, fan kept on for quite some time after. Same when I came home from that appt, fan kept going for quite a bit afterwards. This evening after work went to take him up to the hospital and lo and behold the engine was flooded again. Started and stopped and had to keep the revs up on the occasions I had to stop on the journey to Altens. Interestingly enough Dougall was just serviced a week ago. Hmm? How much of a coincidence is that. Munro followed me in his car to make sure we didn't break down. Evidently there was a very strong smell of petrol when Dougall first exited the drive.

stoney
3rd July 2012, 08:10 AM
strange if it was just serviced then it would be straight back to them

as yours and triggers seem to be doing the same thing then it may be new software they have flashed your cars with ??

Sheilz
3rd July 2012, 11:38 PM
Temp sensor had to be replaced. Was sending all the wrong signals to different parts of the engine. Repair bill ought to have been 140 but after some negotiations was reduced to 75. Ideally should have been free since that's not an issue caused by wear and tear, not in my book anyway, so argued that if it hadn't been faulty then diagnostic test wouldn't have been necessary. Bill almost halved as a goodwill gesture so thank you to Gordon at JCs. Service was excellent as it almost always is.

stoney
4th July 2012, 09:24 AM
Glad its fixed.for.you

Gorbash12346
3rd October 2012, 07:09 PM
the thermostats on the r56 petrol engine have a coolant temperature sensor built into them that goes faulty quite frequently. worth bearing in mind.