PDA

View Full Version : MINI Clubvan

gauldrymini
28th June 2012, 08:30 AM
...been confirmed as a new variant, for all the "variant haters" that is SEVEN now for the MINI brand.

Autumn 2012 release date and being revealed at Goodwood Festival of Speed.

2 Petrol engines - One and Cooper
1 Diesel engine - Cooper D

...more details on http://www.mini.co.uk/model-range/clubvan/

Craig
28th June 2012, 09:50 AM
I'd take one to replace the punto tomorrow ;)

gauldrymini
28th June 2012, 10:06 AM
I'd take one to replace the punto tomorrow ;)

...hate to say it but would have had one instead on the CM, having a dedicated cargo area would be a huge plus for me but the Clubvan would lose out on clearance height, ALL4...

...a Clubvan All4, now we are talking:motoring:

ianking
28th June 2012, 10:53 AM
I really like that.

Suppose it would only suit a mobile detailer if he/she didnt have to take a water tank and generator as those items on there own would more than fill the van.

Its not on the on line configurator yet (or I cant find it anyway) but Im very suprised to see that they are not offering it in silver. I see lots of vans now in silver and all the various vans in silver do look good.
Are the alloys not the same as or almost the same as the R50 one seven special edition wheel?

gauldrymini
28th June 2012, 11:01 AM
I really like that.

Suppose it would only suit a mobile detailer if he/she didnt have to take a water tank and generator as those items on there own would more than fill the van.

Its not on the on line configurator yet (or I cant find it anyway) but Im very suprised to see that they are not offering it in silver. I see lots of vans now in silver and all the various vans in silver do look good.
Are the alloys not the same as or almost the same as the R50 one seven special edition wheel?

Ian, I thought that too about the alloys, they seem to call the "Delta style"...

weefossy
28th June 2012, 11:36 AM
I think it looks great and it's one varient that I agree with. Great to see the rear pillers and bumper are colour coded. I would have somehow stopped the crome line at the end of the front doors. otherwise I think it will restrict flowing graphics. As Duncan has said before, it will need to be priced well below the normal Clubman or it will be self defeating. With the seats down, which we have most of the time, I can get a lot of stuff in the back of ours and the only gain with a van would be the depth. The advantage of the Clubman however, is the loading space is level and if you need the seats, they are there.

Don't think we will change, but one of these days I will get round to changing the outside of our Clubman to look like a van, with some suitable graphics.

ianking
28th June 2012, 12:19 PM
Big benefit to a registered business though is that they can claim the VAT back. They cant do that with a Clumban car though.

Are the prices listed inc VAT or plus VAT????

stoney
28th June 2012, 12:41 PM
Big benefit to a registered business though is that they can claim the VAT back. They cant do that with a Clumban car though.

This is true but still to small for me :(

rpn
28th June 2012, 12:56 PM
That's no different to the Clubman apart from the rear windows.

Are there any rear seats?

MINIme:)
28th June 2012, 01:40 PM
;) I like. If I needed a van this would be great! Do find I'm putting the seats up and down a lot in my car recently which is a bit irritating!

gauldrymini
28th June 2012, 02:13 PM

The MINI One Clubvan starts at £11,175 + VAT (£13,410 inc. VAT)

ELFMAN
28th June 2012, 02:20 PM
...been confirmed as a new variant, for all the "variant haters" that is SEVEN now for the MINI brand.

"Variant Haters"? Hmmmmm. Not sure NMS folks will be comfortable being "labelled" because some of us don't necessarily agree with MINI milking the brand for everything it's worth with models which could be considered either unnecessary or to be moving the original 'MINI Ethos' further and further into mainstream territory, with the genuine concern that future models could well dilute the fundamental driving experience which, as enthusiasts, we presumably all value. Surely we can express an honest heartfelt opinion without the risk of being seen as a negative sub-division?

Anyway... The Clubvan. I really don't mind it at all - on reflection, a part of me actually quite fancies it as it's (in MINI terms) a more 'Back-to-Basics' practical piece of kit, not just for business use (though it's still a bit small for a lot of work requirements as Stoney pointed out), but for folks who don't need 4 seats and would find the rear room handy it could be just the thing - a sort of Coupe with overalls and workboots. For the record, pulling on my "Variant Hater" t-Shirt, I think it's a far better use of metal and paint than the Rocketman concept, which would certainly fall into my 'unnecessary' category.

However, I'll still stick to my original 'Clubvan' point of view expressed previously on NMS that I don't think it would take a massive amount of imagination or a great feat of engineering to take a decent 2nd-Hand Clubbie and make it 'Van-Tastic' for a good few grand less - you could even have a 'Clubvan S'... but hey, you pays your money... it's a free country - by the way if you believe that, you're dilusional - ask the manipulating criminals at Barclays... sorry, put on my "Speculator Hater" T-shirt for a minute :smilewinkgrin:

ELFMAN
28th June 2012, 02:24 PM
I'm putting the seats up and down a lot in my car recently which is a bit irritating!

I'm saying NOTHING Joanna... :blush: :hand:

Stewart
28th June 2012, 02:32 PM
I don’t have a problem either with a proper Clubbie Van as I have fond memories of the original Mini Van. For once there actually could a sensible place in the range for small businesses.

I do get more alarmed when I see so called test Mules that look like this

http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj470/mab01uk/Traveller.jpg

http://www.motoringfile.com/2012/06/27/possible-mini-traveller-mule-spotted/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Motoringfile+%28MotoringFile+ |+MINI+News%2C+Reviews+and+Podcast%29

ELFMAN
28th June 2012, 03:53 PM
I don’t have a problem either with a proper Clubbie Van as I have fond memories of the original Mini Van. For once there actually could a sensible place in the range for small businesses.

I do get more alarmed when I see so called test Mules that look like this

http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj470/mab01uk/Traveller.jpg

http://www.motoringfile.com/2012/06/27/possible-mini-traveller-mule-spotted/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Motoringfile+%28MotoringFile+ |+MINI+News%2C+Reviews+and+Podcast%29

Stewart - I really think something like this will be the 'MINI Hatch equivalent' in a few years, with the Rocketman being the 'city car' in the range. Say goodbye to the car we know and love folks... Now I'm not saying it's horrible or anything, I actually think it looks quite good in a phat way (better than the Countryman???), but I don't see it charging down a B-Road with the exhaust popping and banging on the over-run with the driver grinning from ear to ear... which is quite a sad prospect :sad:

weefossy
28th June 2012, 03:56 PM
That's just sick and has nothing to do with a Mini...imho. At least the Clubman / Clubvan have an original concept / design to follow. Looks like we will be sticking with The Beast for a long time to come.

ELFMAN
28th June 2012, 04:04 PM
I think the 'Concept' Stewart found looks vaguely like a MUCH BIGGER updated version of this old Rover 'Mini Replacement' concept touted in the 90's... turned down by BMW. Every cloud has a silver lining - ours was the R50!

Thought it looked familiar... here's the accompanying bumf:

"Spiritual concept shown at the Geneva Motor Show in 1997, was actually a Rover proposal for the Mini styled by Oliver Le Grice, rejected by BMW in October 1995. This particular car was a radical effort, which incorporated a rear mounted K-Series engine, subframes and Hydragas suspension. Does it capture the spirit of the original Mini? Rover seemed to think so. Sadly BMW thought they were ten years ahead of their time..."

G17RDY
28th June 2012, 04:15 PM
I like it, whilst i have no need for a van, i think it's a logical step for MINI.

Not going to be a big seller, and the prices seem very cheap, but i guess it's a stripped down version of a clubbie, so it can be cheaper!

Stewart
28th June 2012, 04:45 PM
Euan that is my fear they turn a car with curves and style that looks familiar to the original R50 and takes design nuggets from the Classic to something that is just a plan Box on four wheels with no sole.

Granted there is enough spy shoots of this F56 to suggest the Hatch is safe but the MINI Hatch does look like its Morphing into a 1 series with a different shell.

ELFMAN
28th June 2012, 04:49 PM
the prices seem very cheap

The MINI One Clubvan starts at £13,410.
That'll be "very cheap" in MINI-Speak then! :smilewinkgrin:

MiniSnaps
28th June 2012, 04:51 PM
I think the 'Concept' Stewart found looks vaguely like a MUCH BIGGER updated version of this old Rover 'Mini Replacement' concept touted in the 90's... turned down by BMW. Every cloud has a silver lining - ours was the R50!

Interestingly, I notice that the original 2000 press pack for the R50 came from Rover's pr dept, not BMW or MINI's

I like it, whilst i have no need for a van, i think it's a logical step for MINI.

Not going to be a big seller, and the prices seem very cheap, but i guess it's a stripped down version of a clubbie, so it can be cheaper!

I think it will sell well, it's the ideal advertising vehicle (if you'll pardon the pun) for florists and other small businesses that only need a van for local deliveries of small items

ELFMAN
28th June 2012, 04:52 PM
Euan that is my fear they turn a car with curves and style that looks familiar to the original R50 and takes design nuggets from the Classic to something that is just a plan Box on four wheels with no sole. Granted there is enough spy shoots of this F56 to suggest the Hatch is safe but the MINI Hatch does look like its Morphing into a 1 series with a different shell.

Agreed, but I think we're veering slightly :off topic: Stewart.
Another discussion for another thread.

If I was feeling flush, I'd have a Van in Pepper White with my Crown Spokes and some funky signwriting in Black. There's a surprise then... :argh: doh!!!!

ELFMAN
28th June 2012, 04:59 PM
Interestingly, I notice that the original 2000 press pack for the R50 came from Rover's pr dept, not BMW or MINI's

I think there was a fair bit of Rover involvement in the early stages - I used to know this stuff, but my brain has developed MINi timing chain rattle over the years... oh I've gone :off topic: again.

MiniSnaps
28th June 2012, 05:11 PM
I think there was a fair bit of Rover involvement in the early stages - I used to know this stuff, but my brain has developed MINi timing chain rattle over the years... oh I've gone :off topic: again.

The R50 was a Rover design, that's why MINIs have the R** model codes...

Duncan Stewart
28th June 2012, 08:32 PM
I had just about decided I was going to get another Cooper S and now they do this! :thud::smilewinkgrin:
I want a Cooper Clubvan :yes nod: (but will probably end up with an S hatch as I'm now a power junkie :rolleyes: )

ELFMAN
29th June 2012, 08:55 AM
The R50 was a Rover design, that's why MINIs have the R** model codes...

Ahhh, so I'm not entirely senile yet then! I have loads of info/books etc etc on this very topic, but haven't read/thought about them for a while - obviously... :argh:

ianking
29th June 2012, 11:51 AM
Well out of all the many mini variants that have been launched lately or have been shown in concept this is the only one that I really really want.
Trying to think of a reason to buy a van.
Could go self employed and then get a van and get the vat back :confused:

weefossy
1st July 2012, 12:35 AM
Clubman S is defo the answer Duncan.

gauldrymini
30th September 2012, 08:36 PM
...for all you fellow "Van-Heads" the Clubvan seems to be on the MINI configurator:thumbs up:

Craig
30th September 2012, 08:51 PM
...for all you fellow "Van-Heads" the Clubvan seems to be on the MINI configurator:thumbs up:

Nice :thumbs up:

ELFMAN
11th October 2012, 01:29 PM
I wasn't sure about the Clubvan - and felt you could just convert an older Clubby (which of course you could) but the more I think about it, a spanking new wee Van is quite appealing.
If only I could figure out what to do with it! :idunno: :argh: Dohhhhhh! Wish I could 'magic' my running gear into it though... :smilewinkgrin:

ianking
11th October 2012, 01:50 PM
I seriously want a van but wouldnt be much good for my car sharing to work when its my week.

ELFMAN
11th October 2012, 02:05 PM
I seriously want a van but wouldnt be much good for my car sharing to work when its my week.

No problem Ian - a few nice cushions and a throw-rug would do the job! :thumbs up:
Oh dear, I appear to have turned into a elderly spinster from a small village on the outskirts of Glasgow... Must go, the Whist Drive's tonight and I promised I'd do my Cream Buns :moonie:

gauldrymini
11th October 2012, 03:12 PM
...would like a Clubvan too, but I am only 10 months into 36 month MINI finance contract at Grassicks / MINI.

ELFMAN
7th November 2012, 04:35 PM
I was mucking around on the MINI Configurator the other day, and noticed that there was a wee note saying that the Clubvan prices didn't include VAT... I take it this is some sort of Business Use incentive?

Just for fun (not selling my motor!), I had specced a lovely Cooper Van to around £16K, which seemed like a decent deal for an interesting, practical and fun motor, but if the VAT has to go on top of that, it blows it right out of the water, and you'd be better off with a Clubbie. Can someone clever clarify the Private Owner/Business price thing?

MiniSnaps
7th November 2012, 04:39 PM
I was mucking around on the MINI Configurator the other day, and noticed that there was a wee note saying that the Clubvan prices didn't include VAT... I take it this is some sort of Business Use incentive?

Just for fun (not selling my motor!), I had specced a lovely Cooper Van to around £16K, which seemed like a decent deal for an interesting, practical and fun motor, but if the VAT has to go on top of that, it blows it right out of the water, and you'd be better off with a Clubbie. Can someone clever clarify the Private Owner/Business price thing?

New car prices include VAT, those for commercial vehicles don't....

7th November 2012, 05:18 PM
I wasn't sure about the Clubvan - and felt you could just convert an older Clubby (which of course you could) but the more I think about it, a spanking new wee Van is quite appealing.
If only I could figure out what to do with it! :idunno: :argh: Dohhhhhh! Wish I could 'magic' my running gear into it though... :smilewinkgrin:

I didn't know you were into running :smilewinkgrin:

- - - Updated - - -

New car prices include VAT, those for commercial vehicles don't....

so is the clubvan a commercial vehicle? or do you have to have a registered business to have a commercial vehicle?

ELFMAN
7th November 2012, 06:36 PM

Only away from reality! :smilewinkgrin: I suppose I could just nail a pair of old 'Green Flash' to the 'ClubDoor'... Anyway, you KNOW what I meant, Little Ms. Clever :hand:

- - - Updated - - -

so is the clubvan a commercial vehicle? or do you have to have a registered business to have a commercial vehicle?

That's what I was wondering - if you're 'not a business' and just fancy a Clubvan, it makes it well-pricey if you go for a decent spec... :idunno:

MiniSnaps
7th November 2012, 06:53 PM

- - - Updated - - -

It's a commercial vehicle....

Mon the fish
7th November 2012, 07:32 PM
Most people who would buy a van are VAT-registered (companies, self-employed people). So they can claim the VAT back on things they buy for the business. Therefore, any van is VAT deductable for these people

MiniSnaps
7th November 2012, 07:34 PM
Most people who would buy a van are VAT-registered (companies, self-employed people). So they can claim the VAT back on things they buy for the business. Therefore, any van is VAT deductable for these people

It's not Vat-deductable, because commercial vehicle prices are always quoted as ex-vat, ergo there's no VAT to deduct....

Mon the fish
7th November 2012, 08:43 PM
I know what you mean, but what I meant is that business users can claim the VAT back, so they list it without VAT. Unlike for everyone else, who has to pay it

7th November 2012, 10:47 PM
ok.......give me a few years and I plan to have a part time business ;) so my question is more relevant than it might have sounded :lol:

Angib
8th November 2012, 12:10 AM
Just in case anyone think they can get a Clubvan VAT-free, they can't - VAT still has to be paid. But you can get it back for business use vehicle, though that introduces a whole lot of other restrictions.

About 15 years ago, my local VAT office took great pleasure in giving me back the VAT on a motorbike that I used for business travel - they recognise only two types of vehicles, cars and commercial vehicles, so motorbikes are commercial vehicles! But I wouldn't do it again, as it was an admin burden. And remember that you have to repay the VAT on the selling price when you sell it, which is quite nasty lump sum shock.

Scottie
8th November 2012, 12:36 AM
also there is a threshold where a small business can become vat registered.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

MiniSnaps
8th November 2012, 01:31 AM
also there is a threshold where a small business can become vat registered.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

You can vat register at any level of turnover, it only becomes mandatory at i£77,000 p.a.

ELFMAN
8th November 2012, 01:54 PM
Thanks for clearing that up folks. So basically if you don't have a business, you won't have a Clubvan.

weefossy
8th November 2012, 03:19 PM
a clubman with the windows painted, gives you a much more practical option,...... imho

MiniSnaps
8th November 2012, 03:23 PM
Thanks for clearing that up folks. So basically if you don't have a business, you won't have a Clubvan.

There's nothing stopping a private individual buying a van, Club or otherwise, there's VAT to be paid on cars and commercial vehicles and in both cases it can be reclaimed if you meet the criteria.

Craig
8th November 2012, 03:23 PM
a clubman with the windows painted, gives you a much more practical option,...... imho

Agreed ;)

ELFMAN
8th November 2012, 04:55 PM
That was certainly my initial thought at the start of this thread Malcolm - a modded 2nd hand Clubbie would also give you more interesting power/paint combos etc...

- - - Updated - - -

There's nothing stopping a private individual buying a van, Club or otherwise, there's VAT to be paid on cars and commercial vehicles and in both cases it can be reclaimed if you meet the criteria.

Agreed, but an individual 'outside the criteria' would obviously be hit for VAT with no recompense, and I don't see the point of paying more for a 'Van than you would for a minted 'pre-owned' Clubbie (which you could convert to full-on Van status). 'My' well-specced Cooper Clubvan would have hit over £19K with VAT added, where a Business User/company could get it for £16K by reclaiming VAT.

So buying a Clubvan if you can't benefit from the 'VAT refund' would be, IMO, insane :argh: