PDA

View Full Version : Optimax

Nick
9th August 2004, 08:01 PM
Hey all!

Bit pi**ed off today, not getting my mini until September now, new works kit wont arrive until then :mad:

Anyways, was wondering if any of you 'S' owners use Optimax in your cars, i am not sure if it is required, or if there are any significant performance or fuel economy gains if used.

Anybody done any tests??

Nick

Julz
9th August 2004, 08:50 PM
I have the BBR conversion and was instructed by them to use nothing but higher octane fuel. I notice an increase in power but no major change in economy! I think you'll find most S owners on here, and a fair few Coopers, will use Optimax or Ultimate!;):D

Scottie
9th August 2004, 09:16 PM
I have the works and was advised to use 98 Octane which is Optimax or BP Ultimate.

Did you know Opitmax and Ultimate is just SuperGreen re packaged more or less.

Duncan Stewart
9th August 2004, 09:30 PM
Hi Nick. Been previous discussion on this which you'll find if you search. In summary most folk seem to like Optimax / Ultimate - some notice performance gain, some an increase in MPG. I use standard unleaded as I don't notice much difference. Most of the cars with modified engines are set up to run on higher octane fuel so need it.
Hope this helps

Wul
9th August 2004, 09:31 PM
Optimax all the way!

did a terrible thing at the weekend though - was way into the red and no-where near a shell or BP garage - so was forced to put £5 of Safeway petrol in to get to the nearest shell :I - and there is defo a noticable difference!

sleepyrascal
9th August 2004, 09:44 PM
I use Optimax, ultimate if nothing else. But once you first use it, keep using it! When you put regular fuel in, it messes up the cycle!

I have a cooper and I do notice a small difference in performance. Not sure about economy as I havr no regular driving routes or patterns, so it's hard to tell! If you run a modded car, then definatelty use optimax. A friend of mine runs his scooby P1 on Optimax, and the difference in performance from regular was amazing!! I guess the benefit variews from car to car.

Nick
9th August 2004, 09:54 PM
thanks for all your advice people!

Nenah
10th August 2004, 03:53 AM
I've got BBR too and if I dont use Optimax then performance isnt near as half as good and was advised not to use anything else

Gismo
10th August 2004, 03:57 AM
When i got my BBR 240 they told me to use Optimax or equivalent also, must say it does run much better with it :)

AberdeenMini
10th August 2004, 08:15 AM
I've got a Cooper and i filled it up with Optimax a few days ago. I havent noticed any difference so far like :)

Big Gordy
10th August 2004, 04:10 PM
Hey:mad:us One's use Optimax too you know :p:D:approve:

interceptor
10th August 2004, 06:02 PM
How much is Optimax up in Wee Scotland on average?
I can remember paying on average when we did the Cullen run that it was in 1 place 95ppl!!

macblob
11th August 2004, 02:47 AM
Its about 85.9p in Edinburgh for optimax.

The VW 1.8 20v Turbo engines are meant to be run on 98 ron fuel so i havent put anything else but optimax in the cupra since buying it.

When i 1st had my cooper, i just used normal unleaded and then saw error of my ways and switched to optimax :D

Scottie
11th August 2004, 05:05 PM
89.9 @ Inverness for BP Ultimate.

Scottie
11th August 2004, 05:08 PM
Oh, The grade you should notice the most deifference with mpg and performance is the Ultimate Diesel which BP have out Shell soon to bring out their own grade. So all you Mini D's switch over.

X30YES
11th August 2004, 08:02 PM
Scottie... did the webshots link work ?

Scottie
11th August 2004, 10:06 PM
Yip,

I sent you a e-mail. Did you not get it.

R7 ETH
11th August 2004, 10:11 PM
I used to put it in my Clio Cup which Renault recommended but i changed to the cheap stuff and never noticed any difference.

DNV122
19th August 2004, 04:31 AM
macblob - where did you read about the VW 20v 1.8T engine using 98RON only - I now use only Optimax in the Passat as well, but the filler cap meantions 91-95 ?

X30YES
19th August 2004, 05:18 AM
You would use bp Ultimate :p....you get discount girl !!!:D
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

89.9 @ Inverness for BP Ultimate.

macblob
19th August 2004, 05:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by DNV122

macblob - where did you read about the VW 20v 1.8T engine using 98RON only - I now use only Optimax in the Passat as well, but the filler cap meantions 91-95 ?

Im sure its in the owners handbook thingy for my cupra suggesting that super unleaded is used or a fuel of 98 ron. Also seems to be what most people on the seat forums recommend for that particular engine. Having said that others are running them on normal unleaded with no problems, so probably comes down to personal choice