PDA

View Full Version : NMS Server Move - Site Downtime

Gismo
28th June 2012, 03:45 AM
As some folk might have known, I was keen to enable the Face Book Connection on NMS, however, it wasn't possible on the current server package, so, i did some research and made some inquiries with the host in how to solve it.
After a lengthy attempt to rectify the problem, the advice was to switch servers to one that allowed certain functions to work etc etc.

Turns out, the hosting package, which is due for renewal in September, would result in having to change anyway due to being a legacy from the previous host, Supanames, and them not supporting that server any more, so, i decided to upgrade the package to one that supports the latest technology now.
AndyP, you might want to check with them as well if you are still with 123 :thumbs up:

One good thing for me is that the new server can support multiple domains, so, i can move my other forums there as well.

So, result is, the NMS Forums will be closed down around 3am Monday 2nd July (UK Time) for approx 3 or 4 days for the backing up process, migration and move to the nice shiny new server.

If anyone has any queries or needs further info regarding the move then ask away, you can contact any of the mods and admins but ultimately they will have to contact me anyway.
I'll be in contact with them on a daily basis so hopefully it should be a smooth migration.
You can contact me via e-mail on alan@newminiscotland.co.uk, i will reply but allow for the time difference to the USA (UK minus 6 hours)

I'll also be posting updates on the NMS Face Book page

The end result should see faster browsing, a more secure server with much better security from outside hackers and hopefully should see NMS safe for the foreseeable future.

I can only apologise for the downtime and hope that when we return the forums will enjoy the benefits of much better social connectivity.

AndyP & Lenore
28th June 2012, 02:27 PM
All noted Alan. Best of luck with the migration. I know from past experience it doesn't just 'happen' and it can either go smoothly or can be a real PITA.

I jumped ship at the time Supanames changed to 123. I now use Justhostme.co.uk. Absolutely awesome service and price.

A. :D

Burple
28th June 2012, 02:55 PM
Good luck guys.. hope it all goes smoothly.. If I thought I could supply any meaningful help, I'd offer.. but the words 'Chocolate Teapot' might be appropriate with servery-stuff :p:laugh::laugh::laugh:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_wrkCSwvqk9c/SNcVa00zrfI/AAAAAAAAAFk/afYM5nf8ylk/s400/benny+hill.jpg

weefossy
28th June 2012, 03:47 PM
What's a server? Is it a new Mini variation that has a picnic tray for Mom at the back.....

Gismo
28th June 2012, 06:05 PM
What's a server? Is it a new Mini variation that has a picnic tray for Mom at the back.....You got it Malcolm, just tell mum that she's getting a new dinner service next week :lol:

Gismo
30th June 2012, 01:53 AM
Update:-
The new VPS Server has been purchased and i've pretty much configured everything server side.
Obviously the current legacy platform is working for the site and forums.
As scheduled, Monday 3am the forums will be switched off, the database will be backed up, all the current files downloaded via FTP and then uploaded to the VPS server.
The host will migrate the database and then, hold your breath, the DNS will be switched over to the VPS and made "live" should go exactly like that :computer:
Then the forums tested to check no broken links, posts increase etc and then opened up.

Predicted downtime is 2 days
Obviously don't hold me to that, if it drags on then we will simply revert back to this current server until we can understand what the problem may be, but, we are planning for success

stoney
30th June 2012, 10:27 AM
Good stuff should be good for Nms lets hope for a smooth switch over

Gismo
2nd July 2012, 03:14 AM
Upgrade delayed for a day, am too tired to start

stoney
2nd July 2012, 08:45 AM
no problem we under stand

RobSco
2nd July 2012, 05:46 PM
Upgrade delayed for a day, am too tired to start

After all that travelling Alan I don't blame you.. You definitely need some time to yourself and have a few... :beer: ...Looking forward to the site migration to the new server... :thumbs up:

Gismo
2nd July 2012, 05:48 PM
If i'm honest, i probably wont start for a few more days :yawn:

Gismo
10th July 2012, 02:34 PM
Ok folks, sorry for the delay, a slight problem that took a while to resolve.

Please keep an eye on the site, report any broken links etc here :thumbs up:

Edit: The Face Book link is working now for folks who want to connect

AndyP & Lenore
10th July 2012, 03:36 PM
Seems to be working fine at the moment.

Even got the FB link to work. Now to see what it does. :lol:

A.

Gismo
10th July 2012, 03:37 PM
Seems to be working fine at the moment.

Even got the FB link to work. Now to see what it does. :lol:

A.One feature of the FB link is that when you post here you get the option to post it on your wall, still working on that and hope to have it fixed very sooooooooooooooooonnn

Craig
10th July 2012, 03:58 PM
Yep working again ;). Will check the FB option out more when home :yes nod:

Well done for all the hard work as these things ALWAYS have issues :lol:

Gismo
10th July 2012, 04:02 PM
Yep working again ;). Will check the FB option out more when home :yes nod:

Well done for all the hard work as these things ALWAYS have issues :lol:Imagine my surprise after i imported the database from the back up and no forums were showing :eek: :thud:

Gismo
10th July 2012, 04:02 PM
It would be interesting to hear from folks if the site is working faster, slower or whatever :thumbs up:

zimbo
10th July 2012, 04:42 PM
Glad to see were up and running again Boss :thumbs up:, yes I have missed my regular daily visits here.

Stewart
10th July 2012, 04:44 PM
Working fine here!

Its good to have it back, I ventured into TM for my Mini fix but it just did not feel right :smilewinkgrin:

stoney
10th July 2012, 05:12 PM
Good to be back ;) working fine in tappa talk here 😃😃

Gismo
10th July 2012, 05:31 PM
Good to be back ;) working fine in tappa talk here 😃😃no push notifications from Tapatalk now though, will get that fixed

Gismo
10th July 2012, 05:53 PM
Ah, working now

RobSco
10th July 2012, 06:24 PM
Glad to see the site back up and running Alan... :thumbs up: ... Hope all went to plan... :yes nod:

Gismo
10th July 2012, 06:26 PM
Hope all went to plan... :yes nod:Erm, not quite :lol:

weefossy
10th July 2012, 06:51 PM
I can't notice any difference......so it must have worked fine :rolleyes:

silver spirit
10th July 2012, 09:03 PM
Yes all working fine and fast Alan ! Thanks for all the hard work :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD