PDA

View Full Version : Tyre Recommendations

paul1275GT
23rd June 2012, 11:23 PM
Firstly if this topic has already been done apologies for that.

Im looking to change the tyres on my R53 from runflats to standard as ive had enough of my spine being shocked and bashed into submission around the potholed streets of Edinburgh, time to change.

So any recommendations from you guys about your experiences of this change would be most appreciated. Makes of tyres, prices and where purchsed and fitted would be brilliant.

Thanks guys for your help in advance as always.

Paul

RobSco
24th June 2012, 12:03 AM
Hi Paul

Like you I made the decision to get rid of the Run Flats on my Mini and bought a set of Non Run Flat Tyres and on looking at what was on offer in the market I went for a set of HANKOOK VENTUS V12 EVO K110 - 205 x 45 x 17 - At an excellent price from

www.camskill.co.uk

The price of these over the internet varied quite a but with some places selling them at £120 a tyre, Camskill on the other hand are selling these tyres at £81.00 each at the moment and the service from Camskills is excellent... :yes nod:

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m54b0s457p15210/HANKOOK_TYRES_CAR_HANKOOK_K110_V12_EVO_HANKOOK_K_1 10_V12_EVO_-_205_45R17_88W_XL_TL_

All you would need to do, is find somewhere to fit them, some local garages might do this for £10.00 a tyre, but you would still be saving at what others are charging, have a look at what Camskills have got as you might see something else that would suit... :thumbs up:

Sheilz
24th June 2012, 12:08 AM
I'm a fan of rainsport tyres following recommendations by Paul, resident tyre expert. I'm currently running on 16s at the mo and struggled to get the rainsports for the wheel size so am running on rainexpert just now. Am very pleased with how they handle esp in wet weather and best bit these are moderately priced compared to some tyres. Happy hunting!

KenL
24th June 2012, 07:14 AM
I have used blackcircles and a wee fitting place in Edinburgh called Seafield Coachworks. You order over the internet and the tyres are delivered to your chosen fitter. Service from both has been good.

stoney
24th June 2012, 08:26 AM
Hi Paul

Like you I made the decision to get rid of the Run Flats on my Mini and bought a set of Non Run Flat Tyres and on looking at what was on offer in the market I went for a set of HANKOOK VENTUS V12 EVO K110 - 205 x 45 x 17 - At an excellent price from

www.camskill.co.uk (http://www.camskill.co.uk)

The price of these over the internet varied quite a but with some places selling them at £120 a tyre, Camskill on the other hand are selling these tyres at £81.00 each at the moment and the service from Camskills is excellent... :yes nod:

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m54b0s457p15210/HANKOOK_TYRES_CAR_HANKOOK_K110_V12_EVO_HANKOOK_K_1 10_V12_EVO_-_205_45R17_88W_XL_TL_

All you would need to do, is find somewhere to fit them, some local garages might do this for £10.00 a tyre, but you would still be saving at what others are charging, have a look at what Camskills have got as you might see something else that would suit... :thumbs up:

this but i went for toyo's and am on 18" rims

grasshopper
24th June 2012, 05:46 PM
how does this work if you guys get a puncture then, i have a cooper s and theres no space for a spare. wouldn't fancy ruining a tyre with tyre weld stuff.

Gismo
24th June 2012, 06:16 PM
It's the chance you take, some rely on MINI assistance, others use the tyre weld stuff.
Personally i just stick with run flats.
Duncan carries a spare in his car

I was caught in the past with a side wall puncture on normal tyres, MINI assist came to the rescue, but that was a few years ago, not sure on their policy now.

Evo2mini
24th June 2012, 07:36 PM
I thought that tyre weld stuff ruined tyres aswell but apparently it washes out with warn soapy water, cos i was going to get a spare wheel but even getting a steel wheel if you can find them isnt cheap, so thats the option ive gone for at the moment.

RobSco
24th June 2012, 08:19 PM
how does this work if you guys get a puncture then, i have a cooper s and theres no space for a spare. wouldn't fancy ruining a tyre with tyre weld stuff.

I thought that tyre weld stuff ruined tyres aswell but apparently it washes out with warn soapy water, cos i was going to get a spare wheel but even getting a steel wheel if you can find them isnt cheap, so thats the option ive gone for at the moment.

This is what your looking for as it's what I have in the boot just incase... :thumbs up: ... and McCormick Tools were the cheapest to sell it on the internet... :yes nod: ... and it doesn't ruin your tyre... :thumbs up:

www.slimeuk.com

www.mccormicktools.co.uk/product.php/sn/60089

www.mccormicktools.co.uk/search.php?search=slime&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

Evo2mini
24th June 2012, 08:34 PM
Cheers Rob, that looks like the shot :thumbs up: