PDA

View Full Version : Works insurance problem

Cal6344
21st June 2012, 09:20 PM
I am buying an r50 mini cooper but it has works badges, a works exhaust, and a works tuning kit badge with number on the engine, do I need to declare this to my insurance company? If so what do I say it is?

Cal6344
21st June 2012, 10:04 PM
Thanks, yeah I saw two kits online, one is 124bhp and one is 132. Do you think its the later?

Gismo
21st June 2012, 10:16 PM
You will have to declare this to your insurer, depending on who you are with will determine if they actually know what it is, but, it should be a simple advice note to say that your Mini has had the JCW tuning package installed, a factory option.
To not tell them anything could result in non payout, insurers investigate any avenue to withhold payment

Cal6344
21st June 2012, 10:26 PM
Does anyone know how much it is likely to add?

Gismo
21st June 2012, 10:29 PM
Too many variables, like age, no claims, points on your license, post code etc
You could ask either of our sponsor insurers :thumbs up:

stoney
22nd June 2012, 08:25 AM
Defo have to tell them !!! As gismo said try are one of the guys from here ;)

KenL
22nd June 2012, 07:55 PM
You will have to declare this to your insurer, depending on who you are with will determine if they actually know what it is, but, it should be a simple advice note to say that your Mini has had the JCW tuning package installed, a factory option.
To not tell them anything could result in non payout, insurers investigate any avenue to withhold payment

I thought that the R50 JCW package was a dealer only fitted package.

My insurer (LV) showed no interest at all in ANY factory fitted option on my current car. However, when I called them to tell them I had added chrome mirror caps and a chrome scoop to my black Cooper S they classed these as a "modification" which increased the premium by about £20.

As everyone else has said, declare any mods. Some insurers will be better than others as they are more mod friendly.

Craig
22nd June 2012, 07:59 PM
The JCW sound kit was a dealer fit option, however there were a few earlier cooper's that had head work by the factory and made more power which were called JCW cooper's.

If it says "sound kit" on the sticker in the engine bay then it's just the dealer fit

Gismo
22nd June 2012, 07:59 PM
Yep, it was a dealer only option, hence my post saying the insurer might know what it is.
As you rightly say, the insurer should be told and then they can decide if there is any action to be taken

Gismo
22nd June 2012, 08:01 PM
Craig said what I was trying to say :blush:

MINIme:)
22nd June 2012, 09:03 PM
Indeed some insurers won't have a clue what you're talking about, but the conversation is prob recorded so I usu note down when I spoke to them and their name and you'll know you might then have evidence that you told them ;) I phoned up to tell mine that I had taken my winter wheels off again and returned to the factory fitted alloys - he said: "so you want me to add another named driver?" Errrrrr......???! :argh: :rolleyes: Guy had never heard of winter wheels. Ever. Apparently!! Oh well, we inform them whether they understand or not ;) I probably hadn't heard of them a few years ago either...
Not taking any chance of them saying I'd witheld info though! :yes nod: They (diamond / admiral) wanted to know every bit of factory built spec too.

Cal6344
22nd June 2012, 09:22 PM
Its defo not the sound kit, I think its the 132bhp kit. I have got insurance through the post office and it was very easy - I made sure she recorded that it had the kit and she has noted it on the paperwork although it didn't change the premium (?). I must have explained what it was 3 times and she was content to just note it down.

Gismo
22nd June 2012, 09:24 PM
Nice one, you've done your bit :thumbs up:

Cal6344
22nd June 2012, 10:05 PM
Cheers for the advice, I pick it up in the morning!

MINIme:)
22nd June 2012, 10:06 PM
excellent, enjoy the pick up! :thumbs up:

KenL
23rd June 2012, 08:20 AM
That is great news. Post some pics.