PDA

View Full Version : power washer advice please

MINIme:)
23rd May 2012, 10:59 PM
It was suggested I look on tesco direct to see if a cheap power washer came up but there are so many I haven't got a clue where to start...

http://www.tesco.com/direct/diy-car/pressure-washers/cat3376646.cat?sortBy=2

(http://www.tesco.com/direct/diy-car/pressure-washers/cat3376646.cat?sortBy=2)I will have a small monoblocked area in front of the house, not massive but would be nice to consider a washer. Really it's snow foam I want to get my mitts on, love that stuff!

What should I look for spec wise? :confused:
What should I avoid?

What products do you then need to buy and how much are they?

Thanks for any help, I don't want to spend less but end up wasting my money on rubbish. Normally I'd shop for quality and pay a bit extra but funds are going to be tight so needing to be a bit clever. So I reckon £100 is max but cheaper and I'd get it sooner.

MiniSnaps
23rd May 2012, 11:12 PM
I bought one of the cheapies, either from Tesco or B&Q I forget which, and whilst the pump works fine water pours out the sides of the handle and try as I might I can't get it to seal, meaning I get drenched if I try to use it.

The old adage applies, buy cheap, buy twice......

23rd May 2012, 11:15 PM
yeah that's pretty much what I was thinking!
what make is yours?

MiniSnaps
23rd May 2012, 11:22 PM
I couldn't say without digging it out, don't get me wrong, apart from the leaky handle it does the job, I just get the feeling a decent, branded product would have been a better investment.

23rd May 2012, 11:24 PM

RobSco
24th May 2012, 12:12 AM
If you look around the internet you'll find loads of deals on Karcher pressure washers, found this one online that might be of use to you, wouldn't use the brush on paint work though as it might leave marks but would be useful for other jobs around your new home, and it does have a Vario lance which is useful... :yes nod:

www.pressurewashersworld.co.uk/p/Karcher_K2.900MB_Pressure_Washer_and_T50_Patio_Cle aner.htm

Haven't used this company so don't know what there like, but you will get plenty deals either at Halfords, Homebase, Argos and B+Q check them all out... :thumbs up:

rpn
24th May 2012, 01:08 PM
I bought a cheapie one about three years ago to replace a kaput expensive one and the cheap one last longer!!! :confused:

euan
24th May 2012, 01:53 PM
Tesco are doing a double point clubcard exchange at the moment, so you might get some value from that?

I've got a Karcher and it's been great, use it exactly as you are wanting (patio and snow foam). Had no issues with it whatsoever though can't remember the model for the life of me.

ELFMAN
24th May 2012, 06:21 PM
I actually bought one a few months ago (first one ever) from Lidl of all places. They have 'specials' on from time to time, and this was one of them. The spec was pretty good (so I was told by others who know better than me!) and it was £90. Checking equivalent specs (motor, flow, power etc) of 'better known' makes, I was looking at over £200 for basically the same gear. I know quite a few folk who've bought stuff from Lidl at low prices and have found the products to be really good. Works fine. Time will tell...

24th May 2012, 07:15 PM
Thanks Euan and Euan. I don't know what spec to look for mr elf - can you tell me what power etc etc etc I should be looking out for :idunno:

Stewart
24th May 2012, 10:36 PM
I actually went down the cheaper B&Q route and its six years old. Name means nothing as I don’t think B&Q sell them but it was a Mac washer. The trigger sticks on sometimes but that’s it. At 110 Bar it is strong enough for me.

Because of the fitment with my foam lance if it does grind to a halt then it’s a Bosch as they share the same fitment.

You don’t want a big heavy lump anyway so your probably looking at the smaller washers. Like most things there is good and bad reviews for every make. If you want the foam lance I’d make sure there was a fitment for it.

Karcher, Nilfisk, Bosch will take a foam lance with the right fitment.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/images/uploads/pw_adaptors1.jpg

The guys selling the Foam lances usually know what fitment is needed for example a Halfords HP2800 pressure washer needs the 'Kranzle' adaptor. As for power I think anything over 110 Bar is fine but I’d not want to go too far above that if you ask me. For home use around 120 bar I think would be fine.

I have the older Model of this...
autobrite-heavy-duty-foam-lance-various-connectors.html (http://www.autobritedirect.co.uk/index.php/exterior-cleaning/autobrite-direct-snow-foam-lance/autobrite-heavy-duty-foam-lance-various-connectors.html)

24th May 2012, 10:51 PM
thanks Stew, this is just the kinda info I need to help me sift through the 300 different karcher (or whatever) models that are out there... I hit overwhelm just looking at tesco direct!

RobSco
24th May 2012, 11:18 PM
What about this Joanna... :yes nod: ... Might be the same as Euan bought and with a 3 year Manufacturers Warranty you can't go wrong, also has a 6m hose where most Karchers have a 4m hose and has 150 bar pressure... :thumbs up:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_31383.htm

On Sale at your nearest Lidl from the 28th May

euan
25th May 2012, 09:33 AM
Arg, who posted Lidl...I'm now off to go and buy a blooming popcorn maker (and paprika crisps...)!

ELFMAN
25th May 2012, 11:13 AM
Thanks Euan and Euan. I don't know what spec to look for mr elf - can you tell me what power etc etc etc I should be looking out for :idunno:

JUST NOTICED THE 'LIDL' POST AFTER I POSTED THIS, IT'S THE SAME ONE I BOUGHT! CHECK THE SPEC BELOW...

Joanna, I'll be honest with you - better to ask some of the guys like Craig or Ian King who know a LOT more about this than me. At the time, one of my chums who has used these a lot for works vans, cars and garden stuff actually flagged it up when he spotted it at Lidl, and reckoned it was a good punt. Sadly, as I said, it was a 'Lidl Special', so not available at the moment. I won't use mine as 'seriously' (ie as often) as some of our chums, so I reckon it will do everything I need. Now I've said that, it'll blow itself (and me) to bits the next time I use it... but it has a 3 year warranty, which is the same as a MINI.

(I think) mine is branded 'Parkway', which means nothing, but the specification was the equivalent of many of the more expensive 'recognised' brands, and has all the 'TUV' marks etc. It's manufactured by somebody else (rumours abound as to who), but rebranded and sold by Lidl.

found the spec: The ones you'll see at the sort of price of my Lidl one (£80 - £90) are less powerful, have a lower flow rate and don't have some of the features below, but you might not need that anyway.

* Max. pressure (bar): 150
* Flow rate (l/h): 450
* Standard hose connection point
* Built-in detergent tank, capacity (L): 1.5
* Includes a range of accessories:
- Lance with variable nozzle
- Lance with turbo dirt blaster
- Rotary washing brush
- Long 6m high-pressure hose
- Built-in hose reel
* - 500ml bottle of detergent
* With integrated accessories holder
* With wheels for easy manoeuvrability
* Mains cable length (m): 5
* Powerful 2100 watt motor
* 3 year manufacturer's warranty

I'm quite interested in this 'Foam Lance' thing though - mine just puts out a soapy mixture, rather than Frothy Loveliness... More info please!

Craig
25th May 2012, 11:49 AM
That looks like a great spec for the price;). I've given Joanna some advice on what to buy, it's all down to your budget tbh. :yes nod:

As for the foam lance, you can get them from any of the online car cleaning retailers (Polished Bliss, Elite Car Care, Clean your Car etc etc). I bought an Auto-Brite one about 2 years ago. It needs a service but I just haven't had the chance (or balls) to strip it down. Best foam for me is Magifoam made by autobrite but I currently use Actimousse XLS by Autosmart due to the amount I use but it comes out as more like thick milk. Doesn't "look" as good but cleans very very well and from my experience doesn't strip wax :thumbs up:

euan
25th May 2012, 12:57 PM
Craig, I'm still working through my big vat of Megs stuff, last for ages that stuff!

My PB one leaks a bit, just needs a tighten but I've never worked out where the leak is, again it's about 2 years old though.

25th May 2012, 01:21 PM
Arg, who posted Lidl...I'm now off to go and buy a blooming popcorn maker (and paprika crisps...)!

I have a hot air popcorn maker, it's ace. No oil all healthy goodness :yes nod:

That looks like a great spec for the price;). I've given Joanna some advice on what to buy, it's all down to your budget tbh. :yes nod:

Did you? :unsure: :blush: I didn't think you had yet, I thought it was a pending query once I got nearer to buying. Honestly my head is so crammed just now I can't fit anything in and what's there is crushed to useless:dizzy:I'm sorry! Would love to hear your thoughts on the actual spec to skim adverts for - pressure, flow rate, power, essential accessories for this use etc - if you didn't mind? You said tesco was worth watching and man are there a lot of karcher models on there! :yes nod: I would never have thought to look there!

Craig
25th May 2012, 01:49 PM
Yeah you asked a few weeks ago.

110 bar min
Flow rate? - never ever bothered about it :idunno:
Power - anywhere from 1700w and above will be fine for your use.

Make - its really all about what "you" want. I've not liked the cheaper karchers as they lasted me less than 2 years every time. Bosch and Nilfisk are both good names ;)

25th May 2012, 02:07 PM
perfect :thumbs up: thank you!! ;)

ELFMAN
25th May 2012, 02:27 PM
As for the foam lance, you can get them from any of the online car cleaning retailers (Polished Bliss, Elite Car Care, Clean your Car etc etc). I bought an Auto-Brite one about 2 years ago. It needs a service but I just haven't had the chance (or balls) to strip it down. Best foam for me is Magifoam made by autobrite but I currently use Actimousse XLS by Autosmart due to the amount I use but it comes out as more like thick milk. Doesn't "look" as good but cleans very very well and from my experience doesn't strip wax :thumbs up:

Cheers Craig, I'll look into this - I suppose the main thing is the fitment, as mine is an 'unknown' make. It has a 'push and twist' bayonet type connection on all the bits.

Craig
25th May 2012, 02:44 PM
There are pictures on the websites so just compare them :thumbs up:

ELFMAN
25th May 2012, 05:11 PM
Cheers Big Man, Stewart's put pictures of his bits on here I see... not the first time he's put his bits on a website I fear, and it won't be the last.

Craig
25th May 2012, 05:13 PM
Cheers Big Man, Stewart's put pictures of his bits on here I see... not the first time he's put his bits on a website I fear, and it won't be the last.

:lol:

Stewart
25th May 2012, 11:26 PM

:thumbs up:

Euan, Tim at clean your car will know what one your washer will be, the fail safe is send a pic of the connection on the lance that came with it.

My washer as I said was a Mac Washer B&Q special but it’s more or less a Bosch in disguise. Magifoam works a treat.:smilewinkgrin:

Best thing I ever got was the outside Tap and Elec.

Remember Joanna you'll need a length of hose ( I can feel the Elf restraint there:smilewinkgrin:)to go from your tap to your PW. If the new house has an outside Tap then your in luck too.

26th May 2012, 12:05 AM
It does!! there is an outside tap on the front of the house :thumbs up: :smilewinkgrin:

edit: mr elf is restraining you? :wtf: do you need rescuing?

26th May 2012, 01:11 AM
that aldi ad looks pretty good thanks Robert! and if it has an elf owner and gets Craig's thumbs up as well then I think I may have found the one.

Damnit this started as a vague idea, when I had some money again. And suddenly it's turned into a household essential :argh: :hand:

Edit: I mean Lidl....

26th May 2012, 12:13 PM
presume I am looking at the same one as you as there's no mention of date - I guess it's not currently available at your branch Robert. There's also no name so here's the pic: ;)

RobSco
26th May 2012, 04:16 PM
presume I am looking at the same one as you as there's no mention of date - I guess it's not currently available at your branch Robert. There's also no name so here's the pic: ;)

What you looking for is staring you straight in the face... Check the top of the Lidl page along from the Lidl sign, Home and Garden, From 28-05-2012... Can you see it now... :cool: ...It's hiding behind all those tabs...
Now take those Sunglasses off when you're in the house... :lol:

As for the name, it only comes under Pressure Washer... You'll have to be there early to get one, with it being a Special Offer... :yes nod:

26th May 2012, 04:27 PM
Ah brilliant, got you now, thanks. A shame it's monday right enough, especially when I'm flying south that afternoon! Hopefully the offer will be on for a little while

ELFMAN
30th May 2012, 08:59 AM
I can feel the Elf restraint there:smilewinkgrin:

You were going to wash and return that, Stewart... :hand:

Joanna - one thing, the 'Lidl' washer is maybe a bit bigger and heavier than the ones you'll get elsewhere for that price. Not a comment on your strength :smilewinkgrin:, but for storage etc if space is at a premium in the new house. I washed 3 cars with it on Sunday - MINI, Pug 106, Honda Jazz (guess which one I took most time over...)

Stewart
30th May 2012, 08:36 PM
(guess which one I took most time over...)

My Sis can’t work out how it takes me two hours to wash my car and an hour to do her one….:smilewinkgrin:Plus why do I use a Wool mitt on my car and a Microfibre Wash Sponge on her Cooper. :hand:

30th May 2012, 09:01 PM
I will go and have a look at it next week if they still have it, just swamped just now with work, working late, going away with work, tidying the flat constantly for viewings and trying to pack (the packing isn't getting much of a look in!) so it'll have to wait :lol: (If anyone fancies helping me move on saturday you are very mad and VERY welcome!) Stewart is in my small team of recruits ;) he hasn't seen how much stuff I actually have!

Stewart
31st May 2012, 12:50 AM
Just thinking I don’t mind being slave for the day kind of thing and payment in the odd Cup of tea or soft drink is most welcome. But any chance of you picking me up and dropping me back later. I’ve seen your place and it’s a parking nightmare. I suffer from (I-hate-parkio-strange-placeio-obia) it’s a sad infliction it has to be said.... :blush:

Unless you need a run to pick up a Van, then I’ll just have to bring my wee pal over.

ELFMAN
31st May 2012, 01:14 PM
(If anyone fancies helping me move on saturday you are very mad and VERY welcome!) Stewart is in my small team of recruits ;) he hasn't seen how much stuff I actually have!

Sorry Joanna, could maybe have given you a hand if I'd known the date, but I've promised my Dad I'd do a 'Putting loads of things we've been tripping over for months up the loft day' on Saturday, which will probably take about 3 days - there's a whole lot of things...

ELFMAN
31st May 2012, 01:40 PM
Euan, Tim at clean your car will know what one your washer will be, the fail safe is send a pic of the connection on the lance that came with it.
My washer as I said was a Mac Washer B&Q special but it’s more or less a Bosch in disguise. Magifoam works a treat.:smilewinkgrin:.

Meant to say thanks for this Stewart! :thumbs up:

1st June 2012, 12:05 AM
Sorry Joanna, could maybe have given you a hand if I'd known the date, but I've promised my Dad I'd do a 'Putting loads of things we've been tripping over for months up the loft day' on Saturday, which will probably take about 3 days - there's a whole lot of things...

oh yes I know those sorts of days! :lol: I've had a week that's taken about 6months and left work at 11.30 tonight :sad: About midnight last night I kind of hit overwhelm and started seriously considering using a removal firm. I'm now moving on Tuesday with a small removal co. Just couldn't manage it myself, I'd have got way too stressed to have any fun! Shame to delay it but needs must. Stew you are off the hook!

Meant to say thanks for this Stewart! :thumbs up:

Euan if you are going to a 'supplier' and if it seems appropriate, you could ask if you'd get a discount for two? but if so don't buy anything until I've checked that Lidl still have them! :bigwave:

ELFMAN
1st June 2012, 01:11 PM
Euan if you are going to a 'supplier' and if it seems appropriate, you could ask if you'd get a discount for two? but if so don't buy anything until I've checked that Lidl still have them! :bigwave:

Will do Joanna, but at earliest it won't be till I get back from my midge-ridden holiday at Loch Awe.

Stewart
1st June 2012, 08:57 PM
Stew you are off the hook!

:thumbs up: