PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious rattle. I don't like mysterious.

MINIme:)
15th May 2012, 12:43 AM
So there's a not very healthy sounding rattle coming from my driver's side front wheel area. I can't tell if there is rattling at the other side as I'm not near enough and I didn't hear it when Stewart was in the car to ask him.

It sounds like something is loose.

Heard it a bit a few weeks ago but not too much (only on rough surfaces) and not at all over the run, but coming back through Kirkintilloch tonight over some really bad road surface it sounded awful. Any ideas? :sad:

Since I first heard it I've had it in the local National Tyres place having the wheel alignment checked and adjusted and nothing was flagged up/spotted/mentioned.

15th May 2012, 01:30 PM
:tumbleweed:

Is there stuff that would be loose other than the wheel itself? Maybe I should take it into Weavers or back to National before something falls off :(

Craig
15th May 2012, 01:41 PM
You could have suspension loose but it's highly unlikely. A check of the wheel nuts will show if they are loose. ;)

Craig
15th May 2012, 01:43 PM
Did National tighten your wheel nuts correctly ??

Crombers
15th May 2012, 01:59 PM
A quick check at your local garage would allay any fears :yes nod:

15th May 2012, 06:05 PM
It had rattled a bit before it went to National so they can't be the sole culprit :( It was really conspicuous and very unhealthy sounding last night though. Will have to get it looked into when I can get the chance. Weavers times are a bit inconvenient but can maybe get it to National more easily for a quick check over. Thanks.

Gismo
15th May 2012, 06:49 PM
I don't get it, you think you have a serious problem but haven't done anything about it?

15th May 2012, 06:55 PM
this was only last night at about 11pm it sounded bad Alan, I've been in work all day. I didn't say it was serious, I said it sounded unhealthy and I didn't know what it was - and wondered what more mechanically minded people might think could be rattling!

Gismo
15th May 2012, 06:57 PM
It sounds like something is loose.

Heard it a bit a few weeks ago but not too much (only on rough surfaces) and not at all over the run, but coming back through Kirkintilloch tonight over some really bad road surface it sounded awful. Any ideas? :sad:
This is what I'm referring to

RobSco
15th May 2012, 07:01 PM
Would it not be better to contact your nearest Mini dealership to have a look at this or a visit to Peter Vardy to have this checked out as you'll have to mind your cars under warranty and don't want to many places checking this out to see whats wrong just in case it voids your warranty... Hope you get it all checked out and sorted... :thumbs up:

15th May 2012, 07:15 PM
This is what I'm referring to
Sorry if you've misunderstood me. Over a month or two I have heard a slight rattle on only a couple of occasions. And haven't worried too much.
After hearing it sounding worse last night I am looking into it today by asking my friends who are more knowledgeable than me, and will get it to a garage when I can.

Stewart
15th May 2012, 09:51 PM
I picked nothing up over the run down south (only mysterious sounds came out the speakers) and at times especially when I had my phone on charge and we had the music off. But as you said you did not hear anything on the Mothership either.

National tyres I would think would not charge anything considering you’ve just been in to check nuts ect and what they done is sound so no harm going in. Got to agree with Robsco considering the cars almost new first call would always be the dealers as its under warranty.

The fact there is a strange sound that was not there before that is obviously causing concern warrants a visit to the dealers in my book.

MiniSnaps
16th May 2012, 01:36 PM
If it's just a light noise check that the centre cap has been reattached properly if the wheels have been off, could be something as simple as that......