PDA

View Full Version : Severe hesitation under acceleration - R60 Countryman Cooper S all 4

AndyP & Lenore
14th May 2012, 11:18 PM
Here we go again with MINI.:frown:

Three times now we've experienced this problem. As we pull out to overtake a car, or move from a 30mph to a 60 or 70mph road and floor it after the speed increases and we reach about half the acceleration we are looking for, the engine almost cuts out, we get a severe knock under the bonnet and a yaw yaw effect as the engine cuts back in, out and back in again all within about a second.

I've done the usual searches and it seems it's common with the Countryman, although it is almost impossible to replicate 'just when you need it to' like when you take the car to the dealers. Dealers have looked at the ECU log and it never shows up any issues - typical.

Some owners have reported heavy black smoke blowing out the exhaust immediately after the incident.

Dealers have apparently tried changing coils and there is reportedly a software update to fix the issue, but these reports are sketchy.

So, I guess we'll need to get it into Vardy and see what they say.

Any other Countryman owners had anything like this?

A.

MINIme:)
15th May 2012, 12:23 AM
Wish I had something more helpful to say Andy, other than 'That sucks' :sad:

Gismo
15th May 2012, 12:52 AM
Nothing like that on mine Andy and i actually did a power overtake the other day, which is rare over here

KenL
15th May 2012, 06:06 AM
Seems strange that it is only a Countryman issue. Hope you get it sorted.

Craig
15th May 2012, 08:02 AM
From what your saying it sounds like an intermittent misfire which kinda links in with a dealer changing the coil pack...

If it is that then surely the ECU is getting an error code....

Not great news tho.... :(

ianking
15th May 2012, 08:10 AM
I used to get that on my 08 JCW every now and again and dealer couldnt find anything with it.
I have had it once with my 11 S.

gauldrymini
15th May 2012, 08:15 AM
Have not noticed it on our CM Cooper D All4...although don't manage to pass much anyway.

N16SHP
15th May 2012, 01:23 PM
I get the same problem with my S Andy, but not with Kirsten's S. I've also read several different story's on what it could be, and nothing has fixed it. Had it in and out of JC's quite a few times but that was when they were about as much use a 3rd armpit! Haven't been back since they have improved slightly!

Bazthemod
16th May 2012, 12:07 AM
Had this happen a couple of times on the trip away. Going to put it into JC's to have a look at it.

Alanzer
7th August 2012, 01:47 PM
I've have similar issues albeit under different conditions. Two clear issues identified on mine (so far):

1. The thermostat has been replaced and there is now a new version (appeared late April/early May).
Apparently this is a common fault on the Countryman.

2. The air mass sensor was reading very low and the engine management was not reporting this as a fault
(and it should have been). I was told that this would be rectified in the next SW release is now available.