PDA

View Full Version : Countryman "coupe"

KenL
6th May 2012, 09:16 PM
Looks like what was known as the Paceman concept is on the way.

I like the roofline but just don't like the front of it. I really hope the next gen MINI due next year does not have a front end the same as this. It just doesn't have the friendly/cuddly face that a mini should have.

http://i.autoblog.com/2012/05/03/mini-paceman-countryman-coupe-spotted-testing/

MINIme:)
6th May 2012, 09:34 PM
hmmmmm :scratch:

not sure how I feel about this. But I'm getting a bit :dizzy: with such a rush of new models all the time, certainly feels like a diluted brand now.

Stewart
6th May 2012, 09:40 PM
http://youtu.be/3otHpH9pQpY

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_FoXyvaPSnVk/TQ9rUXt4d8I/AAAAAAADwFA/wQZGvpeNBY8/s1600/MINI-Paceman-Concept-14.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_FoXyvaPSnVk/TQ9rLlkD68I/AAAAAAADwE4/6ezRblOxjO0/s800/MINI-Paceman-Concept-01.jpg

The whole MINI Range is bamboozling these days. This is for someone that wants ALL4 Drive but not as small as the Hatch, not as big as the Countryman or as small as the Clubman. Not as sporty as the Coupe or Roadster or as Nuts as the GP….. I take it this will be sold in JCW form with 4WD. :confused:

I have to hold my hand up as I’ve always been a Mini fan first and foremost and yes my R56 is a million miles from the old classic but still it reminds me of it and harks back to it in little touches like the Speedo, the lights etc. Every step I see BMW gently move us, persuade us to come along for the ride while also moving step by step away from the thing that some of us cherished the most that it was a throw back and modern spin on a classic we all loved.

F56
http://s3.motoringfile.com.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Mini-Zero-1_resize-640x410.jpg
http://s3.motoringfile.com.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Mini-Zero-3_resize-640x478.jpg

Familiar MINI design elements interpreted in new ways.:confused:
Interior will also be a complete redesign from the ground up reinterpreting the MINI design language into something fresh and more user friendly:sad:
Although it probably won’t look remotely like this. But it is tied down designers and BMW heads have been in the same room as the new One series and the F56. If the F56 looks like this then I'll be buying one of the last R56 or R59 as it looks more like a baby Toyota or Skoda. Silly I know but there is a certain meanness in a car that attracts me to it and even if the JCW is off the cards for most of us I like knowing it’s in my corner. This looks so soft from the outset I just don’t know how you progress.

What's next on the Mini Chart!
MINI Model Cheat Sheet
1st Gen MINI
R50: One & MC Hatch
R52: All 1st Gen MINI Convt.
R53: MCS Hatch
2nd Gen MINI
R55: Clubman
R56: Hatch
R57: Convertible
R58: Coupe
R59: Roadster
3rd Gen MINI
F55: Clubman
F56: Hatch
F57: Convertible
F60: MINI Crossover
F61: MINI Crossover Coupe
F62: Traveller

zimbo
7th May 2012, 04:59 PM
Yes please, Ilike the looks on this... I have grown to really like the Countryman, EXCEPT for the look of rear end and also that mahoosive mini badge/boot handle thingymajig!!! So Iook forward to seeing this 3dr version and how it compares side by side with the Countryman. :-)

ianking
8th May 2012, 07:22 AM
I rather fancy a 3dr countryman with All4.

euan
8th May 2012, 08:26 AM
Has a bit of an Evoque to the roofline, which I'm sure is deliberate when you look at the sales success that car has had.

I quite like it from the rear 3/4 view, but not a major fan of the nose. Kind of necessary though to get the height above the engine that the EU legislate for now though for pedestrian safety.

gauldrymini
8th May 2012, 09:03 AM
Seems very like the Evoque as said above ^^^

So many MINI variants now something to keep everyone happy:p

weefossy
8th May 2012, 11:28 AM
I give up.....how many variants do they need.........it's is becoming a joke.

LadyR
8th May 2012, 12:04 PM
Like the evoque? Funny, I just thought the evoque had styled itself on a mini :D

KenL
8th May 2012, 12:14 PM
Like the evoque? Funny, I just thought the evoque had styled itself on a mini :D I've probably said it on here before but I can't stand the Evoque. A horrible fashion accessory IMO!

ianking
8th May 2012, 12:26 PM
I've probably said it on here before but I can't stand the Evoque. A horrible fashion accessory IMO!

I would disagree completely. The 5dr is one of the best looking motors on the market at the moment in my opinion. The interior is very well laid out and feels far better quality than any mini.
Would you not say that a Mini can be classed as a fashion accessory as well.

euan
8th May 2012, 01:23 PM
I would disagree completely. The 5dr is one of the best looking motors on the market at the moment in my opinion. The interior is very well laid out and feels far better quality than any mini.

Totally, that's why it's the sales success it is and the Beetle isn't.

This thread got me thinking as I drove into work earlier about the similarities between mini and Range Rover (bear with me). Range Rover have been applauded for being a success with the way they have turned the brand around, and yet still have a couple of key cars that could be seen as crown jewels (Defender and the full fat Range Rover) that you just cannot tinker with as people expect a certain shape and features. Mini is the same and the standard Cooper/S/D/SD is that car. RR needed a wider range so brought out Freelander and Discovery. They appeal to different people and they still sell Range Rovers and yet they don't get the grief Mini does when they've done the same thing.

People want choice these days, a Mini is great but for some it's not big enough. Well, you can still buy into the mini qualities if you buy a Countryman/Coupe etc but they do need to keep the core car with the same qualities. You only need to look at all the pointless variances that Audi/BMW/Merc do to sell a few more cars. A slightly less practical A6 that looks a bit sportier? Buy an A5 Sportback. Don't have any need for the back seats in a Mini? Buy a coupe.

I don't think RR did themselves any favours in the UK with the Victoria Beckham tie in for the Evoque, but that's not the point - it was done to sell bucketloads in Asia where beckham has a very strong image. Bear in mind that Asia is where these cars are really selling at the moment and are profitable, a full fat RR being 250K in China, so things like this Countryman Coupe will no doubt sell loads there too.

MiniSnaps
8th May 2012, 04:32 PM
I can't wait to for the 4WD JCW Speedster Goodwood Limited Edition version, but I realise that in the 6 months between the standard car being introduced and that arriving there will have been another 25 variations launched, so I may have changed my mind by then. :smilewinkgrin:

N16SHP
8th May 2012, 07:31 PM

This thread got me thinking as I drove into work earlier about the similarities between mini and Range Rover (bear with me). Range Rover have been applauded for being a success with the way they have turned the brand around, and yet still have a couple of key cars that could be seen as crown jewels (Defender and the full fat Range Rover) that you just cannot tinker with as people expect a certain shape and features. Mini is the same and the standard Cooper/S/D/SD is that car. RR needed a wider range so brought out Freelander and Discovery. They appeal to different people and they still sell Range Rovers and yet they don't get the grief Mini does when they've done the same thing.

People want choice these days, a Mini is great but for some it's not big enough. Well, you can still buy into the mini qualities if you buy a Countryman/Coupe etc but they do need to keep the core car with the same qualities. You only need to look at all the pointless variances that Audi/BMW/Merc do to sell a few more cars. A slightly less practical A6 that looks a bit sportier? Buy an A5 Sportback. Don't have any need for the back seats in a Mini? Buy a coupe.

I don't think RR did themselves any favours in the UK with the Victoria Beckham tie in for the Evoque, but that's not the point - it was done to sell bucketloads in Asia where beckham has a very strong image. Bear in mind that Asia is where these cars are really selling at the moment and are profitable, a full fat RR being 250K in China, so things like this Countryman Coupe will no doubt sell loads there too.

I bared with it and I see your point, I agree with it and very well put too!

I've never a fan of new Mini's until I see them in the flesh, the Countryman has really grown on me since it's launch and I was mightily impressed with it when I had one as a courtesy car.

KenL
8th May 2012, 08:17 PM

We'll need to disagree on the looks I'm afraid Ian. As well as the looks, I am not a fan of the Range Rover image. I never see these cars driven with much courtesy for other road users or do I regularly see them on the driving lane of a motorway.

The Evoque should be much better built than a MINI. Forget a top of the range JCW, the basic MINI design is from about £12k, how much is the most basic Evoque, double that or more?

MINI is not a fashion accessory, its a small practical car with a bit sporting flair.

KenL
8th May 2012, 08:21 PM

The Beetle seemed to be a huge success in the US when it first came out, the market that it was really designed for. It was built in Mexico after all, next to its main market.

MiniSnaps
10th May 2012, 03:20 AM
We'll need to disagree on the looks I'm afraid Ian. As well as the looks, I am not a fan of the Range Rover image. I never see these cars driven with much courtesy for other road users or do I regularly see them on the driving lane of a motorway.

The Evoque should be much better built than a MINI. Forget a top of the range JCW, the basic MINI design is from about £12k, how much is the most basic Evoque, double that or more?

MINI is not a fashion accessory, its a small practical car with a bit sporting flair.

A fashion accessory is exactly what a MINI is marketed as, no-one could really describe the regular hatch as a "practical car". In the states iirc it's been sold since the days of the R50 as a 2+2 coupe....

N16SHP
10th May 2012, 09:49 AM
A fashion accessory is exactly what a MINI is marketed as, no-one could really describe the regular hatch as a "practical car". In the states iirc it's been sold since the days of the R50 as a 2+2 coupe....

Agreed! I think a small practical car with a bit of flair would be something like a Fiesta Zetec or Corsa SXI or a Twingo Cup.

KenL
10th May 2012, 09:18 PM
Does that means we are all a bunch of shallow posers?

I have bought 4 MINIs because "I" like the way they look and drive, I have no interest in image.

Having said that, I would never buy a Range Rover partly due to the image, so maybe I do have an interest in image!

MiniSnaps
10th May 2012, 09:36 PM

No, but with the best will in the world a MINI hatch could never be described as a "practical car", it has a tiny boot and zero rear legroom. Image is the key USP for all such cars (the MINI, Beetle, Alfa Romeo Mito, Fiat 500, etc) none of the cars in this market segment are sold on practicality.

N16SHP
10th May 2012, 09:45 PM

I have bought 4 MINIs because "I" like the way they look and drive, I have no interest in image.

Having said that, I would never buy a Range Rover partly due to the image, so maybe I do have an interest in image!

I don't think because we own a Mini and its a fashion accessory that we are instantly shallow or posers? Like you Ken, I bought my S because it goes like stink and drives amazingly on the twistys! I bought it because I love it, not because it's practical. If I wanted something practical I'd of bought a Fiesta Zetec TDCi.

I agree with you on the Range Rover front, I probably wouldn't buy one. If I wanted a 4x4 I'd probably buy a Discovery because out of the the RR/Land Rover range, it's probably the most realistic and practical 4x4.

KenL
10th May 2012, 10:12 PM
I maybe used the word practical to describe the MINI. I meant practical as in easy to drive and park in town. I never have anyone in the rear of my car and the boot is big enough apart from my clubs. This is why I like the Coupe.

Big 4x4 cars are so not practical for most people's needs. A 3 tonne gas guzzler that is difficult to park in the tiny spaces we have by a lot of the people who drive them is not a practical car. People who buy one to protect their child on the school run would not like anyone to hit their pedestrian child in one of those.

Also, there must be a lot of people feeling foolish after rushing to buy a 4x4 due to our winters, how many times was it needed this past winter. If was going for 4x4 I would buy a VW, Audi, Panda or Countryman!

N16SHP
11th May 2012, 01:52 PM
I maybe used the word practical to describe the MINI. I meant practical as in easy to drive and park in town. I never have anyone in the rear of my car and the boot is big enough apart from my clubs. This is why I like the Coupe.

Big 4x4 cars are so not practical for most people's needs. A 3 tonne gas guzzler that is difficult to park in the tiny spaces we have by a lot of the people who drive them is not a practical car. People who buy one to protect their child on the school run would not like anyone to hit their pedestrian child in one of those.

Also, there must be a lot of people feeling foolish after rushing to buy a 4x4 due to our winters, how many times was it needed this past winter. If was going for 4x4 I would buy a VW, Audi, Panda or Countryman!

I would agree with you there in terms of ease of parking. My old man has an Astra Design and it's awful to park, you can hardly see anything!

MiniSnaps
11th May 2012, 11:27 PM
Big 4x4 cars are so not practical for most people's needs.

I'd wager that the majority of 4x4s aren't bought for practicality either, most are bought either as, once again, fashion statements or because they are perceived to be safe - witness the number used on school runs in purely suburban areas.

Craig
11th May 2012, 11:41 PM
Minisnaps and Kenl... I wish my life was as clear cut as you pair seem to make it.

Sometimes life dictates what you need and not what you would choose. This happened to me over the last year or so. I'm so glad Ken that your "gloating" at the fact I chose to run a 4x4 to look after my family rather than run what I really wanted which was a mini.

You guys make me laugh sometimes, but in this instance you just come across as opinionated eejits :(

KenL
12th May 2012, 06:59 PM
Thanks Craig!

Craig
12th May 2012, 07:17 PM
Your welcome !

ELFMAN
13th May 2012, 11:56 AM
You know folks, I've just about given up trying to keep up with every new model MINI (if that's what we're still calling them by the end of the year...) seems intent on releasing.

Making my mind up about these 'offshoots' is like trying to sweep up leaves on a windy day. Is it still a MINI? Do I like the looks? Do we need ANOTHER variation on what's just been introduced? Will I offend anyone if I say it's awful?

I've expressed my views about the 'Paceman' concept long ago - MINI apparently made the Countryman as a practical (well as 'practical' as MINI gets...), stylish choice for those who needed more space etc, but they're now trying to introduce 'Sporty' into the equation (despite the availability of a JCW Countryman) with this arguably less practical version of a model which was specifically introduced because the rest of the range wasn't practical enough. See what I mean about getting confused? Aesthetic arguments aside, IMHO it's just another model which some will see as a 'must have', and will be happy to spend their hard-earned on because it's new and 'different'. It won't REALLY matter that it doesn't drive as well as the Hatch, or that it's not as practical as the Countryman, it's new and might have some kind of fashionable 'cache' - for a few months till the next 'latest concept' appears - and it's handy if your finances won't stretch to an Evoque...

On the subject of 'Fashion', back in 2001 and for a few years afterwards, MINI was THE fashionable car to be seen in. It was bought by petrolheads like me 'in the know' and 'fashionistas' just for show. It got more looks than Ferraris and would actually attract a wee crowd when you parked up - I know, I was there.

Now I don't consider myself shallow (I'm just short), or a 'Poser' (have you SEEN me?), but I like my cars to be appreciated by everyone from small kids to petrolheads and pensioners (and remember, the latter two aren't mutually exclusive!), so when your car, whatever it is, gets the thumbs up from your peers or innocent bystanders, it feels DAMN GOOD! The difference with the MINI was that while it had all that Retro Chic 'catwalk stuff' going on, what set it apart from the 'New Beetles' of this world was that you could point it down a decent road and DRIVE THE NUTS OFF IT. It was and is a great drivers car, because underneath the style it had substance.

These days I feel that while all the new MINI models will be decent to drive, as time goes on, Substance is possibly in danger of being diluted by Style, and as a MINI enthusiast I find that a bit sad.

MiniSnaps
14th May 2012, 02:03 PM
Minisnaps and Kenl... I wish my life was as clear cut as you pair seem to make it.

Sometimes life dictates what you need and not what you would choose. This happened to me over the last year or so. I'm so glad Ken that your "gloating" at the fact I chose to run a 4x4 to look after my family rather than run what I really wanted which was a mini.

You guys make me laugh sometimes, but in this instance you just come across as opinionated eejits :(

Craig, I don't recall make any observations with regard your life, what I did do was offer my views, and ones based on having covered this very topic (the consumer buying-decision process with regard to cars) as my dissertation at uni....;)

KenL
14th May 2012, 09:11 PM
Craig, I don't recall make any observations with regard your life, what I did do was offer my views, and ones based on having covered this very topic (the consumer buying-decision process with regard to cars) as my dissertation at uni....;)

Hey MiniSnaps. Suggest you keep your opinions to yourself, somebody might call you an eejit :hand:

MiniSnaps
14th May 2012, 10:27 PM
Hey MiniSnaps. Suggest you keep your opinions to yourself, somebody might call you an eejit :hand:

Is my dissertation supervisor here? :smilewinkgrin:

zimbo
14th August 2012, 03:08 PM
Paceman will be going on sale in March 2013 and will be sold at about £1200 over the price of an equivalent Countryman... :moonie:

ELFMAN
14th August 2012, 04:34 PM
Make a more "practical" MINI :thumbs up:

Make it LESS practical :frown:

Charge more :argh:

Job Done :thud:
Comes with free His N' Hers "We couldn't afford an Evoque" T-shirts :laugh:

KenL
14th August 2012, 08:24 PM
Paceman will be going on sale in March 2013 and will be sold at about £1200 over the price of an equivalent Countryman... :moonie:

Crazy! Most manufacturers charge less for 2 door versions of their cars. I don't see this selling.

Roll on the next gen MINI. It is supposed to be slightly larger than the current car and a four door version is rumoured. If it looks like the Countryman/Paceman I will probably not be buying one. Just can't get used to the look of the Countryman I'm sorry to say.

MiniSnaps
14th August 2012, 08:47 PM
Crazy! Most manufacturers charge less for 2 door versions of their cars. I don't see this selling.

You've missed the point, add the word "coupe" to the name of the 2/3 door version (think previous gen Astra) and the hoi polloi will pay extra, it's a well tried and tested formula...

Burple
14th September 2012, 10:19 AM
I was gonna start a new thread.. then I found this one..

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/mini-paceman-unveiled

I actaully really like it.... a lot more than the Countryman. I dunno.. the shape seems just more... "right"...
Now give me a Works version kitted out like a WRC car please! ;):cool::thumbs up:

rpn
14th September 2012, 10:28 AM
Here are some more foties....

http://cars.uk.msn.com/news/mini-paceman-2013-revealed

Stewart
14th September 2012, 11:31 AM
Ok its got All4 but I just don’t get its placement as well, Its like something you’d have if you did not want somthings as big as the countryman but is in fact the same size but with fewer doors.:confused:

Got to love there desire to cover every niche even if that nice does not exist. Must have been all those owners going in saying “ Mmmmmmm I like the Countryman being a proper four doors but can I have it styled with just two doors.

Good in the winter all the same with that All4 I imagine. Here I'll love any Other MINI just as long as the Hatch keeps its size and harks back to the Classic style wise:thumbs up::smilewinkgrin:

ELFMAN
15th September 2012, 03:39 PM
Isn't this just now a BIG fat R56 though?
I've said before - take the 'Practical' MINI and make it less practical and a bit more 'stylish'.
So they've got back to the R56, but 'Supersized' it. :idunno:

I usually get to a point after sticking with a make for a good few years, (Classic Mini, Vauxhall Nova, Peugeot 106 XSi and Gti) that I get a bit 'fed up' and want to try someting new. I've never really felt this with the MINI hatch, and that's been 11 years now. It's just such a bleedin' great wee car! What I do feel these days is that MINI is actually outgrowing ME (in size as well as purpose) - the opposite to what usually happens. Rather than me getting fed up with MINI, MINI, it seems, is fed up with me and has run off with a new gang, leaving all us old 'originals' scratching their heads. It had to happen sometime I suppose and it's a testament to the R53 and R56 that they'll leave me before I leave them.

Gismo
15th September 2012, 05:23 PM
I see no need for a 2 door version of the Countryman, waste of time, why have a BIG Mini and then minisize it with less doors.
The Countryman was mainly aimed at the USA SUV market anyway

Edit: All that weight in a Cooper variant will take a bit of getting used to, the S version is rated to do 0 - 60 in 7.5 seconds :idunno:

KenL
15th September 2012, 07:46 PM
That was a deep post elfman!

I agree, I don't see the point of the paceman. Looks better than a countryman, but still not great.

15th September 2012, 08:01 PM
I agree too, it does look a bit more stylish than a countryman, but it's not making any sense with the lets take the car that we made more practical and make it less practical malarky. And the vision I'm not sure looks great, but would obviously have to sit in one before judging that.
It is very evoque ish as others have all said - that's a car that I thought I liked when i saw pictures but I don't like at all now I've seen it 'in the wild'. looks squashed to me with inadequate windows!

KenL
15th September 2012, 08:17 PM
Well said minime, I think the Evoque looks hideous. A "fashion" disaster.

gauldrymini
15th September 2012, 08:20 PM
Fine enough motor but I prefer the CM ;)

Stewart
16th September 2012, 05:43 PM
Family just got a brand new Nissan Juke and I have to honestly say I liked it. I think this would be a close match with its ALL4 but I have to emit at being a MINI snob/ purest that would rather MINI did not venture too far from the original styling.

I’ve come to the decision not to be to down beat anymore over new MINI’s as long as the Hatch is not mutilated to death for the sake of “futuristic styling” over Retro that I loved.

KenL
16th September 2012, 06:42 PM
I really like the Juke, it is kinda funky lookin...

I am also a fan of the Skoda Yeti. A handsome car, but still function over form, unlike the Evoque!

Big Gordy
16th September 2012, 08:52 PM
Ohh dear....beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder.
I think the Juke is one of the ugliest cars ever to grace this planet and the Evoque a stunning looking machine. I'm sorry, but off-road an Evoque will thrash a Juke or a Yeti (I like the Yeti) The Evoque is a re-bodied Freelander after all.

Craig
16th September 2012, 10:11 PM
I'm with you Gordy. Jude wanted a Juke instead of the MINI.... Eh no, it's like a wart !!

I've driven the Evoque on-road and off-road and it's absolutely superb. This country has been brain washed by the media and government that anything bigger than a micra is grotesque and vulgar and nobody should have one. Thank god we still have a democracy and can put 2 fingers up to that opinion.

I'll never be able to afford an Evoque but I'd gladly have one if I had the money as it is an everything car ;)

16th September 2012, 10:20 PM
what was the visibility like Craig? I worry that the tiny high up rear window means that if I followed it in a mini they wouldn't even see that I was there.

KenL
16th September 2012, 10:51 PM
This country has been brain washed by the media and government that anything bigger than a micra is grotesque and vulgar and nobody should have one. Thank god we still have a democracy and can put 2 fingers up to that opinion.
)

Nonsense. The media loves the Evoque and the government are driven around in Range Rovers etc.

Vulgar, now there's a good word to describe the Evoque...

Craig
16th September 2012, 11:20 PM
what was the visibility like Craig? I worry that the tiny high up rear window means that if I followed it in a mini they wouldn't even see that I was there.

No problems at all ;)

Craig
16th September 2012, 11:21 PM
Nonsense. The media loves the Evoque and the government are driven around in Range Rovers etc.

Vulgar, now there's a good word to describe the Evoque...

Whatever Ken ! :lol:

Have you driven an Evoque ?

Big Gordy
17th September 2012, 07:55 AM

They come with a rear facing camera as well

ELFMAN
17th September 2012, 08:10 AM
That was a deep post elfman!

I'm a deep person Ken! :smilewinkgrin:

KenL
17th September 2012, 08:17 AM
Whatever Ken ! :lol:

Have you driven an Evoque ?

Eh, no. :p

I'm sure it drives well if you like that sort of machine, It's the looks, and image, I don't like.

EcosseGP
17th September 2012, 08:26 AM
They come with a rear facing camera as well

That's an expensive "extra" on them ... Hang off a couple of years and you'll get one at a good price like others have said this car is a "cult" car at the moment but once the fad has died down they'll be in the bargain bucket me thinks .. ;)

N16SHP
17th September 2012, 12:37 PM
I'm with you Gordy. Jude wanted a Juke instead of the MINI.... Eh no, it's like a wart !!

I've driven the Evoque on-road and off-road and it's absolutely superb. This country has been brain washed by the media and government that anything bigger than a micra is grotesque and vulgar and nobody should have one. Thank god we still have a democracy and can put 2 fingers up to that opinion.

I'll never be able to afford an Evoque but I'd gladly have one if I had the money as it is an everything car ;)

Great point Craig and I'm also with Gordy on this. Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder and I'm glad it is, it would be a sad sad world if we all liked the same things. I was a big fan of the Evoque until I sat in one and realised the time it takes to get into the back seats with the electronic seat slider was just ridiculous. Then the man in the showroom kindly pointed me in the direction of the 4 door version and then it made perfect sense. If you want an 'Urban Off-roader' and have a need to go in and out the back for kids or whatever get the 5 door (Countryman, Freelander or Evoque 4 door). If you want an urban off-roader and have no need to constantly be going in and out of the back then get the 2 door (Paceman or Evoque Coupe).

I'm also with Euan in that I am really not a fan of what direction Mini are going, but as long as they don't touch the hatch then I can live with whatever else they are doing.

Big Gordy
17th September 2012, 05:31 PM
as long as they don't touch the hatch then I can live with whatever else they are doing.

But they have.......the R56 is a muckle big thing compared to the dainty wee R50/53......all IMO of course.....:moonie::p

ELFMAN
18th September 2012, 12:47 PM
But they have.......the R56 is a muckle big thing compared to the dainty wee R50/53......all IMO of course.....:moonie::p

I'll see your :moonie: and raise you :moonie: :moonie: :moonie:
It's just an R53 with 'Love Handles'! :smilewinkgrin:

stoney
18th September 2012, 01:41 PM

I 2nd this ;)

Big Gordy
18th September 2012, 02:20 PM
I'll see your :moonie: and raise you :moonie: :moonie: :moonie:
It's just an R53 with 'Love Handles'! :smilewinkgrin:

Who ate all the pies..............the R56 ate all the pies :moonie:

ELFMAN
18th September 2012, 03:01 PM
Who ate all the pies..............the R56 ate all the pies :moonie:

Aye, the Power and Torque Pies! :smilewinkgrin:
BTW, the R56 is actually slightly LIGHTER than the R53 - so if the R56 ate all the pies, the R53 must've eaten all the BURGERS.... and CHIPS! (BuuuuRRRRppp!) :blush:

From 'Motoringfile' a while back:
R56 MC: 2508lbs (EU Unladen Weight)
R56 MCS: 2651lbs (EU Unladen Weight)

R50 MC: 2530lbs (EU Unladen Weight)
R53 MCS: 2672lbs (EU Unladen Weight)

Big Gordy
18th September 2012, 03:56 PM
Aye....whatever....it still looks phat :moonie:

N16SHP
18th September 2012, 04:34 PM

Hey, I'd be the first to admit that to look at, the R50/53's are still the best looking Mini's in the entire range, but for me i couldn't live with the interior quality of the R50/53's...instead I live the poor quality under the bonnet (chain tensioner, steering pump to name but a few)! On second thoughts, maybe I could of lived with the interior quality...

Big Gordy
18th September 2012, 04:39 PM
Don't get me wrong I still quite like them.....but sell my R50 and get an R56 (or whatever the new ONE equivalent is)....NO WAY MAN....!!!!

On a side note....my missus really likes the new ones interior compared to hers.

ELFMAN
18th September 2012, 05:02 PM
Aye....whatever....it still looks phat :moonie:

I like to think it's "Fuller-Bodied" Like a fine wine :smilewinkgrin:

Joking aside, I think the R50/53 is better 'resolved' design-wise, always thought this and still do. It has slightly better proportions, and just looks 'right'. I've got used to the phat one though, and really like it too - especially mine... obviously! :thumbs up:

stoney
18th September 2012, 05:33 PM
Aye, the Power and Torque Pies! :smilewinkgrin:
BTW, the R56 is actually slightly LIGHTER than the R53 - so if the R56 ate all the pies, the R53 must've eaten all the BURGERS.... and CHIPS! (BuuuuRRRRppp!) :blush:

From 'Motoringfile' a while back:
R56 MC: 2508lbs (EU Unladen Weight)
R56 MCS: 2651lbs (EU Unladen Weight)

R50 MC: 2530lbs (EU Unladen Weight)
R53 MCS: 2672lbs (EU Unladen Weight)

I but the R53 GP is lighter than both :lol: ;)

Mon the fish
18th September 2012, 06:08 PM
On the subject of design - the R50/53 was designed in 1995 - it's aged well for a 17 year old design...

ELFMAN
18th September 2012, 08:11 PM
I but the R53 GP is lighter than both :lol: ;)

Agreed!

- - - Updated - - -

On the subject of design - the R50/53 was designed in 1995 - it's aged well for a 17 year old design...

Agreed! I loved it in 2001 and I still love it in 2012. It's a 'classic' example of 'Retro-Modern' done properly, as it not only paid homage to the design cues of the Classic Mini, but also managed to capture some of the wee car's spirit!

weefossy
18th September 2012, 10:13 PM
I find the same thing with the "S" Type, in respect of "Retro-Modern". It still looks great after a lot of years. I also think the Evoque is great; nephew had one and it was a great all round motor, but it was never meant to be a Mini. If BMW want to get into that market rebrand it as an X1 or something. Don't start with a Mini, they have no DNA that is at all similar.