PDA

View Full Version : :( spoiled my C pillars

MINIme:)
20th April 2012, 01:30 PM
I am very sad :sad: so please don't scold me for being so stupid.

Was cleaning over my windows with a screen wipe and wiped over the pillars at the same time. Yes I know it was very stupid, the light I was in I had no realisation of the damage I was doing, that must be seriously soft plastic. I've totally spoiled my C pillars in particular, with swirled scratches all over them.

Can I do anything about it?

:sad:

Craig
20th April 2012, 01:32 PM
Machine polishing them is the only way I have been told. Never done it myself but I'm sure Ian King can advise ...

20th April 2012, 01:36 PM
bollocks, that sounds ££££££ :argh: :sad:

gauldrymini
20th April 2012, 01:44 PM
I have used Autoglym SRP on the A pillars before, it helps a bit to mask a swirl / scratch but will not be as good as machine polish...

The gloss black plastic trim is oh so soft:frown:

Andrew

20th April 2012, 01:50 PM
It really is isn't it.

I have until her debut at the Scottish Car show in July to get her looking oh so lovely. I can't let her go looking like this :sad:

I'm sure the C pillars were glass on the R50, that was why I fired in.

N16SHP
20th April 2012, 02:18 PM
Ugh oh, spaghetti-o's! I've used Poorboys Blackhole on my Gloss Black interior and Pillars and it tends to tidy them up. Obviously its not a full fix but its a nice little tidy up! Get onto Craig or Mr King to fix it for you :)

Stewart
20th April 2012, 07:04 PM
I’d not beat myself up about it, 99% of Mini’s have swirls on them. One of the few Mini’s that had spotless A pillars (sorry don’t think I checked his rear ones) I’ve ever seen was Ian’s at Knockhill a while back.

Basically when you see spotless pillars its like saying “ I machine polish”

After four years my pillars are not too bad, looking in a dealers at split new cars in the showroom even has swirls, so I just accepted it as life with a Mini.

20th April 2012, 08:07 PM
honestly you'll be appalled when you see what a mess I made *hangs head in shame*
poor Pip. Worth a try with something... anything except a bl**dy screen wipe :stamp:

Crombers
20th April 2012, 11:52 PM
I've grown to like swirls, ..... they make me happy :arms:

Gismo
21st April 2012, 05:02 AM
I've grown to like swirls, ..... they make me happy :arms:I'm with him, plus, i think swirls add real character :Whistle: every one of my pre Countryman cars had swirls everywhere and i still got great trade in prices

EcosseGP
25th April 2012, 08:35 PM
Have you tried a G3 pad with some polish to start with see if that makes any difference if not try G3 scratch remover with a wet polishing pad that should take out scratches or swirls ..

ianking
26th April 2012, 08:26 AM
Rotary polisher with a finishing polish usually takes them out for me. However they are quite fragile and can burn so need to proceed with caution if doing them with a rotary.

I wouldnt worry too much though about keeping them swirl free, they are very easily marked.
I usually machine mine a couple times a year then after they have been gently washed a couple times there are small swirls appearing again.

26th April 2012, 01:20 PM
thanks for all the suggestions guys. Craig is going to help me have a wee look after oxford :thumbs up: I currently have no products or machines of my own but will think about investing in a couple of bits and pieces once I move into my wee house

Gismo
26th April 2012, 01:45 PM
thanks for all the suggestions guys. Craig is going to help me have a wee look after oxford :thumbs up: I currently have no products or machines of my own but will think about investing in a couple of bits and pieces once I move into my wee houseI could give you all my cleaning products :Whistle:

stoney
26th April 2012, 01:58 PM
I could give you all my cleaning products :Whistle:

Pmsl at this I remember your manky thrash and you falling out with Julie cos she had got your car washed for you :lol:

Craig
26th April 2012, 02:11 PM
Pmsl at this I remember your manky thrash and you falling out with Julie cos she had got your car washed for you :lol:

That's cos I told her too !! :lol: