PDA

View Full Version : oil change interval

MINIme:)
16th April 2012, 11:08 PM
I'm probably being thick :frown: but this article has really confused me.

http://www.motoringfile.com/2012/04/16/mini-shortens-oil-change-interval/

maybe it's cos I do a low mileage (currently about 6k / yr!!) so for me this interval is changing from 1yr to ooh 1yr? what's the 5k mid cycle reference about? I don't get that bit.
When should an oil change be done because I have always had it done when servicing was due and this is implying that anyone with any sense at all wouldn't dream of doing that?! I only read it fairly quickly to be honest but it did confuse me :confused: :idunno: Isn't that what service indicators on the dash are meant for? Personally after Stoneys 'incident' I'm not that keen to drag the dispstick in and out too often now! Seem to remember the markings on it are next to useless too for checking so have never got into the habit with this car.

Am I displaying symptoms of 'stupid car owner'? :rolleyes:

Craig
16th April 2012, 11:28 PM
Hmmm.. Here is my take.

I check the oil on all my cars once a week - always have and always will (unless the car is parked up for a while and I'd check it before starting). Oil change every year regardless of what the manufacturer says... New oil doesn't do harm but worn out oil does ;)

Mid cycle oil changes ?!?!?!? So they think oil changes every 6 months? Unless you have a super modded engine or and older car I see no need for changes so frequent.

Plus, you have tlc so surely there is nothing to worry about ?? :confused:

16th April 2012, 11:41 PM
once a week?! wow, I would never have thought of doing that. I used to check it before a longer journey (ie every few months) on previous cars. Presume that what is being watched for is the level getting low? Kind of thought a brand new car would be fine but that's prob not very responsible!

My mileage will go up considerably when I move so more keen to be doing the right thing than worried. 6months does sound extreme. Sure I was told I'd have no servicing / scheduled trip to garage for a couple of years....I'd have used the dash to tell me when! Would an oil change come under TLC if it was outside of a service?

Gismo
17th April 2012, 04:28 AM
The TLC will only cover scheduled services, ie, when the dash tells you, all other oil changes are at your cost.
Like Craig, i check all my cars, lawn mowers, power washer, strimmer, blower and my jet ski once a week, as an ex motor mechanic i just got into the habit.

However, here's the thing, if you don't plan on keeping your car past the 3 year warranty and you only top up the oil as required do you really need to do extra services?
If your car is a keeper then perhaps a more regular oil change would be good for your peace of mind.

My new Mini and Me Julie's new Dodge are both leased, they will only get the services when the dash tells us it's time, i'll check the oil level regularly though but that's it

stoney
17th April 2012, 08:00 AM
Check my oil when get the car out and change it every 1/2 service as mine is a keeper :)

Colin
17th April 2012, 08:41 AM
All cars use oil even new ones, just at different rates depending on how you drive and how old the engine is.

So always best to check that dip stick. Also helps you catch problems early, like leaking seals.

Better with a broken dip stick than a broken engine!

17th April 2012, 01:29 PM
ok I'll get into the habit of doing it more often! How long I keep it depends on what i do in the next couple of years, there's a good chance I'll have it 4 or 5 years. Although of course I want a JCW now I've got more into this car thing... but I can see no feasible way of that happening!

Stewart
17th April 2012, 06:09 PM
Have to say I just went with what the car told me but as I do low miles the second oil change was done on a due date rather than miles. Got the last full TLC service last year mid August that included oil and spark plugs and filters.

I’m rally bad for checking Oil as truth be told the blooming dip stick makes no sense to me, the Honda one was spot on with Max/Min levels marked.

This is the first year I’m considering getting it serviced at my local garage for new Oil and brake pads if needed come later in the year before my last wee holiday trip.

car will be five come December, its just rolled over 27K there the other day.

Adding to that I take it just oil and filter, air filter and new plugs would do the trick?

Anyone got an idea what an independent would charge? And is it best buying all the stuff yourself to make sure the right oil is used and plugs…?

Mon the fish
17th April 2012, 07:37 PM
Would you take your car through a car wash? If the answer is no, then look out for the mechanicals the same as the bodywork. The OEM intervals are a bit of a joke tbh... air filter at 40k, plugs at 40k!?

For the cost of a £40 oil change, its madness not to change it every 5k IMO

17th April 2012, 10:21 PM
I have absolutely no idea when things should happen so Im afraid 40k for this and that, nothing sounds ridiculous to me as I don't know any better..... :idunno: you guys will need to keep me right.

Stewart go to RW Weaver by Cathcart train stn. They seemed very decent to me for several years. No frills and they are a nice couple of guys. Tell em 'Joanna mini' sent you, they may well remember me. That's what I always referred to myself as when I phoned and they always knew who I was! I can try and dig out some old bills if you want although not that recent now.
they're on 0141 637 7898

ps until I met Craig I certainly did go to the car wash!!! I am a reformed character now though. I go to Craig's :lol:

Stewart
17th April 2012, 10:37 PM
I'm good friends with Martins next door to Weavers Joanna. I've just not popped in for a chat in ages as with the TLC everything has been free, well nearly at the dealers. It would be going in there as I know I can trust them 100% being a family friend, not that I doubt the BM place is not bang on as well.

RobSco
8th May 2012, 05:27 PM
Advice Required...

Car in need of a Top Up with oil and I always buy Castrol Edge 0w - 30W as is this is what is stated in the Manual to use but isn't cheap at £16 - £19 a litre.

Just wondering what you all use and if there is any where I could buy this cheaper or is there an alternative, could I use Castrol Magnatec 5W - 30W in place of this or any other oil that is 5W - 30W as long as it's Fully Synthetic.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.... :thumbs up:

Craig
8th May 2012, 06:07 PM
Robert, here is the strange thing. The manual does say 0w/30 however when I asked a technician they say they use 5w/30.....

For your car fully synthetic 5w/30 would do just fine ;)

RobSco
8th May 2012, 06:22 PM
Robert, here is the strange thing. The manual does say 0w/30 however when I asked a technician they say they use 5w/30.....

For your car fully synthetic 5w/30 would do just fine ;)

Thanks for that Craig... :thumbs up: ... Always seen better deals on 5W - 30W Oil, but was wary in buying it. Good to know that I can... Thanks Again... :thankyou:

4th November 2012, 12:32 PM
I see I was as unsure about this a year ago as I am now....

Was told yesterday that my oil looked a bit low and it got a bit extra poured in - but I don't know what type it was... should I find out? Also come to think of it I know it was half way down the dipstick before it was put in but I don't know where it was after.

Was also told that he believed any new car should have an oil change after about 500miles. News to me. My car hasn't had any oil change, any anything actually except for a bit of extra coolant as it had dropped. I don't know whether I need to go in somewhere and get an oil change now. Car is exactly a year old and has only done 7.5k miles. HELP!! :idunno:

Craig
4th November 2012, 01:13 PM
Your in a no win situation.... Your worried about your car needing an oil change but if you get anyone else to do work on your car MINI could say any issues with your car was down to that work and invalidate your warranty.

Your car is only due a service when it tells you (or in your schedule) so that's pretty much it....

4th November 2012, 01:52 PM
so you haven't done/planned any oil change in elmo? likewise I'm wondering if KEN has done anything as he bought his just before I bought mine.

Craig
4th November 2012, 02:15 PM
so you haven't done/planned any oil change in elmo? likewise I'm wondering if KEN has done anything as he bought his just before I bought mine.

Nope, I check the oil regularly (normally once a week) and top up if needed.

Car will get serviced when required. It goes against EVERYTHING I was taught as a boy re car maintenance but that's what MINI want ;)

4th November 2012, 02:32 PM
ok thank you. And does the type of oil matter? I've no idea what Colin put in it.

Craig
4th November 2012, 02:44 PM
I know Colin and he knows his cars and engines so he would have only put in your car what it requires ...

Mon the fish
4th November 2012, 04:50 PM
First oil change should be 10k/1 year, then 5k miles or a year, whichever comes first.

Note this isn't what Mini say, but if you want your car to last, oil changes are cheap in the long term

4th November 2012, 07:39 PM
I know you are right but the warranty is important to me so do MINI get arsey if you've had it done elsewhere on a 1 yr old car? and how much does an oil change cost?

Stewart
4th November 2012, 09:27 PM
Considering you can drive in and they will top up the Oil in the car regardless of if its still in Warranty. To me it is a sign that as they expect the car to find its way back into the MINI stock/Cherished they consider it worth while to offer this free top up.

So I’d imagine they would be fine with an oil change regardless as long as it was the right oil. The only thing is when it comes up on the Car for BMW interval I'd say you’d still have to follow it as then they could flag your not following there set TLC interval.

Personally and I’m one that like to keep my Cars longer than most I just followed what BMW suggested but then I was always on Date rather than miles as I use the car so little.

I’m keeping this MINI at least till probably after next Highland Tour unless circumstances change so its going into a local garage for a service early next Jan. More of a problem is I don’t want to splash cash out on new brake pads that are showing 4.5K left just to trade the car in. So if I can keep the brakes ticking over.

So back to the question if you are close to the BMW interval I’d stick with it as it would be a waste of cash. I think after that its like 2 years or set mileage.

4th November 2012, 09:59 PM
i haven't even got a clue when it's going to be due to show on the dash... !!

Stewart
4th November 2012, 10:26 PM
Has it been in for its first 10K Change?

You can bring it up on the Dash readout in the Rev counter when the next service is. Was in there the other day booking my Sisters MINI in as it was telling her it had 200 miles to go. But you dont have to wait till it bring it up you just need to go into the Menu's.

http://htmlimg1.scribdassets.com/9iusjd2ruo10rzad/images/3-cc2cc32fac.png

4th November 2012, 10:50 PM
done 7.5kmi stew. I'll see what i can find in the menu.

Mon the fish
5th November 2012, 09:22 AM
£50ish for the oil, and probably £30ish for the labour. As long as you use OEM-spec parts, it won't affect your warranty