PDA

View Full Version : wheel tightness

MINIme:)
7th April 2012, 12:32 PM
Can anyone within half an hour of Glasgow help me out with a really simple task? Just need to retighten my wheels since they were changed over recently. If someone can actually show me how, and how tight then I'd hopefully have the confidence to do it myself next time.

They felt fantastic when first on (the best the car had ever driven in fact) and after c 150mi are feeling a bit drifty again so keen to get it tightened. Thanks for any help.

Gismo
7th April 2012, 01:20 PM
If you think the nuts are not tight then you shouldn't drive at all.
I'm sure the correct torque is given in the manual, but, as a rule of thumb i make mine as tight as i can, maybe not the right way to do it, but, i've done it this way for over 30 years and never lost a wheel or damaged one either

Mon the fish
7th April 2012, 01:31 PM
110nm

7th April 2012, 01:41 PM
it's a nice number thank you, but I have no idea what to do with it :idunno:

Gismo
7th April 2012, 01:48 PM
If you had your wheels installed at a Kwik Fit or similar they are, i believe, to recheck your nuts :lol: after 50 miles, or at least they advise to get them re-checked.

The 110nm refers to the torque setting you would set your torque wrench to when you tighten the nuts yourself, Halfords sell them :thumbs up:

7th April 2012, 01:54 PM
It was that 'Craig's Garage' I went to. Far better service than kwik fit. He said I should recheck them after about 100mi, I just need someone to show me how.

Stewart
7th April 2012, 06:22 PM
I'm in the same boat, I've done probably three hundred miles. I try to keep an eye on the tyre pressure every month so was just going to make sure they were tight next time I checked.

I trust the big man :thumbs up: so I'm sure they are fine. Well I hope so as I've been doing a bit of Motorway driving and I still have all four on.

Craig
7th April 2012, 06:49 PM
I normally set mine to 120nm as I find 110 just past finger tight and no more. Never had any issues. ;)

Mon the fish
7th April 2012, 07:39 PM
Just done the stud conversion on mine today, have used the OEM torque specs but will need to keep an eye