PDA

View Full Version : Apple User Requires Advice...

RobSco
29th March 2012, 11:21 PM
I have an Apple iMac running the following and would like to ask a question regarding it...

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 1 GB

My question is, as I’m running Tiger is it possible to update this to use Snow Leopard or even Lion, would it be easy to do this, as at present my iTunes is on 9.2.1 and can’t be updated and Spotify is now no longer compatible and can’t be used, feel I’m starting to fall behind, couldn’t even get an iPhone 4 or 4S because MAC not compatible and I’m stuck with my iPhone 3G.

Would love to know if it’s possible and is it straight forward to do and at what cost would it be to upgrade and is there a step by step procedure guide in doing this or would I be better buying a new iMac, something I don’t really want to do as my iMac is just coming up for 5 years old.

Hopefully someone can shine some light on this for me...

Thanks... :thumbs up:

Big Gordy
30th March 2012, 08:47 AM
What are you smoking Rob....?? Tiger's Lion's & Snow Leopards...!!:laugh: You sure you're not reading a kids book and not the iMac manual..!!

RobSco
30th March 2012, 05:35 PM
What are you smoking Rob....?? Tiger's Lion's & Snow Leopards...!!:laugh: You sure you're not reading a kids book and not the iMac manual..!!

But there's no mention of Bears Gordon, Just Tiger's, Lion's and Snow Leopards (Oh My)...:lol:

And I don't want to confuse you to much, as this will sound like Double Dutch to all you PC User's out there... :yes nod:

Bazthemod
30th March 2012, 06:46 PM
You can go to Snow Leopard by buying the disc from Apple's website. (£26) Slot disc in and follow the instructions on-screen

You are right on the border of Lion compatibility by a few months so you will need to do a system scan to be sure. You will have to update the Snow Leopard first anyway.

I would also recommend upgrading your RAM to get the full benefit also - check out Crucial (http://www.crucial.com/uk)

RobSco
30th March 2012, 08:32 PM
You can go to Snow Leopard by buying the disc from Apple's website. (£26) Slot disc in and follow the instructions on-screen

You are right on the border of Lion compatibility by a few months so you will need to do a system scan to be sure. You will have to update the Snow Leopard first anyway.

I would also recommend upgrading your RAM to get the full benefit also - check out Crucial (http://www.crucial.com/uk)

Thanks for that Baz... :thumbs up:

Always thought it would be more expensive to do this upgrade as I always read about a Boxed Set to do the upgrade at around £130 plus, £26 is a bargain, might even get the Family Pack and use it on my MacBook as this is running Tiger as well, once I sort out the issue I have with it. ???

The problem with my MacBook as when you switch it on and lift the screen to the correct angle it goes on and off at the slightest movement, the only way it will stay on is if the screen is at a 45 degree angle, not much use at that, is this easy to fix as well.

Had a new Top Case and Bezel fitted Free of charge, then had to go back as my CD Drive wouldn’t work and a new one was replaced, it was then I had problems with screen, took it in only to be told it could cost over £100 to repair but decide not to bother, as I feel it is only requiring an adjustment on the hinges... ???

Thanks Again Baz for the info, Will check out the RAM Later and decide what to do, would I need to replace this for upgrading to Snow Leopard and is it easy to replace the RAM on an iMac. ???

Cheers... :thumbs up:

Bazthemod
30th March 2012, 09:04 PM
The box set would give you iLife suite but you can obtain these now from the Mac App store separately.

I wouldn't bother with the family pack... my single Snow Leopard disc did both my macs fine - no serials/ product keys are required.

The screen issue will most likely be the inverter cable to the screen wearing out and creating loose connection. Shouldnt be too expensive to repair just get some prices from authorised repair agents.

Snow Leopard needs a 1GB minimum so thats why I would recommend upgrading. Easy to install as theres a flap on the bottom under the screen.

RobSco
30th March 2012, 09:50 PM
Thanks Again for the Info, I've now done the Test on Crucial and this is what it came back with, I take it the Maximum I can have is 3GB by using the two cards that are mentioned and the price is also reasonable compared to what Apple want...

I'll work on the iMac first then look at the MacBook... :yes nod:

Memory:
DDR2 PC2-5300
Memory Type: DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2 (non-ECC)
Maximum Memory: 3GB
Currently Installed Memory: 1GB
Total Memory Slots: 2
Available Memory Slots: 0

512MB - DDR2 SDRAM 512MB - DDR2 SDRAM

Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-5300 with a maximum of 2GB per slot.*
*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.

Maximum Memory is reached by using one 2GB SODIMM and one 1GB SODIMM.

Cheers Again... :thumbs up: