PDA

View Full Version : What can l buy for £8000

Tam1314
27th March 2012, 10:22 PM
I have £8,000 to buy myself a Cooper S
I obviously want the best car l can get ;)

Anyone know of any good cars going for that price.

Thank you

Craig
27th March 2012, 11:30 PM
For that money I would go for a high spec good R53. For that money you won't get an N18 engined R56 Cooper S and the earlier engine has too many issues to ensure you get a good one .

Best of luck ;)

Mon the fish
28th March 2012, 08:14 AM
Try the forums - most likely to get a car at a decent price that's been looked after. A lot of private sellers still have their head in the clouds when it comes to price, and will have only followed the basic BMW servicing schedule

Tam1314
28th March 2012, 08:42 AM
Thanks, l didnt realise they changed the engine in the R56, do you know what year they changed to the N18.

I might be able to stretch to £10,000 for the right car

Thanks

Craig
28th March 2012, 08:51 AM
I'm sure it came out last year but maybe best to do a google search to find out exactly when ..

euan
28th March 2012, 09:19 AM
It was late on last year Craig I think, so not much chance of getting the new engine I'm afraid.

ELFMAN
28th March 2012, 10:58 AM
8,000 Lottery Tickets? :smilewinkgrin: OR.....

How about a nice R53 JCW 210? Magic Motor!

I know there were/are engine 'issues' with the early R56 and its 'Death Rattle' :ragin::argh: :sad:, but I have a 2008 R56, and have only had (touch wood!) to have the Tensioner Fix and the recent Aux. Water Pump replacement carried out. Cracking car with LOADS of tuning possibilities - and from my own experience it's easier and cheaper to get a decent power-hike compared with the R53...

:thumbs up: :motoring:The R53 is widely regarded as the better 'Driver's Car' and I would agree with that, it has a 'visceral' quality which they 'smoothed out' of the later car - and of course there's that unique Supercharger Whine - but to be honest, for driving fun a nicely sorted R56 really isn't a kick in the @rse off it! But there are a lot of decent R53's out there now for good prices.

Rather than stretching to £10K, I'd maybe spend less on the initial purchase and use the remainder for tuning goodies like Suspension and Brakes :yes nod:

Mon the fish
28th March 2012, 01:22 PM
06 R53 for £6k or so, £1k on suspension, £300 on brakes, the rest on power will give you 270bhp or so

LellaD
29th March 2012, 05:50 PM
Im selling my 06/55 MCS if you're interested - see for sale section (http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?23318-Mini-Cooper-S-R53) as just put an ad up

Tam1314
30th March 2012, 10:15 PM
Hi folks, thanks for all the replies but l think l prefer Elfmans suggestion ;). l live in aberdeenshire but travel down to Livingston quite regular so the better fuel consumption of an R56 would help.
I was also basing the £8,000 on not having a car to trade in, that has changed now and l will have a car that is probably worth about £3,500(partner has just got a company car and given me her old one) so now going to look at cars around the £12,000 mark.

ELFMAN
31st March 2012, 05:04 PM
Tam, You should get a cracker for that sort of money.

Re. MPG - I've noticed a fairly huge difference in MPG with the R56 versus my JCW 210. The older car was arguably more fun, but when out on a long 'mixed' run, the fuel consumption could be a problem, I know I sometimes ended up driving with one eye on the road, and one on the fuel gauge... which I had to offset against the more exuberant nature of the car. I never really minded though, because apart form the noise and the FUN, although it was a daily driver, I work close to home, so didn't pile on the miles except on NMS Runs and holidays. Ironically, now I have a more economical MINI, I actually do less miles!

I'd still go for 10K and spend 2K on upgrades. The R56 is a good car, but you can make it considerably more interesting for a relatively small outlay. I've found my mods have all worked, and have managed to get back a bit of the 'spirit' of my beloved old 210. Best of luck however you choose to spend - hope it all works out OK, or I'll get the blame!

Tam1314
31st March 2012, 11:37 PM
Yeah, l like that idea, although l only drive a 16 mile round trip to work Mon-Fri lm still going to go for the R56.
Hopefully get out and about tomorrow to have a wee look round at whats available

:D:D