PDA

View Full Version : Do you read?

AndyP & Lenore
26th March 2012, 08:36 PM
Stoney commented in The Gismo Man's "The Hunger Games" thread that he doesn't really read books.

I was wondering how many other folk don't read for entertainment. I've read since I was a kid. I'm a fairly avid reader, albeit a fairly slow reader. I read mostly mystery thrillers from the likes of Lee Child, Denis Lehane, Robert Crais, Lawrence Block and Ian Rankin.

You just can't beat the pure escapism a good book can offer.

So who here does/doesn't read, why and what, etc.

A.

Craig
26th March 2012, 08:44 PM
Don't read - cos reading is boring.. Nuff said :yes nod:

Gismo
26th March 2012, 08:45 PM
Where do i start.
When i first started working in the oil industry you had to wait ages for any decent videos to be shipped offshore and even then they films were basically crap, so, this inspired me to start reading.

Like Andy, i mostly read crime, mystery and also the likes of Stephen King and Dean Koontz.

Am heavily into the Michael Connelly books at the moment, you'll probably remember the film Lincoln , another favourite author being James Patterson.

I'll easily read 5 books every time i work away from home

Gismo
26th March 2012, 08:46 PM
Don't read - cos reading is boring.. Nuff said :yes nod:There's a fine line between being bored cause you can't do anything else or choosing not to because you can :lol:

Neil - TXJ
26th March 2012, 09:21 PM
Never been a big reader the odd autobiography now again. Does TopGear magazine count!

Jude
26th March 2012, 09:30 PM
I'm like Andy I've always been an avid reader. Used to read my dads westerns when I was a kid. Now mostly read crime thrillers. Although I have just finished the complete works of Sherlock Holmes for a bit of nostalgia.

MINIme:)
26th March 2012, 09:32 PM
No I don't really read either. I was never a big reader but am even worse now. Used to buy Christopher Brookmyre and Ian Banks books and loved them but gradually found myself never actually finishing them. I just don't make the time to read I suppose. Have numerous half read books that have been lying like that for years!

weefossy
26th March 2012, 10:42 PM
I'm like Craig, not really interested, but have read Lord of The Rings twice and have read Homer's Iliad. Mom is a big reader which is great........probably the only time she's quiet!!!

stoney
26th March 2012, 10:48 PM
I don't read much unless on my holiday last time I went away read 2 books in a week but just not when st home for some reason ;)

Stewart
26th March 2012, 11:58 PM
It took me latterly into my late twenties to even read a book, Shocking! :frown::blush:

I’m getting there with just about thirty or so books read!

First book and yes I know but you have to start someplace was the Hobbit and enjoyed what I had been missing all these years.

I too did the LOTR, but it did take a bit of effort. I wanted to read the books before I seen the films that would influence my book experience sort of style for good and wanted to experience the text with my own imagination kind of thing.

Read a few Clive Cussler Books

Did a whole raft of Terry Pratchett’s Disc World.

Douglas Adams "Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy".

Rowland Whites Account of “Vulcan 607” and its Mission on April 1982 and the first strike back for the Falkands.

Dan Brown “ Davinci Code”

Just finished an "Idiot Abroad" and now on “Long way Round” Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman.

The only book I’ve struggled with recently was the fourth Jason Bourne instalment “The Bourne Legacy” as because I was reading it on and off I had to keep reading it front the start to pick up the story again. The fact like the Films it jumps back and forth so much you can end a Chapter put it down come back a few days later and the next chapter has jumped so much you have to read the previous again to make sense of it. Plus it has reference to the previous novels I have not read that does not help.

Scotty70
27th March 2012, 06:12 AM
I'm currently reading 'Kitchen Confidential' by Anthony Bordain, basically a warts and all book about the inner workings of running a restaurant, great read and will make you think twice about ordering fish on a Monday!

MINIme:)
27th March 2012, 09:13 AM
will make you think twice about ordering fish on a Monday!

my mum has a fish van that comes round to her house on a Monday. I have always thought this was wrong....

N16SHP
27th March 2012, 10:04 AM
I'm not a reader either. Much like Neil (Trigger) I mainly read TG magazine. If I read, its all sports autobiographies. I just don't have time to read for fun, spend as long reading for Uni, usually two or three textbooks a term and several journals on top of that.

Burple
27th March 2012, 10:27 AM
Ususally have 2 or 3 books on the go at a time, sometimes it'll be weeks before I go back to them, sometimes w whole week at a time reading... depends on the mood :)

Anything Pratchett is awesome (getting close to having read ALL of the Discworld now!), likewise with Christopher Brookmyre (He's really funny and a nice guy in person too). Not much of a fan of Autobigraphies.. except for the Aerosmith one and Richard Hammond :thumbs up:
LOTR was hard going to, you have to stick with it through the first one! :hand:
Enjoy a good bit of Richard Dawkins as well..

euan
27th March 2012, 10:29 AM
I used to read more than I do now, but still do. I got 6 books for my birthday so guess I'd better get my finger out!

Read all sorts, real life stories, crime, autobiography, fiction. Usually whatever my wife has finished with and tells me is good, but currently reading about a bloke trying to go round Australia on a bio-fueled motorbike. Next up is Racing in the Rain, pure fiction but get's great reviews.

zimbo
28th March 2012, 09:22 AM
Books!! No thank you. Last time I read a book was when I was in high school many many years ago :thumbs up:

So books and reading = :moonie:

My spare time if any ever gets spent doing other things :yes nod:

Stewart
28th March 2012, 09:35 AM
Books!! No thank you. Last time I read a book was when I was in high school many many years ago :thumbs up:

So books and reading = :moonie:

I'll go back a catch up on the next few Pratchett Discworld books next as I like the humour in them and they really read easy.

I think with all the Tech these days it’s nice to switch off with a book every so often. After all it wont crash and go blue screen of death on you and batteries are not required well in the most part but sadly the kindle reader is getting round that. It short a paper back cant really let you down unless you've lost it.:smilewinkgrin:

I’ve found reading is a good gauge to how things are going. If I’m slightly worried about something or remotely stressed I don’t read…..so If I'm reading a few chapters on the fly it’s a good sign.:thumbs up:

Sheilz
29th March 2012, 12:22 AM
Have been a bookworm since old enough to hold one up. Can Remember sitting enthralled with a Mabel Lucy Atwell book when I was four and gone on from there. Im a quick reader and tend to finish a book within one to two days of picking it up. I enjoy all sorts from Stuart McBride and Wilbur Smith to Tom Sharpe and mr Pratchett. Catriona is also an avid reader. She's read three novels since Friday night. Bought her two for the trip to Dubai on Friday but they were finished by Monday night and wasn't content till she persuaded Munro to take her into town for another pair one of which she finished tonight. Middle son also enjoys a decent book but Nik only ever reads Guiness Book of Records while Darren and Nik prefer Xbox stuff and car mags. Munro never reads books he prefers listening to stuff on the radio.

Gismo
29th March 2012, 04:38 AM
Sheilz, i really believe you'd benefit from an e-reader of some description, unless of course you prefer to have an actual book?
E-reader's are so convenient and of course you only need one to carry

gauldrymini
29th March 2012, 09:04 AM
Never read much in the past but in recent years found it a good way to RELAX...

Just started reading "The Hunger Games"...:book:

Sheilz
29th March 2012, 06:54 PM
Sheilz, i really believe you'd benefit from an e-reader of some description, unless of course you prefer to have an actual book?
E-reader's are so convenient and of course you only need one to carry

I have started using the iBook reader on my iPad. Like yesterday had an hour to kill in Peebles so sat by the river with my iPad and had a good chuckle at the antics of Wilt. Highly recommended for a good bellyaching laugh. First time I read it had that effect now I just chuckle. Other times I do like the feel of a book. I like escaping into other worlds!

AndyP & Lenore
29th March 2012, 08:04 PM
I like escaping into other worlds!

Sheilz, that's exactly the reason I read. I love being transported to someone else's imagination. It doesn't have to be an imaginary world, planet, etc... Its the sense of place a good book installs that wins me over. :thumbs up:

A :D

Sheilz
29th March 2012, 09:07 PM
Sheilz, that's exactly the reason I read. I love being transported to someone else's imagination. It doesn't have to be an imaginary world, planet, etc... Its the sense of place a good book installs that wins me over. :thumbs up:

A :D

Thats it exactly though when I was a child I just loved the words. First book that really captured my imagination was Jane Eyre. By the time I was ten I'd read it five times then read it once in French and then read it backwards. Ha ha it didn't do my French any good coz it's still crap. I loved the story. On Saturdays when I was meant to be helping in the house along with my sisters I hid under the bed with my book and imagined I was in Lowood hiding from the evil Brocklehurst (my eldest sister Hell bent in ensuring I did my share of the chores). Think I've read it many times since and no prizes for guessing which book was first on the iPad.