PDA

View Full Version : HELP - changing wheels

Neil - TXJ
24th March 2012, 02:59 PM
I need some suggestions.

Removing my winter wheels today and can't get off one of the locking wheel nuts. When I attach and try and turn just slips off and am at a loss of what to do. It was fine on every other wheel.

Any suggestions?

Neil.

Stewart
24th March 2012, 03:24 PM
Craig done my wheels last Sunday and said that the locking nuts was not the best. I’m sure he will be on to offer advice.

Mon the fish
24th March 2012, 03:57 PM
- Buy cheap socket set
- Hammer socket into locking nut
- Undo
- Buy new locking nuts

Gismo
24th March 2012, 04:21 PM
Halfords sell a multi pin type socket for this very purpose.
Or, go to a decent Kwik Fit and they may just remove it for you

Neil - TXJ
24th March 2012, 05:54 PM
Thanks everyone. By the way car was in for it's first service the other week, I would guess they would have had the wheels off as part of this - is that correct?

Craig
24th March 2012, 08:02 PM
Thanks everyone. By the way car was in for it's first service the other week, I would guess they would have had the wheels off as part of this - is that correct?

Nope Neil, they don't take the wheels off for the service - its one of my bug bears :(

Also what Mon said, it's pretty much the only way to get them off :thud: I would also buy some new locking nuts (although mini can supply another nut I think ) ;)

Neil - TXJ
26th March 2012, 08:24 PM
Took the car to the local Blackcircle dealer in Peebles who was able to remove the nut and didn't charge.

I know where I will be going for my next tyres.

So nice to get good service for a change, I know it only took a few minutes but still a rare thing.

Gismo
26th March 2012, 08:29 PM
Nice result, i remember having to destroy a customers wheel with an angle grinder to get at a completely rounded off hex head

Craig
26th March 2012, 08:43 PM
Great result Neil ;)

stoney
26th March 2012, 10:49 PM
Good news glad its sorted ;)