PDA

View Full Version : Engine management light on

G19RNT
23rd March 2012, 08:19 PM
Hi there when I was on my way home tonight in my 2006 mini cooper the engine management light came on and the engine is very spluttery and has a lack of power luckily I was just turning in my street so I quickly switched it off any ideas what it could be

Scotty70
23rd March 2012, 08:49 PM
Just had my 2008 One at the dealers today with amber EML, after diagnostics was told i need O2 sensor and reprogram all at a cool £320. The car was running fine prior to this(no lack of power). All i could say is it could be a number of things when the EML comes on. Best of luck.....

Craig
23rd March 2012, 08:56 PM
Yeah normally in my experience it's to do with emissions, faulty before or after cat sensor. Get it plugged into a diagnostic machine at a local garage. Doesn't need to be BMW ... They should be able to read the error codes from the obd port ;)

Best of luck Grant :thumbs up:

Mon the fish
23rd March 2012, 09:00 PM
Got access to a Scangauge or similar? Any error codes?

G19RNT
23rd March 2012, 09:28 PM
I just looked up the book it's not the eml it's the one above it that looks like an engine it says it something to do with emissions the light the engine now seems normal

G19RNT
23rd March 2012, 09:48 PM
The light has now gone out and it seems normal again just wondering if I should use the car or get it checked out

AndyP & Lenore
23rd March 2012, 10:29 PM
Grant, we had that with our BMW. It was an ignition coil that had gone. Was about £200 to get fixed IIRC.

A.

Mon the fish
24th March 2012, 03:59 PM
Get hold of a code reader so you know what it is, BMW will charge 2 arms and 3 legs to diagnose something like this. Find out what it is, then get a local garage to do it.

There's a list of fault codes available online somewhere, and what sensor each code relates to

stoney
26th March 2012, 09:29 AM
Get hold of a code reader so you know what it is, BMW will charge 2 arms and 3 legs to diagnose something like this. Find out what it is, then get a local garage to do it.

There's a list of fault codes available online somewhere, and what sensor each code relates to

What mon said but would get a local garage to do it for you as mini will rape you as they allways do

G19RNT
15th July 2012, 08:45 PM
Turns out there is low compression in the 4th cylinder so i'am not sure what to do the garage think it will be around £800 to fix depending on what they find I haven't used the car for over a month now I have a mechanic friend who said he could do the job now we know what the problem is we will be trading it in soon anyway as we need a bigger car do I don't want to spend a fortune on it as its already cost me £1200 in previous repairs

ianking
16th July 2012, 11:03 AM
I would get it punted in soon as a trade in as its going to be a head off and perhaps rebore of the 4th cylinder so if its still running the now best to get shot before spending the money.

bullet
16th July 2012, 11:46 AM
Turns out there is low compression in the 4th cylinder so i'am not sure what to do the garage think it will be around £800 to fix depending on what they find I haven't used the car for over a month now I have a mechanic friend who said he could do the job now we know what the problem is we will be trading it in soon anyway as we need a bigger car do I don't want to spend a fortune on it as its already cost me £1200 in previous repairs

whatever you do dont take it to john clark in dundee,they are shocking...:frown:

G19RNT
29th July 2012, 07:49 PM
I'am just wondering if there would be any comeback on me if I traded it in i'am fancying an a1 so technically it would go back to John Clark we need rid of it before September as the mot will be out I def wouldn't put it to John Clark for repairs it would cost more than the car is worth last time it was there they tried telling me it needed £1000 spent on it they said there was something wrong with the power steering pump and also a pipe was leaking oil and the pipe cost £180 and also said my tyres needed replacing I had them checked and they were 3.5mm so won't be rushing back there

stoney
29th July 2012, 08:18 PM
I'am just wondering if there would be any comeback on me if I traded it in i'am fancying an a1 so technically it would go back to John Clark we need rid of it before September as the mot will be out I def wouldn't put it to John Clark for repairs it would cost more than the car is worth last time it was there they tried telling me it needed £1000 spent on it they said there was something wrong with the power steering pump and also a pipe was leaking oil and the pipe cost £180 and also said my tyres needed replacing I had them checked and they were 3.5mm so won't be rushing back there

no come back when tradeing in its up to the dealer to check it not you to tell them

john
29th July 2012, 08:38 PM

Second hand engine for approx £400 and an easy swop, if the management light comes on again, stop the car switch ignition on ( don't start it) leave for 15 minutes and it will re set.

G19RNT
12th August 2012, 06:22 PM
I decided to have it fixed we are going to hang on to it til march then look into replacing it then it turned out to be the exhaust valves were quite badly pitted so they had to be sent away to be recut and one valve was replaced they also put it through its mot it only got an advisory for brake pipes so that's not too bad i'am going to put it back to standard before selling it so will need to get the jcw sound kit off it and the 17" bullets etc

Craig
12th August 2012, 06:28 PM
Well done grant. Glad it worked out ;)