PDA

View Full Version : Jim Clark Rally :: 4-6 July

Monsta Mo Mini
8th May 2003, 08:51 PM
Just interested to see who'd be up for attending this event. We usually make a weekend of it camping down near Duns for a couple of nights. However there is to be a special stage round the docks in Leith at some point over the weeknd. The MINI interest in this that the rally is to count as a round of the John Cooper Challenge. This'll give those that attended the Borders Run an opportunity to see how the experts tackle the Langton water splash though I doubt if any of them will make quite as big a splash as GAJ did;)

Information to date:

Planning is now under way for the Jim Clark Memorial Rally for 2003 and by Spring much of the detailed aspects of the 33rd staging of the event (and seventh time on closed public roads) will be decided.

The dates for the rally in 2003 are Friday 4th to Sunday 6th July which means the event will return to its traditional slot at the beginning of July. As usual the route will be a mixture of well-known stages, with a few new tests added, and, following the success of 2002, the rally will start from the splendid surroundings of the Ocean Terminal complex in Edinburgh.

It has been confirmed that the 2003 Jim Clark Memorial Rally will once again count as a round of the Pirelli British Rally Championship, the Toshiba Irish Tarmac Rally Championship and the New Pig Scottish Rally Championship, with other area and one-make championships to be confirmed.

More information will be available as details are confirmed.

Scrutineering / Signing-on
09:00-15:00 Friday 4th July

Rally schedule
Leg 1a
Start - 18:30 Friday 4th July
Finish - 22:40 Friday 4th July

Leg 1b
Start - 08:30 Saturday 5th July
Finish - 20:30 Saturday 5th July

Leg 2
StartÂ* - 08:00 Sunday 6th July
Finish - 13:00 Sunday 6th July followed by the prizegiving

All the above at Ocean Terminal, Leith, Edinburgh

Linda M
8th May 2003, 09:10 PM
Sorry, we'll be packing boxes :dead: Getting ready to be homeless :eek: By the way there will be 2 MINI's looking for homes !!!!

Monsta Mo Mini
8th May 2003, 10:01 PM
:eek::eek::eek::question::question::question::ques tion::question: Huh?

Linda M
8th May 2003, 11:47 PM
Someone's went and bought our house Calum :eek::D:D
We're going to live with Willie's folks as of the 1st of August because we want to take our time to get the 'right' house.

It's just a bit of a hassle having '4' cars to cart around though, we're having to think hard about where Daisy and Stouff will live or what we do with them :eek:

john
8th May 2003, 11:57 PM
I will be there but I will not be in my MINI;)
I will be on the notes in a Pepper white challenge Cooper:)

I will try to wave as we pass:D

wish us luck

GAJ
9th May 2003, 12:32 AM
quote:Originally posted by Linda M

Someone's went and bought our house Calum :eek::D:D
We're going to live with Willie's folks as of the 1st of August because we want to take our time to get the 'right' house.

It's just a bit of a hassle having '4' cars to cart around though, we're having to think hard about where Daisy and Stouff will live or what we do with them :eek:

I'll look after Daisy for you:evil::evil::evil:

Wul
9th May 2003, 01:16 AM
Linda - you could camp out in Bonnie Scotlands Burberry awning;)

Good luck with the hoose hunting and hope the in-laws don't drive you daft!:p

Gismo
9th May 2003, 03:16 AM
I just learned how to get there as well!!

Bonnie Scotland

PS, i've got a drive that can hold 4 mini's

john
9th May 2003, 04:03 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

I just learned how to get there as well!!

Bonnie Scotland

PS, i've got a drive that can hold 4 mini's

Only 4:Dshame

I could squeeze in about 10:D:D:Dand sometimes do!!!!

Linda M
9th May 2003, 06:19 AM
Hang on......the missives have still to be signed so I'm not parting with anything 'just' yet, in case it all falls through :clown:
But watch this space :question::question:

Monsta Mo Mini
16th May 2003, 12:33 AM
Bump!

Come on everyone - where is you're sense of adventure?

lightbody
16th May 2003, 06:35 PM
If you're considering getting rid of 2 cars, the MINIs should be last on your list! :D

Woz
17th May 2003, 12:01 AM
What are the other two cars. They would have to be something special to make me keep them over my mini

Linda M
17th May 2003, 12:31 AM
Sorry for disrupting your thread Calum, you can delete and clean up if you want :clown:

In answer to Woz, I have a little Jeep and Willie has a RR.
But we've been having loads of fun viewing houses in the MINI's cos most of them have been on neat twisty roads :D The problem is that we have room up here for about 10 cars and we've got a 3 car garage and we're finding it really hard to find places with such big parking areas :I

Gismo
17th May 2003, 02:30 AM
quote:Originally posted by Linda M

In answer to Woz, I have a little Jeep and Willie has a RR. :IWell, Reliant Robin or Rolls Royce ;)

Bonnie Scotland

Willie M
17th May 2003, 07:02 AM
Happily :D, the former ;):cool:

john
4th June 2003, 07:35 AM
getting this post back on track,Who is going along????????????

Tony
5th June 2003, 11:04 PM
Im going!

heading off on holiday that friday, and thought we would have a stop off in Edinburgh on the Friday to see the SS down at Leith Docks.

Will bring back some memories for me, from when i used to compete and marshall.........

Ill give you a nod, john, as you come past!

Monsta Mo Mini
19th June 2003, 07:25 PM
Who is coming along on the Friday night to see the SS at Leith Docks?
We've had to have a change of plan and can no longer go down the borders on the Saturday. I was thinking it would be good to see the MINI Coopers doing their bit then go for a few drinks down the shore.

3GGG
19th June 2003, 10:25 PM
quote:Originally posted by Monsta Mo Mini

Who is coming along on the Friday night to see the SS at Leith Docks?
We've had to have a change of plan and can no longer go down the borders on the Saturday. I was thinking it would be good to see the MINI Coopers doing their bit then go for a few drinks down the shore.

Put me down for that please :p

macblob
20th June 2003, 01:29 AM
I should manage that :)

any excuse for a wee drinky

Willie M
22nd June 2003, 06:40 AM
Sounds good. We might just make it, will confirm nearer the time.

john
23rd June 2003, 07:46 AM
more to the point who wants a big bevy on the saturday so I can join in too:(

Mr P
25th June 2003, 10:07 PM
Sounds like a top nite oot! Almost wish i wasnt going to Florida on Friday...........almost!
Its a close call though.As a local man i would urge all those wavering to get down to the SS at Leith and then 'trawl' the pubs on the shore before ending up in the excellent Port of Leith pub in Consitution Street for a night to remember!!
Im just sorry to be missing it!!!
Ah Well!

Tahra
25th June 2003, 11:53 PM
Is this a definate yet ?? I'll still be a resident of the Shore (technically) Got a couple of weeks to go before I hand over my keys, though my missives arent signed yet either so fingers crossed. Managed to get the flat sold in 3 weeks, 5 days too late for the Perthshire run.:evil: Anyway it would be good to see a few faces before the early start at Stirling !

Monsta Mo Mini
26th June 2003, 02:00 AM
So far we have:
Monsta Mo Mini
GAJ
Macblob
3GGG
Tony
Willie & Linda
Tarha

I'll confirm what's happening once I know the timetable for the event.....John??????

3GGG
30th June 2003, 09:52 PM

So far we have:
Monsta Mo Mini
GAJ
Macblob
3GGG
Tony
Willie & Linda
Tarha

I'll confirm what's happening once I know the timetable for the event.....John??????

I just noticed that there was mention in the Scotsman weekend magazine that the Italian Job stunt driver "Paul Swift" will be demonstating his skills on the Friday evening at the keyside.

Wul
1st July 2003, 04:46 PM
If you get the Sun Today the motorsport pull out section is all about this weekends JC Rally - also got vouchers for a pound off entry and a pound off the programme.

It's also got the itinerary and special stage layout for Fri night - according to it the actual SS starts at 7.30pm.

Monsta Mo Mini
1st July 2003, 04:59 PM
Wul - are you coming along?

I reckon the best thing to do is meet at the Waterline on the Shore from 6pm for a few beers then take it from there. It's only a 5 minute walk over to OT from there.

Wul
1st July 2003, 05:26 PM
I'd love to come along but can't say yae or nae at the mo (no surprise there! - think i'll change my username to "maybesayemaybesnaw"! I may be on taxi duty that night for the wife, but could nip down for a fizzy pop!

Will let you chaps know on Fri - or will just appear like David Blane but with a bit more conversation!

Where is the waterline (no stupid answers now - i know it's where the water stops!) on the shore - is it on the Malmaison half of the shore?

From what i could make out the SS route is around the perimeter of the Brittania Quay section of OT.

Wul
1st July 2003, 05:33 PM
this may be useful too!

http://www.jcmr.u-net.com/jcmr/Forms/Regs2003.pdf

macblob
1st July 2003, 06:20 PM
i dont finish work in haddington till 6pm but should be able to make it down there for around 7pm. Just up the rd so ill leg it down once i get in .

3GGG
1st July 2003, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the tip on the Sun - I got 2 copies for the vouchers today :)

Tahra
1st July 2003, 09:36 PM
Nah, the Waterline's on the other half of the Shore. Same side but along from The King's Whark, Pizza Express and the Malt& Hops... not that I know the pubs down there well or anything.......

john
3rd July 2003, 06:02 PM
This is me Signing off NMS to head on down for the big event:D:D:D

Sorry but cant give you anymore info than the sun newspaper but after signing on and recce I will have some more info and will call Calum with an update.:D:D:D:D:D

Willie M
3rd July 2003, 08:38 PM
Best of luck John :)
I think Linda and I are going to struggle to make it through on Friday night :disapprove:. Haven't completely given up hope yet but it's looking unlikely :(
Have a good one all of you and remember to drive 'safely' home after the event :cool: Don't let those rally cars encourage you :eek:

macblob
4th July 2003, 03:03 AM
Is it still the Waterline at 6pm?

Going into work an hr or so early so ill make it ok if i drive home like a maniac:evil: and then run down the rd

Monsta Mo Mini
4th July 2003, 04:58 PM
6 - 6.30pm. Gotta have some T first. My mobile is 07712 765216 if anyone wants to contact me.

John is going to contact me about time's etc but I think the international class cars start going through the stage from 7.30. I would think that the coopers might be fairly well down the running list.

Tarah - how will we know who you are?

Wul
4th July 2003, 05:30 PM
sorry guys - i cannae make it tonight:(

Having to work on and then do taxi duties, have fun!

Best of Luck John!

3GGG
4th July 2003, 06:10 PM
OK hope to see you all tonight if I don't get lost - not being too familiar with Leith Docs;)

I have managed to locate Ocean Terminal on my GPS by comparing the map in the Sun.

Where is the Waterfront in relation to OT?

What about parking down there?

I read that 7pm is when the rally show starts (I imagine the MINI stunt driving) so don't want to miss that.:p

3GGG
4th July 2003, 06:22 PM
Sorry, I found it on the Internet and have it programmed into the GPS now.

http://www.edinburgh-waterfront.com/map21.html

quote:Originally posted by 3GGG

OK hope to see you all tonight if I don't get lost - not being too familiar with Leith Docs;)

I have managed to locate Ocean Terminal on my GPS by comparing the map in the Sun.

Where is the Waterfront in relation to OT?

What about parking down there?

I read that 7pm is when the rally show starts (I imagine the MINI stunt driving) so don't want to miss that.:p

Tahra
4th July 2003, 07:36 PM
quote:
Tarah - how will we know who you are?

Hullo,
I was just going to ask the same thing. We should be there just after 6 unless John's bus from the Gyle does its usual and goes via Outer Mongolia. Ive got longish dark hair and normal height - J's quite a bit taller with glasses - does that help.:question:
Im not on chauffering duties so Ill be the one drinking Guiness!:D

tahra

Monsta Mo Mini
4th July 2003, 08:14 PM
We'll see you there. I'm the big guy with tin tin hair and glasses and will have an unfeasibly large camera with me. Look out for David (3GGG) he's the stressed lookinng one with a breard.

GAJ has said he'll try and get down aswell but may be a little bit late.

macblob
4th July 2003, 10:35 PM
Ill be there for 6, went into work early so leaving at 4.30pm , should make it home and down the rd no bother
cya there
Im the big , fat , bald , ugly one

Monsta Mo Mini
4th July 2003, 10:40 PM
brian - call me and I'll get you down the road. Meet you at Pilrig.

macblob
4th July 2003, 10:45 PM
ok , no probs calum:D

3GGG
5th July 2003, 12:44 AM

We'll see you there. I'm the big guy with tin tin hair and glasses and will have an unfeasibly large camera with me. Look out for David (3GGG) he's the stressed lookinng one with a breard.

Stressed - tell me about it - anyway looking forward to chilling out tonight - final check list - MINI washed - tank of Optimax, GPS programmed, 2 copies of the Sun Motor sport special, Sunglasses, camera (small), some cash, wife - where has she gone now? ... :D:cool:

3GGG
5th July 2003, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the great time yesterday evening, I really did enjoy meeting old and new faces alike. Hadn't realised what a groovy place Leith had become.:cool:

Sorry that Pat was not feeling so great with the hay fever and total disinterest in motor sports, but she has had a hard week with exams and getting a new job, so is quite worn out, poor thing.:sleepy:

She did enjoy meeting you all however and thought the band at the pub were ace.:cool:

I'm just going off to download the photos from the camera and see if any are worth posting.

Cheers

macblob
5th July 2003, 07:57 PM
Good to put some faces to the names.

Im just up with a bad hangover, hope ur feelin good Gary lol

The Port of Lieth , what a boozer!!!!:D:D:D

3GGG
5th July 2003, 08:28 PM
The intrepid Zooooooom and Rona Sarafilovic pose for the official NMS Photo.

http://www.mini2.com/gallery/personal/3GGG/johnrona.jpg

3GGG
5th July 2003, 08:31 PM
Zoooooming off for the start of the 2nd run.
http://www.mini2.com/gallery/personal/3GGG/zoomingoff.jpg

3GGG
5th July 2003, 08:33 PM
Exiting the second corner on the 2nd run at Leith.
http://www.mini2.com/gallery/personal/3GGG/sarafilovic134.jpg

3GGG
5th July 2003, 08:34 PM
The Steak Bridie MINI
http://www.mini2.com/gallery/personal/3GGG/steakbridie.jpg

3GGG
5th July 2003, 08:36 PM
Inside the Steak Bridie
http://www.mini2.com/gallery/personal/3GGG/insidethebridie_.jpg

3GGG
5th July 2003, 08:37 PM
The kids help with cleaning the car for 2nd run.
http://www.mini2.com/gallery/personal/3GGG/carwash134.jpg

3GGG
5th July 2003, 08:45 PM
Roving reporter Calum
http://www.mini2.com/gallery/personal/3GGG/calum.jpg

3GGG
5th July 2003, 08:46 PM
Nice azure
http://www.mini2.com/gallery/personal/3GGG/k1mur119.jpg

3GGG
5th July 2003, 08:48 PM
Not sure about those wheels.
http://www.mini2.com/gallery/personal/3GGG/murray119.jpg

3GGG
5th July 2003, 08:50 PM
These were not taken through beer goggles.
This is difficult with a point and shoot Digital Camera!
http://www.mini2.com/gallery/personal/3GGG/smith118.jpg

sh@z
5th July 2003, 08:50 PM
oh damnit... i missed u guys... must have left a bit too early :(

anyhow any of u guys going down today?

GAJ
5th July 2003, 10:53 PM
quote:Originally posted by macblob

Good to put some faces to the names.

Im just up with a bad hangover, hope ur feelin good Gary lol

The Port of Lieth , what a boozer!!!!:D:D:D

I am clinically dead!!:dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::d ead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead:

Willie M
6th July 2003, 07:08 AM
Looks like you all had a great time (especially GAJ ;)) :D
Great pics David, makes me feel even more miserable about missing out :(

How did Rona and John get on? Anyone know:question:

3GGG
6th July 2003, 07:15 AM
quote:Originally posted by Willie M

Looks like you all had a great time (especially GAJ ;)) :D
Great pics David, makes me feel even more miserable about missing out :(

How did Rona and John get on? Anyone know:question:

They were 11th in class.:cool:

Full results are on http://www.brcweb.co.uk/results/jcmr_03/2/current.html

Sorry you didn't make it along Willie & Linda.:(

macblob
6th July 2003, 08:31 AM
I only just feel better just now lol

No more beer!!!

Drinking with gaj is a dangerous activity lol:p

I went down to Duns today and saw the minis coming through the finish bit.

Forgot to take the dam camera in my hungover state though

But what a wee road linking Duns to the A1, was empty , lots of great twisty bits to blow the cobwebs away

sh@z
6th July 2003, 09:10 PM
congrats on the performance john/rhona :)

Linda M
7th July 2003, 02:51 AM
Looked FUN :) I hate this moving house lark, it interferes with my MINI social life :( But I have to find a new home for Daisy and Stouff :clown:

john
7th July 2003, 03:39 AM
I will do a report on the rally later but for now Linda I have found a home for Daisy,Ian Murray is looking for another:D

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35275

sh@z
7th July 2003, 05:05 AM
Oh my god... hope he is OK... thats on hellova 'OFF'...

Glad you guys were ok :)

Alistair Mcaig was at school with me... dunno how well u know him John but chances of seeing him there haha :D..

When/where is the next jim clark sesh?

3GGG
7th July 2003, 05:52 AM
John, glad that he is OK.
Do you know what happened to the other car that retired earlier? (Kyle 136)

Not being at all familiar with the rules of rallying, can you explain how the 'scratch times' work? Searched everywhere but couldn't find anything that explained it.

Looking forward to your report in due course.

macblob
7th July 2003, 05:59 AM
OWWW that crash looked like a sore one, hope he is ok,
and congrats John on the result :D

turbotaxi
7th July 2003, 07:06 PM
Brian (MacBlob),

Sorry we couldn't make it down to the rally with you on Sat. We could have shown you Mini lot what a proper car looks like! lol Just sobered up from the Ball we went to on Sat night, thought we might have seen you on Sun but don't worry as we can catch up soon.

Cheers
Hugh

K1MUR
16th July 2003, 05:50 PM
Just joined your site - I am fine and car is in a bit of a state!

A new mini Adventure is on the way, in the form of a new car in a new colour - all be revealed at Fintray and Knockhill in a few weeks !!!

Still have my old mini (and the amazing orange wheels!) for spares package though!

Ian

sh@z
18th July 2003, 05:27 AM
glad to see your ok mate, i was floating about the saturday, didnt make the sunday tho..

jus good to see all's well :)

shaz