PDA

View Full Version : Ipad 3

Scottie
16th March 2012, 07:15 PM
Anyone know where and who will have these instock as I fancy treating myself to one this weekend.
Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e using Tapatalk

Craig
16th March 2012, 07:25 PM
Anyone know where and who will have these instock as I fancy treating myself to one this weekend.

Ask Baz he might be able to help ;)

Scottie
16th March 2012, 07:28 PM
he might read this hopefully

Bazthemod
16th March 2012, 07:50 PM
Try your local Currys and PC World - Lot's of stock available this time round and available on reserve and collect.

Don't forget your AppleCare also ;)

AndyP & Lenore
16th March 2012, 07:58 PM
Try your local Currys and PC World - Lot's of stock available this time round and available on reserve and collect.

Such a company man. :lol:

A.:D

Bazthemod
16th March 2012, 08:34 PM
Such a company man. :lol:

A.:D

Grudgingly haha

Gismo
16th March 2012, 08:51 PM
Am sorely tempted to get one

Scottie
16th March 2012, 09:40 PM
Got it. PC World Falkirk. Black 32gb. Happy because I really notice a change from my original iPad to this the iPad 3 using side by side the screen is much better and the whole thing is faster.

Bazthemod
16th March 2012, 10:30 PM
Nice one... I was tempted when unboxing the demo units last night getting ready for today. Cant stop browsing to the same websites on both iPads to show the difference.

Craig
16th March 2012, 11:02 PM
It's very tempting .... ;)

Sportspack Mark
16th March 2012, 11:48 PM
i don't see the point in them to be honest! lol

MINIme:)
17th March 2012, 02:51 AM
I have to agree with Mark, but I'm not very gadget orientated. If you have to be near your wireless to use it, why not just use your flippin laptop?! Or are you buying online time?

Neil - TXJ
17th March 2012, 08:26 AM
As anybody seen any decent deals on the iPad 2 now that the 3 is out?

Cheers.

The Dogfather
17th March 2012, 08:54 AM
Because a laptop is bulkier and heavier, you can get a 3G SIM enabled iPad which will allow you to use it anywhere there’s a decent mobile signal. Plus 4G when it arrives will be quicker than most people’s home WiFi

Sportspack Mark
17th March 2012, 09:13 AM
I like my MacBook Pro too much to have the need for an iPad :D

Bazthemod
17th March 2012, 09:27 AM
Theres around £80 off each model of the iPad 2 now. We are selling through well but no doubt it could get another price bump to shift the last few.

The 16GB iPad 2 range will not drop any further though as they are continuing.

Neil - TXJ
17th March 2012, 01:15 PM
Theres around £80 off each model of the iPad 2 now. We are selling through well but no doubt it could get another price bump to shift the last few.

The 16GB iPad 2 range will not drop any further though as they are continuing.

Thanks. Will keep my eye open to see if further drop happens to shift last few.

By the way, do you know when an apple store is opening in Edinburgh. Thought it was coming to princes st in the old burger king and see Cancom is closing.

Bazthemod
17th March 2012, 08:06 PM
It's all rumour at moment and has been for few years.

It's not something they ever tell us lol ... if they ever do Edinburgh it will be on a big scale such as Buchannan Street in Glasgow I would imagine. So they will rather wait on a special site becoming available than doing a standard format Apple Store like Aberdeen/braehead for example.

At the moment they are doing more 'Shop in Shops' like mine as they are quick to turnaround and proving successful.

Craig
17th March 2012, 08:59 PM
I have an issue with my phone - can an apple shop in a currys/PC world look at this or will I have to go to Glasgow ??

Bazthemod
17th March 2012, 09:11 PM
You need an official shop or authorised repair centre for stuff like that. They have the facilities to repair or replace on the spot. :)

Craig
17th March 2012, 09:25 PM
You need an official shop or authorised repair centre for stuff like that. They have the facilities to repair or replace on the spot. :)

Cheers Baz :thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
18th March 2012, 12:53 AM
It's all rumour at moment and has been for few years.

It's not something they ever tell us lol ... if they ever do Edinburgh it will be on a big scale such as Buchannan Street in Glasgow I would imagine. So they will rather wait on a special site becoming available than doing a standard format Apple Store like Aberdeen/braehead for example.

At the moment they are doing more 'Shop in Shops' like mine as they are quick to turnaround and proving successful.

Always thought Ocean Terminal was perfect for a huge Apple store. Probably not enough footfall though. Apple will have done their sums and looked at the options, I'm sure.

A.

MiniSnaps
18th March 2012, 07:27 AM

That's what the Sale of Goods Act is for......;)

Bazthemod
18th March 2012, 08:11 PM
That's what the Sale of Goods Act is for......;)

Thats a new one...

Glorious
19th March 2012, 01:50 PM
Thanks. Will keep my eye open to see if further drop happens to shift last few.

By the way, do you know when an apple store is opening in Edinburgh. Thought it was coming to princes st in the old burger king and see Cancom is closing.

Strong rumour that that site will have an Apple Store with a hotel above. Was surprised to see Cancom shut when I passed last night - I was in there 2 weeks ago loking at iMacs and there were no clues at that point.

MiniSnaps
21st March 2012, 08:08 PM
Thats a new one...

:confused:

SOGA - goods have to last a reasonable length of time, if something like an iPad throws up it's feet a month or two out of warranty (the SOGA allows for up to 5 years from purchase) then you'd be entitled to a repair or replacement, regardless of what Apple think....

Bazthemod
21st March 2012, 11:34 PM
It was sarcasm, AppleCare speeds up your repair time, covers your battery life, gives you global coverage and also gives you unlimited free telephone support.

All of which the sale of goods act does not cover. e.g time for repair under normal one year warranty is 'reasonable length of time' and not defined.

Quite aware depending on if you live north or south of the border you have 5/6 years to claim under the SOGA. You also have to prove it was this way at time of purchase by getting independent engineers to inspect your device.

Once people understand that they see the value of AppleCare.

MiniSnaps
22nd March 2012, 01:41 AM
It was sarcasm, AppleCare speeds up your repair time, covers your battery life, gives you global coverage and also gives you unlimited free telephone support.

All of which the sale of goods act does not cover. e.g time for repair under normal one year warranty is 'reasonable length of time' and not defined.

Quite aware depending on if you live north or south of the border you have 5/6 years to claim under the SOGA. You also have to prove it was this way at time of purchase by getting independent engineers to inspect your device.

Once people understand that they see the value of AppleCare.

That's an interesting insight into the Apple mindset ;) Do you realise how ridiculous it sounds to a non-Apple employee when you say purchasing a warranty for a three figure sum gives you "free telephone support"?

Can you imagine phoning up your MINI dealer with a problem and being told they're charging you for the phone call? :rolleyes:

Gismo
22nd March 2012, 05:20 AM
Can you imagine phoning up your MINI dealer with a problem and being told they're charging you for the phone call? :rolleyes:I think you missed the point, the free telephone support is actually allowing the end user to contact Apple directly to assist with any problem that may arise

The Dogfather
22nd March 2012, 08:01 AM

Sorry Baz but this is incorrect. It all comes down to how long a customer can expect an item to last for, you wouldn’t expect a set of rubber gloves to last much longer than a couple of weeks, but you wouldn’t expect to have to replace a TV every 12 months either.

There have been cases were shops have had to repair a TV 3 − 4 years after purchase and well outside of the original warranty.

I’d argue that given its purchase cost it would not be unreasonable for a customer to expect an iPad to last for 3 years. The other thing to note is that it won’t be down to Apple to replace/repair it, it would be the place where you purchased it from. This is a fact that most electrical retailers choose to forget and point to the warranty, it also features as part of the extended warranty sell (rip off) as well.

A customer may have to go to the small claims court to get a resolution but they will win, usually though a simple letter to the exec office resolves it though.

Bazthemod
22nd March 2012, 10:54 AM
Yes I understand it's reasonable time. The SOGA its very good at not defining actual set times so retailers set guideline timeframes. I worked on customer service for a good 3 years so I know the SOGA as it got thrown in our face daily by people who think it gives them the right to a new TV on the spot after 4 years. The retailer has the right to repair if it can't within reasonable time or economical cost it will replace.

The contract being with the retailer is correct but all the retailer has to provide within that 5/6 years is contact with the manufacturer or provide a source of spare parts. The retailer must also ensure the repair is done within reasonable time and economically. Think about it.... the small independent electrical store does not have a massive repair lab like Dixons so they are a go between to the manufacturer. By all means this may not be the be all and end all but thats what Dixons trained us to understand and built its policy around.

In the first 6 months if a fault develops it is seen as being there since manufacture. After 6 months the customer has to get an engineer report to say it has been that way since manufacture.

As for AppleCare - the thing to remember is that it's optional? Hence why targets are not 100% as some people just don't get it or want it.

Standard Warranty

Repair times - reasonable length of time (Not defined but 28 days usually accepted by retailers)
Telephone Support - £35 per call to Apple after 90 days
Battery Cover - Not covered after 6 months as classed as consumable item
Global Coverage - get an estimate for repair and await manufacturer or retailer to give the go-ahead

Happy with that? great! no hard push for AppleCare - not our style.

AppleCare

Repair times - 48 hours swap on the spot no repair
Telephone support - Free unlimited access to apple experts
Battery Coverage - Less than 50% of originally advertised lifetime - replaced.
Global coverage - send a courier to your hotel with replacement ipad or walk into an apple store and get swapped on the spot

It's also not a 3 figure sum - Its £69. The main reason my customers buy it is for the technical telephone support as it offers them great saving over £35 per call. Not everyone is an Apple Expert and i'm often asked by customers if they can take me home (slightly creepy) so the answer is they can have someone like me on the end of a phone when they need them.

What I would say is that some manufacturers are better than others - i've dealt with all the electrical ones! Apple are very good under their standard warranty. Recently we replaced 8 year old ipods with brand new models. Not something we had to do but we did as customer satisfaction pays dividends. AppleCare has also won a which best buy award - unheard of for extended warranty plans! As for the good old Dixons warranty with accidental cover built in - then I agree some of that is rip off material but sadly this is where retailers in that industry need to earn profit as the products are very low margin.

MINI don't charge for calling customer service, Apple do - thats the point.

Right i'm off to work to sell some more AppleCare haha

The Dogfather
22nd March 2012, 02:10 PM
Yes I understand it's reasonable time. The SOGA its very good at not defining actual set times so retailers set guideline timeframes. I worked on customer service for a good 3 years so I know the SOGA as it got thrown in our face daily by people who think it gives them the right to a new TV on the spot after 4 years. The retailer has the right to repair if it can't within reasonable time or economical cost it will replace.

The contract being with the retailer is correct but all the retailer has to provide within that 5/6 years is contact with the manufacturer or provide a source of spare parts. The retailer must also ensure the repair is done within reasonable time and economically. Think about it.... the small independent electrical store does not have a massive repair lab like Dixons so they are a go between to the manufacturer. By all means this may not be the be all and end all but thats what Dixons trained us to understand and built its policy around.

In the first 6 months if a fault develops it is seen as being there since manufacture. After 6 months the customer has to get an engineer report to say it has been that way since manufacture.

Not arguing about Applecare, there’s pluses and minuses but for the non techie customer its probably a useful thing to have.

What I’m saying your understanding of the SoGA is incorrect, I know this because of the job I do and by the fact that my old man was until recently a Trading Standards Enforcement Officer and I discussed this point in detail quite a lot.

The size of the business is irrelevant, it doesn’t come into it. If you sell goods you are directly liable under the SOGA, the relationship between the shop and the manufacturer again doesn’t come into it. If I bought a Sony TV from John Lewis and Sony went bust, John Lewis would still be liable as the contract of sale was with them not the manufacturer.

There’s good link here (http://www.oft.gov.uk/business-advice/treating-customers-fairly/sogahome/sogaexplained/), I think you need to read section 4.

MiniSnaps
22nd March 2012, 04:58 PM
I think you missed the point, the free telephone support is actually allowing the end user to contact Apple directly to assist with any problem that may arise

I'm not missing the point at all, the "free" support isn't free at all, it is an optional extra and one that costs 20% of the purchase price of the item. I've had to phone Applecare before (fortunately within the 90 days) and all they did was tell me to take the item into one of their stores, are you really telling me that that "service" is worth £35 a call?

I can't think of any other manufacturers, whether in the electronics, automotive or any other field would have the temerity to charge a customer £35 to speak to their technical support whilst the item is (according to Bazthemod) still under warranty.

The Dogfather
22nd March 2012, 08:16 PM
If you bought the iPad (PAYG or Contract) from a mobile phone company you’d get free support for most things relating to the device.

Bazthemod
22nd March 2012, 10:22 PM
Ok so the manufacturers are working on behalf of dixons retail to repair! That's the only difference of opinion I can see. Dixons retail have the largest repair lab in the uk and most manufacturers have accredited them to do their repairs In house. The companies that don't such as Sony and Asus will take over the repair process. We hand over the product to them and they repair on behalf of us. So we fulfil our responsibilities by contacting the manufacturers and arranging the repair. If the company has gone bust then we will repair in house or replace. No arguments there.

Yes you get tech support from mobile operators but remember your paying for this as they often work out at double the cost of the device if not more by the end! Swings and roundabouts.

As for apple charging for calls.... If the items under warranty and you have a fault there is no charge. If you are calling to ask how to set up iCloud, use iPhoto or having problems syncing your pictures from iTunes then you will be charged out with AppleCare as this is advice and tuition.

stoney
22nd March 2012, 10:27 PM
As for apple charging for calls.... If the items under warranty and you have a fault there is no charge. If you are calling to ask how to set up iCloud, use iPhoto or having problems syncing your pictures from iTunes then you will be charged out with AppleCare as this is advice and tuition.

Yep tryed to charge me when I phoned up about my 3GS out of warranty told them to stick it :lol:

The Dogfather
22nd March 2012, 10:33 PM
Actually as long as you buy the iPad from a mobile company (same price) and have a their SIM in it, even PAYG they’ll give you support or at least most will. You can get a SIM and a top up for £10. :hand:

The Dogfather
22nd March 2012, 10:38 PM
Ok so the manufacturers are working on behalf of dixons retail to repair! That's the only difference of opinion I can see.

No you said Dixons weren’t liable, they are as are any retailer selling any goods whatsoever.

You need to be careful though when giving out information to customers. Its actually an offence to mislead someone about their legal rights and this could lead to a criminal prosecution under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008.

Big Gordy
22nd March 2012, 10:49 PM
Jings.......I bet Fiona wished she'd never asked now...!!!

Bazthemod
23rd March 2012, 12:10 AM
No you said Dixons weren’t liable, they are as are any retailer selling any goods whatsoever.

You need to be careful though when giving out information to customers. Its actually an offence to mislead someone about their legal rights and this could lead to a criminal prosecution under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008.

Where did I say this... you know.. just incase the scary men come and lock me up lol

As far as I was trained and made aware all we have to do is book the customers repair or give the customer the details to do it if they so wish.