PDA

View Full Version : Should I get a Mini D ?

R7 ETH
5th August 2004, 10:09 PM
We do a lot of miles with Marie travelling down to the borders every day and was wondering if a D would be more economical.

I like the Cooper we have and it returns on average about 41mpg
But 50 odd mpg as quoted by Mini as the combined fuel consumption would be great.

Anyone got a D any thoughts ?

Anyone test drove one is it too slow ?

Burple
5th August 2004, 10:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by R7 ETH

We do a lot of miles with Marie travelling down to the borders every day and was wondering if a D would be more economical.
I like the Cooper we have and it returns on average about 41mpg
But 50 odd mpg as quoted by Mini as the combined fuel consumption would be great.
Anyone got a D any thoughts ?

Shoppie?? where are youuuuuuu??

I drove one for a day while mine was in getting serviced. They're actually slightly quicker than Coopers round town! faster away from the lights believe it or not!.... well up to about 40-50 anyway...
But when the roads open up... bye bye!! :D
They still (Allgegedly! ;):eek:) cruise quite happily at 115mph tho... ;)
Thought it was ok.. nothing special... but still with the Mini Handling :)

Then you could always get it chipped, induction kit, exhaust... ;);):D

Heather
5th August 2004, 11:04 PM
Ive been thinking about this too as i do a large number of miles due to work. Like LnL said its quite nippy around town and i opened it up on the motorway and got into 3 figures quite easily. Only problem is the waiting list. Ive been quoted between 6 and 9 months depending where i asked:eek:

Duncan Stewart
5th August 2004, 11:14 PM
I followed GoldMini on the open road during the West coast run and he sure wasn't slow.

R7 ETH
5th August 2004, 11:29 PM
quote: Ive been quoted between 6 and 9 months depending where i asked:eek:

:eek:
The reactions sound good though !!
I will se if i can test drive one if the dealers have any.
I was actually thinking about getting it chipped also I think it still produces great mpg even after the chip.

The Dogfather
6th August 2004, 12:31 AM
Gareth, work out home much extra fuel you could buy with the extra you'll pay for the Mini D over a standard one!

ny152
6th August 2004, 12:39 AM
41mpg from a Cooper sounds good. Typically I get just under 50mpg in the diesel for everyday use. Take it on a MINI run though and this tends to go up to 55+ quite easily. £30 of the dirty black stuff gets me 500 miles.

Sittng the rev's about 2500 seems to work best. With the six speed gearbox (same as an S) this equates to about 80 mph in sixth. Handling is up there with the rest of the MINI range and its had no problem keeping up on any runs so far. Its BHP might be down on the One and Cooper, but its torque that counts :).

Best thing to do is arrange a lengthy test drive and see what you think for yourself.

lightbody
6th August 2004, 12:57 AM
well with fuel prices going the way they're going and the Cooper being relatively uneconomical for a small car, I think its definitely worth seriously considering. I've still gone for petrol for my new one though, mainly because i'm not expecting to do a high mileage in it at all.

The Dogfather
6th August 2004, 01:18 AM
Give or take a few quid a D costs £1k more than a petrol one. So the car would only start to pay you back after 40k miles.

I think.:question:

Heather
6th August 2004, 02:26 AM
There been a lot of talk on mini2 about chipping etc. Its hard to see how you would get that much more out of 1.4 engine. Let not forget thats its not always about speed. AMD and a couple of other companies are working on stuff so its a wait and see. Oh and the the cooper and MOD i speced were the same price.

Big Col
6th August 2004, 04:13 PM
How many miles do the rest of you pertol lot get out of £30. I get about 300 I think. (I think)

The Dogfather
6th August 2004, 04:27 PM
Yes between 300 and 320, depending on the type of driving.

Gismo
6th August 2004, 04:43 PM
I get approx 220 miles with normal driving, about 175 on the Cullen Run :evil:

Julz
6th August 2004, 04:47 PM
I try not to work it out, but generally about 250ish (on a good day!!):clown:

R7 ETH
6th August 2004, 04:48 PM
I get about 350 miles but Marie can get about 400 odd !!! I dont know how she soes it !!!:eek:
This all comes about because Marie works for the council and gets petrol money. It is not based on the size/type of the engine, so if we had a more economical engine then we would be benefit.
Bad dog fair comment:cool: 40K we would probably get rid of the car by then so you are right it probably would pay for itself.

<scratches head>

I know the next time the car is in Dunedin i will try to arrange a MOD for a courtesy car. Just have to wait now for something to fall off, wont be too long mind you:D

Monsta Mo Mini
6th August 2004, 05:00 PM
400! Blimey! She must drive like a girl!....oh....errr

Now that I'm using the car every day on the open road, I'm getting 320-340 per tank. Used to be as little as 200 when driving about town all week!

It's not great!

We get over 500 out of the Punto and it's a 40 litre tank aswell8)

Burple
6th August 2004, 06:48 PM
I managed just about 350 earlier this year on a jaunt Darn Sarf..
Just pulling into the services near Donnington (I think) and the red light came on! that was sitting at about 70mph most of the way down (ahem - and a quick squirt or 2 a little faster to get rid of a pesky Ford Feck-@rse ;);):D)

R7 ETH
6th August 2004, 07:03 PM
quote:Originally posted by Monsta Mo Mini

400! Blimey! She must drive like a girl!....oh....errr

She makes driving Miss daisy look like a speed demon.

Duncan Stewart
6th August 2004, 07:48 PM
Usually get 300 miles out of about 40 litres (It's a 50 litre tank) but only 200 on the Cullen run :eek:

shoppie
20th August 2004, 05:57 AM
quote:Originally posted by R7 ETH

I am well pleased with my ONE. I find it quick off the mark at the lights and an absolute dream on the corners. Had a few encounters with the boy racers in town who usually end up surprised!!
The only ever MINIS I have driven are the Cooper and the Cabrio,(the latter was very slow!). To be honest I didn't notice that much difference between the ONE and the Cooper. Then there is the benefits in the insurance price...

CooperTrooper
20th August 2004, 04:20 PM
i get 'bout 325 out a tank @ 26mpg :eek:

would like better, like a cooper with a 2.0td or similar :evil: