PDA

View Full Version : Mpg

Neil - TXJ
24th January 2012, 11:11 PM
Conscious economy keeps popping in on different threads so thought I would start a new thread.

I have set myself a challenge of getting 500 miles out of the tank of my R56 MCS. I would probably have done it on my last tank but was to far away from the next station to risk it. Anybody got 500 miles from a tank?

I have now done about 20k miles and using the trip tend to average about 42mpg. Have been trying to drive economically and am getting about 45 mpg, fingers crossed could get over 500 miles this tank. Trip is currently saying should get about 540 miles.

At my last fill up checked consumption and actual was 43mpg against the trip showing 44mpg so not a million miles away.

I am very pleased with the economy and am getting better than I had expected.

Neil.

MINIme:)
24th January 2012, 11:21 PM
why am I doing so badly and only getting 36-37mpg? I'm not actually sure what I should expect from this one.

Ooh and how do you reset the mpg reader? Craig said it might get better as the car bedded in but a reset of the reading would help me to tell.

Am I just a rubbish driver? :sad:

KenL
24th January 2012, 11:25 PM
Neil,
I averaged between 37 and 39 mpg in my S. That was for mostly bypass driving, some slow but not really stop/start.

On runs to Glasgow I could get more than 40mpg. 500 miles sounds ambitious from one tank though unless on a long run at less than 65mph.

Stewart
24th January 2012, 11:31 PM
Jo my Cooper is only on 36 MPG doing short trips around town just now so your just the norm if you ask me. On a run up North on nice quiet roads I've had it sit on 56mpg on the HT doing near 800 miles at a quickened pace round the west coast. Once drove to Oban and the computer was on 60.1 after 98 miles but it was a summers day and the roads were deserted most of the way and I was happy just to sit back at just under 60mph.( Yes Yes driven like a num) :smilewinkgrin:

Your car is not even close to warming up before you park on a four mile trip, in fact I'm sure taking it on a run when the weather gets better would do the poor wee thing a world of good to clear the tube's sort of thing.

To reset it just go into the computer and its as easy as just pressing the button on the menu to clear it.

re-set via the "menu" button on the radio panel. Select "Comp" > "Av Con" (or whatever) and tap the reset button.

24th January 2012, 11:34 PM
stewart the trip is only 2miles :wtf: I know I KNOW!!! but it regularly does longer trips.
Do you reset the mpg reader for a trip to get a new average? or are you just saying what you saw it at

Stewart
24th January 2012, 11:43 PM
Yeah the computer resets and starts afresh. I could drive about for a week up north and get a very real figure of say 56mpg, but if I just left the computer it would just crawl down with City driving short trips.

Around town I always think 36-42 mpg.

On a run depending on your driving style it should be more like 50-56mpg.

KenL
24th January 2012, 11:44 PM
If you reset the mpg you will begin a new average calculation.

To chart your progress it might be a good idea to do so each time you fill up.

24th January 2012, 11:47 PM
how do you reset it?

Neil - TXJ
25th January 2012, 12:45 AM
I have recently downloaded the App "Road Trip" where you can record mileage etc and it keeps track of your actual mpg for each fill up and average. It is free but can also get a paid version which I would guess would give you more info.

GCA3N
25th January 2012, 06:59 AM
how do you reset it?

:idea: its in the manual Joanna.:D

^^^like this smillie

KenL
25th January 2012, 07:14 AM
On the controls on the speed press mode, comp, mpg, reset.

25th January 2012, 10:05 AM
ah thank you Ken, will try it. :yes nod:

:idea: its in the manual Joanna.:D

^^^like this smillie

YOU SAID that real men don't use manuals :p

But I do, I'll have a look... :book:

N16SHP
25th January 2012, 10:10 AM
I did this with my 'town driving' in my S, but cannot average more than about 30-32 MPG. I only do short trips to and from uni and to a town about 8 miles outside Aberdeen, so I'm not expecting miracles. I do normally get about 300 miles out of a full tank if I'm good.

Spacecadetrik
25th January 2012, 10:12 AM
I use www.fuelly.com to keep track of my MPG. Really good site and free to use. Can keep track of multiple cars too.

I am averaging about 38-40mpg at the moment.

25th January 2012, 10:14 AM
is the in car one unreliable? Just interested why some of you use an external one or is it because you get additional features?

Neil - TXJ
25th January 2012, 11:04 AM
Some trip computers can be considerably different to actual. I was pleasantly surprised that when I checked there was only 1mpg difference.

Ps - still on track for over 500 miles from my current tank. Distance covered so far and range totalling c£540 miles.

Stewart
25th January 2012, 02:32 PM
Yeah I have Road trip lite. but only really use it when I'm touring about to keep track of how much I've put in. I does come in handy.

The difference between (Actual brim) Road trip App and the Cars Computer was only 2MPG out so not too bad over 500 miles last trip up north. Road trip said 50 and the Car said 52.

Stewart
25th January 2012, 04:32 PM
Been looking at a Mini Cooper SD, you can get them for the same money nearly new on cherished as the Petrol.. It’s a hard one to call as I’m coming from a Petrol Cooper that does 6-8 K a year. My low mileage suggests that the diesel would be out the running but then that purely down to the price per Gallon.

I fancy a little more power and it would have better economy over my currant Cooper, cheaper road tax and insurance much the same.

Taking a very loose Parkers guide to cost of ownership I get this for me, as you can see the SD works out cheaper if I did circa 10K..Although I do in reality around 8K but could not set it for that. So did (10K) & (5K)

Nearly New Cooper S Petrol based on 10K mileage a year over four year ownership.
CAR Cost £19K
Road Tax £345.00
Fuel £5,035.00 (10K) £ 2,518.00 (5K)
Insurance £1532 (based on Ins being the same over the period of £383 a Year)
Depreciation £11,000 (car valued at 19K)
Service Costs £0

Nearly New Cooper SD based on 10K mileage a year over four year ownership.
Car Cost 19K
Road Tax £90.00
Fuel £3,861.00 (10K) £1,931.00 (5K)
Insurance £1568 (based on Ins being the same over the period of £393 a Year)
Depreciation £10,000 (car valued at 19K)
Service Costs £0

The SD should cost less over the four years to run in Road Tax, Fuel and depreciate less and around the same to insure for me. I left out service cost as they are covered under TLC. Obviously the more mileage you do the better in the case of the SD.

But there is not a lot in it….But as others have said future prices of Petrol and Diesel and the gap are hard to gauge. Both were done with Cars registered on cherished on 61 plates and registered Dec 2011. I know a few have driven the SD and S and also official reviews say mostly the same thing. The SD is a mixture, it does have a nice bit of grunt and returns good MPG but at the same time is not as quick as an S. It makes you think go for the S that is that wee bit better sounding, a purer drivers car with 40 BHP more or go with a slight compromise and get a bit of both worlds with the 140 BHP SD.

markjbb
25th January 2012, 04:59 PM
i get about 37mpg - 39mpg i think i did get 41mpg once
but i normally get 400miles with a full tank sometimes a little more. i'll need to see how long the car can go when it's in the red. the lowest i've let it got before filling up was 5miles left well that's what the comp says.

stoney
25th January 2012, 06:30 PM
all you lot with your R56 makes me sick reading your mileage

you are lucky if i get 28mpg if i am relay lucky and driving like Joanna i will get 32mpg at best but that going on a long drive at below 65mph and that don't happen often :lol:

but on the up side mine sounds so much better than the R56 :smug::motoring::lol:

Mon the fish
25th January 2012, 06:31 PM
Supercharger whine + R53 exhaust note > mpg

stoney
25th January 2012, 06:33 PM
Supercharger whine + R53 exhaust note > mpg

this is soooooo true :lol:

Neil - TXJ
25th January 2012, 09:35 PM
Stewart - when I swap the MCS I think I will struggle not to get the SD. I do 20k miles a year and would miss the S but I know for 90% of the time the SD will be more than adequate. I will however need to do the maths but I get the car on my company scheme and last time I looked the cost, including tax, was virtually identical for the S and SD so difference would just be the fuel costs.

45mpg for the S is still impressive, excluding diesels the ratio of MPG to BHP must be one the best you can get.

Glorious
26th January 2012, 10:38 AM
I've reset my mpg on the Cooper Diesel this morning so am looking forward to seeing what I get out of this tank.

ianking
26th January 2012, 01:48 PM
Im getting about 38 mpg average with the 2011 S when its my week to do the commute to Perth. However thats with 3 big lads in the car.

26th January 2012, 02:36 PM
driving like Joanna i will get 32mpg at best but that going on a long drive at below 65mph and that don't happen often

watch it. :p

twisty or motorway? or do you drive the same on both. There's about 35mph difference in my driving between the two!

MINI William
26th January 2012, 03:07 PM
all you lot with your R56 makes me sick reading your mileage

you are lucky if i get 28mpg if i am relay lucky and driving like Joanna i will get 32mpg at best but that going on a long drive at below 65mph and that don't happen often :lol:

but on the up side mine sounds so much better than the R56 :smug::motoring::lol:

Your turning into a right little R56 hater arent you Mr Stone :smilewinkgrin: you will have to sit at the same table as BigGordy

zimbo
26th January 2012, 03:18 PM
Your turning into a right little R56 hater arent you Mr Stone :smilewinkgrin: you will have to sit at the same table as BigGordy

Well I better hope Mr Stone doesn't see this pic then... :smilewinkgrin: Taken today :thumbs up:

gauldrymini
26th January 2012, 03:43 PM
I will monitor the CooperD All4 Countryman to give a view point from this MINI, reckon it is going to be about 45mpg but we will see...:unsure:

...:book: states 57mpg!

Martin c
26th January 2012, 06:15 PM
I'm averaging 36 mpg with mt R56 JCW, computing to and from work this drops down to 28-29mpg, it's 3.5 miles each way, through the town. Through in Glasgow today sitting at 70 ish on the Motorway I get 41 mpg or so well happy with that, similar fuel economy to my old 330d BMW.

Stewart
26th January 2012, 10:02 PM
Ali that sounds a great return from a Works. To be fair I would not mind a MPG V Performance like that.

If your having a bit of a drive and pushing on and having a play as you would expect your going to kill the MPG, but if on the flip side you could get great figures when your driving style has changed to a more relaxed pace then it’s a better car for it.

stoney
27th January 2012, 12:03 AM
Driving mine like normal 28.5 mpg on the thing the night :(

Coreygraham180
27th January 2012, 12:19 AM
well mine has done 99.9999999999999mpg as it hasn't moved in a week(stupid broken finger )

i will update this when i can drive it but my trip computer is on about 38 mpg but i dunno how it was driven..lol

Mon the fish
27th January 2012, 09:06 AM
When I was using my R53 each day, I was getting 32-33 mpg. Now its a weekend toy, its barely above 20mpg.

But if you love cars, and driving, treat it as a hobby - how much do some people spend playing golf, for example. Treat running a decent car like that, and it won't bother you as much.

ELFMAN
27th January 2012, 10:41 AM
When I was using my R53 each day, I was getting 32-33 mpg. Now its a weekend toy, its barely above 20mpg. But if you love cars, and driving, treat it as a hobby - how much do some people spend playing golf, for example. Treat running a decent car like that, and it won't bother you as much.

I'll drink to that! :thumbs up: :beer: But NOT when I'm driving!! :motoring:

Neil - TXJ
27th January 2012, 09:14 PM
Thing I love about my MCS is that it is a great toy but also a 'reasonably' sensible commuting car.

28th January 2012, 05:28 PM
well i reset it and have been watching a wee bit as I drive to and from work. Yes basically it's all buggered by doing roughly 2 miles which involves 8 sets of traffic lights :frown: especially when I accelerate quite enthusiastically away from a couple of them... so now after a couple of days of that I think it's about 27mpg. :sad:

sitting at said traffic lights it's visibly counting down in its average mpg counter. Even more frustrating is that half of the traffic lights are there at all as half the time there's nothing coming from the other directions, so badly designed.

KenL
28th January 2012, 06:08 PM
That mpg is not really surprising as your car is not warmed up and the automatic choke will be putting more fuel into the engine.

I think you should walk to work :lol:

28th January 2012, 06:18 PM
I would if it didn't bl08dy rain so much here! I really REALLY hate the weather in Glasgow and along the river it is channelled along making it 10times worse

KenL
28th January 2012, 07:15 PM
I know what you mean about the west coast weather, I grew up just outside Glasgow. I live in East Lothian, a fantastic part of the country and the weather is miles better here.

28th January 2012, 07:25 PM
and it's exactly where I want to live myself Ken :yes nod: I'll get there one day

Neil - TXJ
2nd February 2012, 02:27 PM
So filled up this morning having done 508 miles and a range of 17 left.

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa382/Trigger0404/b122fb05.jpg

Trip was showing an average of 46mpg which agrees with my calculations. Considering this involved no dual carriageway or motorway driving and a daily drive into the centre of Edinburgh I think it is a good result.

Neil.

MINI William
2nd February 2012, 03:28 PM
Well done Neil thats quite impressive :yes nod:

GCA3N
2nd February 2012, 03:35 PM
Sado :hand::thumbs up:

GCA3N
2nd February 2012, 03:36 PM
Now see how little you can get this week.

gauldrymini
2nd February 2012, 03:54 PM
Now see how little you can get this week.

...that's it give the fella some encouragement Greig:rolleyes:

gauldrymini
2nd February 2012, 03:58 PM
Great achievement Neil :yes nod:. Think you are gonna beat my CM CooperD All4 hands down...

I am not far off needing to fill up (aka robbed at the pumps) and will do the manual calculations required...

Andrew

N16SHP
2nd February 2012, 06:46 PM
Wow, that is amazing Neil! I don't think my S would get close to that. I could try driving like a Granny with a full tank, but the temptation when I hit the dueler to overtake a doddler would be my downfall :thud:

Stewart
2nd February 2012, 07:25 PM
I think I’m getting 34 MPG and lower but its sitting defrosting before it moves and then stupidly short trips. It actually probably needs a wee blast.

Impressive MPG but I think they must have given you a special engine…..

Neil - TXJ
2nd February 2012, 08:21 PM
Thanks guys but must admit it has been horrendously dull at times but it does show what can be done if you have a decent run. Think biggest difference is doing a steady 50 rather than 60+ on the A roads.

Craig
2nd February 2012, 08:30 PM
I wish I could get to 50mph on an A road in my punto :laugh:

KenL
2nd February 2012, 08:41 PM
Fantastic, especially given you are heading into Edinburgh. Are you driving at 4am?

Neil - TXJ
2nd February 2012, 09:27 PM
Fantastic, especially given you are heading into Edinburgh. Are you driving at 4am?

Tend to hit town about 7:30 and come in from the south so roads are not to bad.

gauldrymini
2nd February 2012, 10:48 PM
...back from filling up and final calculation on mpg made... The OBC had it down as 45.1 mpg and the manual calculation at 45.6mpg. Quite accurate by the OBC. Still a bit away from book mpg! Although cannot see me getting this.

Neil - TXJ
2nd February 2012, 11:17 PM
...back from filling up and final calculation on mpg made... The OBC had it down as 45.1 mpg and the manual calculation at 45.6mpg. Quite accurate by the OBC. Still a bit away from book mpg! Although cannot see me getting this.

You probably had more fun than I did though!

gauldrymini
2nd February 2012, 11:22 PM

Dunno, kept it steady and had to keep my sensible hat on. No doubt the extra weight of the CM did not help and the fact it has the aerodynamics of a curved brick. LOL

GCA3N
2nd February 2012, 11:25 PM

Neil I am having root canal surgey and that would be more fun....lol

I get too bored driving like that. Just about manage my 100 mile journey to and from Aberdeen, at least till I get to the back roads.

2nd February 2012, 11:53 PM
I get too bored driving like that. Just about manage my 100 mile journey to and from Aberdeen, at least till I get to the back roads.

Cool. I'll drive your car to Oxford then :smilewinkgrin:

GCA3N
3rd February 2012, 07:29 AM
Cool. I'll drive your car to Oxford then :smilewinkgrin:

You know you can but as long a You know the rules you crash it you pay for it. :smilewinkgrin:

Crombers
4th February 2012, 03:30 AM
36 mpg / 8yr old Cooper, 68000 on the clock

& i don't hang about apparently :bigwave:

:angel:

LadyR
4th February 2012, 09:06 AM
i get about 37mpg - 39mpg i think i did get 41mpg once
but i normally get 400miles with a full tank sometimes a little more. i'll need to see how long the car can go when it's in the red. the lowest i've let it got before filling up was 5miles left well that's what the comp says.

I can help you on that one.....unfortunately. Once you hit 0miles left, you can run on vapour/nervous energy for nearly 5 miles (and it was the longest 5 miles of my life) the car still never conked out so I'm sure you'd get further, I bottled it though!
I get 44mpg, that was on a 10mile commute and other running about- got 46k on my 07 cooper, thought that was fairly reasonable? Now that I'm working away though and a part time lady of leisure I find I'm driving a lot more just for the fun of it :D

Stewart
4th February 2012, 03:00 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/225767_209067605800689_100000923530173_585681_7102 086_n.jpg

I did this Last year on the Highland Tour! To be honest the last twenty miles were uncomfortable but I wanted to go back to the Shell garage I’ve been to before in Inverness.:argh::argh::argh: well it seemed a good idea before I took the scenic route:blush:

Got to remember this is me going from a full tank in Ullapool up round Durness, Tongue, staying in Thurso. Next day taking the wrong road as I thought the Sat Nav had thrown a wobbly to end up in Wick instead of staying on the A9, before rejoining the A9 to Inverness.

LadyR as you know the Range thing jumps about a bit, one minute your on 20 miles left then 1 mile later it comes up with 12.....at which point my Sat-Nav said 10 to the garage. Its not a nice game to play...;)

Mon the fish
4th February 2012, 05:02 PM
The R53 will take nearly 52 litres, think I put in 51.8 or something; it's got a 50 litre tank. It was a fun last few miles before the petrol station....

silver spirit
4th February 2012, 09:50 PM
Cooper clubman Petrol Stop/start local 36/38mpg. -- short runs 40/44 mpg ---run from Cumbernauld to Perth or Oban 51.7

silver spirit
4th February 2012, 10:09 PM
Sorry hand slipped before I had completed my information Cumbernauld to Perth last run at 10 30 pm @ 60mph = 51.7 at 70mph dropped to 47.5 ? I find it's all down to right foot and weather ::

22nd February 2012, 07:35 PM
Saddened by my daily 'commute' of 2miles and 8 sets of traffic lights notching up an impressive 27mpg I reset the counter thingy for my blast up to Aberdeen today. 43mpg. I think that's ok considering the speed I was going :motoring: (not at all pootling)
and nasty weather for the first hour

Stewart
23rd February 2012, 12:16 AM
Sorry about just the 30 mins prediction of cack weather ;) should have played it safe and said an hour......

Considering the wind and the faster road driven that’s probably right. At the very least it will have done no harm giving it a wee blast to clear out the tubes as it were.

23rd February 2012, 12:24 AM
Foot was down too :angel: so think not too bad. Poor wee thing was due a run. Let's see if this post from my iPod works...:mobile:

Edit: ooh it did work.
Weather up here lovely stew. 15 deg, sunroof open and everything.

Stewart
23rd February 2012, 12:50 AM
Weather up here lovely stew. 15 deg, sunroof open and everything.

:sheep:That almost constitutes as a Scottish summer :smilewinkgrin:

23rd February 2012, 01:15 AM
I know! same tomorrow I hear - hopefully it will extend long enough to cheer me up

Stewart
23rd February 2012, 05:01 PM
Its just the time of year, it’s pish outside blowing either a gale, or rain, or both. Sadly I even miss cutting the grass and mucking about in the Garden (I’ll get my flat cap) if anything you haven’t just seen a 21 year old lass nick your car like I have ;)

23rd February 2012, 05:17 PM
ah well your own car is better dude.
it's not warm here today but at least it isn't bl**dy raining.

Burple
20th April 2012, 10:18 AM
Been paying a lot of attention to my MPG this first week of trvelling to work from the new house. So it works out at exactly 14 miles door to Car park outside work :) the journey is about 2 miles of country road, 2 miles of town driving and 10 of motorway. behaving (mostly :thumbs up:) the JCW is showing 41.2 mpg! :thumbs up::thumbs up: quite impressed with that so far.. :D

Craig
20th April 2012, 11:11 AM
That's great mpg ;)

ianking
20th April 2012, 12:11 PM
Been trying to go a bit easier with my S and over the last 2 weeks but commute from Penicuik to Barnton (about 16 miles) where we all meet for car share I am showing 41.0 on the average.
2 weeks time its my shot to do the weekly drive to Perth with 4 of us in the car so Im going to see what I can get doing that carefully

zimbo
20th April 2012, 12:55 PM
...I filled up my clubbieD for the 1st time recently after not filling up to the max in absolutely zonks. Which cost me £48 by the way :thud: then zeroed my mileometer and mpg counter and hit the road doing a mini tour of scotland so to speak, going up to stonehaven, braemar, glenshee and pitlochry, next day Edinburgh, Leith then the tourist scenic route through fife back to Dundee and used the rest of the tank for cummuting and normal daily use until the last red light was on with about 30 miles left in tank and needed topped up and the mileage was on 408 miles and the MPGs were reading 58.7 or something. :whoohoo:

Thats good enough for me :bow:

JC Mike
22nd May 2012, 10:14 AM
I have been driving the SD Coupe for about 3 weeks, doing about 1000 miles per week, i am averaging 49mpg just now.

stoney
22nd May 2012, 09:36 PM
Well on the run I got 30mpg in my R53 :) well happy

ELFMAN
22nd May 2012, 10:34 PM
I reckon I still get mid 30's even driving hard, and on a more 'mixed' run, around the 41+ mark. Compared with my R53, and considering the performance available, that's pretty good going. I think the best I've seen on my R56 was about 46mpg, and I suppose I could better that quite easily, but that kinda defeats the purpose of spending all that dosh making it go faster!

Stoney did well to get overall 30mpg from the GP on Sunday :thumbs up: Best sounding car too! :smilewinkgrin:

Stewart
23rd May 2012, 12:36 AM
The Works has a 50lt Tank does it not? I think if you’re trying to get a good consumption then it’s well do-able. Ashamed today that even on single track roads taking the newish Military road over from Loch Lomond over to Loch Long and on beyond to Inveraray taking in the Lochgoilhead road off the Rest and be thankful I achieved when I got the car back up the drive 54MPG on the Computer…I'm doing something well wrong ;).:blush:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/536839_409214159119365_100000923530173_1185190_209 7155385_n.jpg

DarnShiv
23rd May 2012, 09:14 PM
I got 42mpg in the One on Sundays run.

DarnShiv
24th May 2012, 06:06 PM
Oh yes ;)

zimbo
24th May 2012, 06:27 PM
Just back from an 160 mile round trip and got 68.3 :D