PDA

View Full Version : does my car have dsc or dtc?

KenL
22nd January 2012, 07:35 PM
As title. What does my new Cooper have?

Button has a symbol on it. I can turn "dsc off" but can't get "traction" to appear on rev counter display. IS DTC an option or just on S?

Thanks
It's a Nov 2011 built Cooper with CHILLI pack.

Gismo
22nd January 2012, 08:29 PM
Hold the button for at least 10 seconds to turn it off fully

MINIme:)
22nd January 2012, 10:17 PM
hi ken, I believe we have DSC fitted as standard and DTC is only available as part of the sport pack (which I don't have).

Still got my brochure, it says that DSC gives you braking force applied to individual wheels - intervening if nec - as well as hill assist, aiding hill starts without roll back.

DTC is a sports pack extra which raises the threshold before intervention in the engine management and braking system + Elec diff lock control

bullet
22nd January 2012, 10:48 PM
well you learn something every day so the saying goes :thumbs up:

GCA3N
23rd January 2012, 06:54 AM
hi ken, I believe we have DSC fitted as standard and DTC is only available as part of the sport pack (which I don't have).

Still got my brochure, it says that DSC gives you braking force applied to individual wheels - intervening if nec - as well as hill assist, aiding hill starts without roll back.

DTC is a sports pack extra which raises the threshold before intervention in the engine management and braking system + Elec diff lock control

Impressive :clap:

KenL
23rd January 2012, 07:11 AM
Confused!

I thought dtc, was dynamic traction control. Designed to help with snow?

ianking
23rd January 2012, 01:48 PM
DTC doesnt help with snow. It should be turned OFF for snow so that you can pull away in 2nd and let it spin a wee bit if needed.

ELFMAN
23rd January 2012, 03:14 PM
My 2008 R56 S has (if I remember rightly...) DSC, DTC and a mechanical Limited Slip Diff. If I want to 'wheech' away from standstill, I'll push the button with a single short push to deactivate the Traction Control - which allows a rapid getaway without power-killing intervention (ie you can smoke the tyres if you're daft enough) and the wee 'warning' symbol will be illuminate. Fair enough. Does HOLDING the button do anything else? I obviously don't have the Factory JCW Electronic Diff gubbins. I know holding the button down in the Factory Works cars disables most if not all of the 'safety' software, but does holding down the button in the non-JCW S do anything more than just pressing it once?

Sorry if this is a thick question, as I should really know all about my car by now, but I've just never looked into it in any detail as it seems to go well with everything 'on' while out on the road whether I'm booting it like Stoney or pootling like Joanna. As I said, the only time I 'deselect' the Traction Control is when I want maximum acceleration off the line - unless I'm at the M6 Tollbooths, in which case I forget and bog down like a tw@t.

Mon the fish
23rd January 2012, 04:48 PM
My 2008 R56 S has (if I remember rightly...) DSC, DTC and a mechanical Limited Slip Diff. If I want to 'wheech' away from standstill, I'll push the button with a single short push to deactivate the Traction Control - which allows a rapid getaway without power-killing intervention (ie you can smoke the tyres if you're daft enough) and the wee 'warning' symbol will be illuminate. Fair enough. Does HOLDING the button do anything else? I obviously don't have the Factory JCW Electronic Diff gubbins. I know holding the button down in the Factory Works cars disables most if not all of the 'safety' software, but does holding down the button in the non-JCW S do anything more than just pressing it once?

Sorry if this is a thick question, as I should really know all about my car by now, but I've just never looked into it in any detail as it seems to go well with everything 'on' while out on the road whether I'm booting it like Stoney or pootling like Joanna. As I said, the only time I 'deselect' the Traction Control is when I want maximum acceleration off the line - unless I'm at the M6 Tollbooths, in which case I forget and bog down like a tw@t.

Was the mechanical diff a factory option on the R56, or do you have a Quaife or suchlike?

ELFMAN
23rd January 2012, 05:55 PM
Factory Option.

stoney
23rd January 2012, 06:58 PM
whether I'm booting it like Stoney

OI im not 1/2 as bad these days :yoda:

ianking
23rd January 2012, 08:57 PM
Elfman

Factory option LSD for the S was available up until late 2008 so you just made it. Im pretty sure all the R56s that have LSD are an electronic diff. All Factory JCWs get it as standard and all Ss with the optional sport pack.

To engage the diff push the traction button once then let it go. Then push it again and hold it down until the different symbol on the rev counter lights up.
I had good fun at knockhill with my red car with the diff engaged and it was also particularly useful last year in the deep snow.

Mon the fish
23rd January 2012, 11:07 PM
^^ that's what I was aware of, it wasn't an actual LSD, rather electronic trickery. But the first R56's got them then? I missed out on it for my R53 by a month, I ordered my car too early! Maybe get a Quaife at some point

ELFMAN
24th January 2012, 01:28 AM
Cheers guys. My car was an October 2008 build, and I bought it from 'stock' from Douglas Park MINI Hamilton in March 2009. The car was almost exactly as I would've specced it myself, and one of the things which swung it was that it had a factory-fitted LSD, which I'm certain is of the 'old-fashioned' mechanical persuasion. Being mechanical, it's 'on' at all times, as it would be a bit difficult to 'switch off' the cogs!

ELFMAN
24th January 2012, 01:32 AM
OI im not 1/2 as bad these days :yoda:

Yes, you're getting old and sensible Rob - don't worry, it's curable, I mean look at me... :motoring: :excited: