PDA

View Full Version : Tyre tyre tyre-confused :(

naufal.stab
20th January 2012, 03:52 PM
Hi all.

I would really appreciate if y'all can help me. My Mini used S Spoke Alloy wheel. I guess its R17 in size right?? Correct me if I am wrong. Currently it runs on run flat tyre(RFT). But only the front driver side tyre is worn out right now. I am in hesitate whether to buy a new cheap RFT to replace it or buy the same brand as the others which is Pirelli. Thats too expensive for me as a student. I assume it costs around £170 new. or maybe should I buy a used RFT instead with at least 6mm thread left. Or perhaps changing both front tyres to a normal tyre which would cost approx the same as a new RFT only? I cant afford to change all 4 wheels at once. But if I change to normal tyre, will it be ok since the rear tyres are still RFT? the cost of tyre fitting is another story. pffttt. really confused right now. please help me guys. thanks :)

Stewart
20th January 2012, 04:13 PM
You some times get members selling RF tyres on here as a good few change to Non-RF. I did the same with my Cooper. Also I’d go out and read the tyre wall so you know what the size actually is. Pity its not 16" as I have my two Rear Tyres RF here that had still have over the 4MM tread on them. Think the valid opinion is not to have RF and normal Tyres on the car at the same time, and at the very least have them paired right even if its only two.

Most of the lads are far more experienced in tyres than me so I’m sure they will give you great advice.

naufal.stab
20th January 2012, 04:26 PM
Thanks for your reply Stewart.

I am not really sure about the tyre size though. But I check online that S-Spoke alloy wheel is 17". I also assume that the tyre dimension is 205/45/17 (84v or 84w etc). still not sure. folks, if I want to change all tyres to normal tyres, is the job worth it? plus, will it cost be too high as compared to changing a new Pirelli RFT which is about £170 inc fitting. I assume if I wanna buy RFT, it should be the same brand all round right? yet, I am still not sure why only one tyre is worn out while others still have atleast 4mm remaining on them. is the allignment or the suspension. still not sure though.

stoney
20th January 2012, 04:34 PM
You don't want to mix run flats and non run flats !!

Your size will be 205/40/17 I think but you can go for 215/35/17 with no problems and have much more choice and get much lower prices all I would say is you don't want to go to cheap on rubber as its what keeps you on the road and safe so better off saving up a wee bit first :) and geting some thing that good IMO

naufal.stab
20th January 2012, 04:51 PM
Hi Stoney, thanks for your advice :)

Sorry to ask this lil stupid question. As long as my alloy wheel is 17", I can use any tyre dimension which have size 17" right? that means it doesnt matter 205/45 or 205/40 or 215/35 or etc. correct??

Do you suggest that I should change to all non RF tyres? Will it cost too much since now I only need to change a tyre only. and the other tyres still have 3-4mm threads left. I am afraid that I will fail the MOT later then they will push me to change a tyre at their garage then so that I pass. It's better do it early right? If I would go for normal tyres, what tyre dimension and brand is good for my car taking both economical and performance factors into account. In my mind, I just heard continental make good tyres. not sure tho.

cheers :)

Big Gordy
20th January 2012, 05:08 PM
Ehhhh.....naw.....!
The 205 relates to the width of the tyre. The 45,40,35 is the height of the tyre given as a % of the tyre width....so NO you can't just fit any profile of 17" tyre as this would affect the accuracy of your speedometer.
My feeling on the subject is mixing RF with non RF is ok as long as they are on the same axles ie RF's on the front, Non RF's on the back. I changed all 4 some time back to all non RF's and you do notice a difference as the unsprung mass of the wheel is about half with non RF's.(plus you get 4 non RF's for the price of 2 RF's...!!!)

It will fail an MOT if you have less than 1.6mm of tread. Police change at 3mm.
If your strapped for cash try and find a 2nd hand RF with 3-4mm tread then change to non RF's next time.

Gismo
20th January 2012, 05:14 PM
Go check and read the tyre wall of all your tyres, check to see if they are all the same make etc and that they are run flats or not.
Since you didn't buy from a MINI dealer you may have some differences.

stoney
20th January 2012, 05:31 PM
Ehhhh.....naw.....!
The 205 relates to the width of the tyre. The 45,40,35 is the height of the tyre given as a % of the tyre width....so NO you can't just fit any profile of 17" tyre as this would affect the accuracy of your speedometer.
My feeling on the subject is mixing RF with non RF is ok as long as they are on the same axles ie RF's on the front, Non RF's on the back. I changed all 4 some time back to all non RF's and you do notice a difference as the unsprung mass of the wheel is about half with non RF's.(plus you get 4 non RF's for the price of 2 RF's...!!!)

It will fail an MOT if you have less than 1.6mm of tread. Police change at 3mm.
If your strapped for cash try and find a 2nd hand RF with 3-4mm tread then change to non RF's next time.

what gGordy said but you can change them to 215/35/17 as i have done this on my old ones yes your speedo is slightly out but nothing major as long as you are in 5% of normal you are fine

i have 18" on mine that come with 205/40/18 as standard and changed them to 215/35/18 goodyear F1 and have no problems
i found to be a very good but its all down to personal choice !!

you can change the 2 fronts and leave the back but i would not do this IMO

taken from the pirelli web site

Pirelli does not recommend mixing run flat tyres and standard tyres on the same vehicle, even if paired in axle sets.
If you have a puncture, the run flat tyres are designed to permit you to reach a tyre dealer where you can have the tyre checked and replaced if necessary with another run flat tyre.
In exceptional and emergency circumstances a normal tyre with identical dimensions, load index and speed code can be fitted for a very limited period and distance.
It must be noted that standard tyres do not have the same run flat characteristics as the other tyres on your vehicle and must be removed at the earliest opportunity.

naufal.stab
20th January 2012, 05:51 PM
wow! I dont expect cars to be this complicated haha. but I assume car needs vast knowledge from tyre to engine.

I think what Big Gordy said makes sense. better for me to buy a used RFT for my front driver side tyre 1st. Then, when I have enough money later, I'll definitely change to non RFT cause they are all too expensive!!!after all, RFT are not bullet proof tyre which can last forever. they still are prone to puncture and need replacement. The diff is the car can still move on a punctured RFT up to several miles. Am I right?

I have checked my car tyres. They are definitely RFT with Pirelli tyres all round. not sure which Pirelli tho. But to get another used Pirelli RFT which match my other tyres are quite difficult too. if I am lucky enough, only then I'll get it. Is it okay if I use another brand RFT temporarily then change to non RFT when they are all worn out at the same time? Or will it affect the car steering eg. car pull to the left? My car right now feels pulled to the left. I think it may be due to the uneven tyre worn. who knows

RobSco
20th January 2012, 06:54 PM
If your looking for Tryres, try Camskills, quite a few on here have used them with no problems and I'm sure they would give you a good deal as that's where I bought tyres from when I got rid of the dreaded Run Flats... :thumbs up:

www.camskill.co.uk

Mon the fish
20th January 2012, 07:23 PM
EARS motorsport, 2x 215/40 17 Parada Spec 2, £170. Leave the run flats on the back if you can't afford 4. Job done.

GCA3N
20th January 2012, 08:00 PM
Mate I might be able to get you a pair of Dunlop runflats (205/45/17) They are used with only 3-4 mm of thread but I can get them for you for nowt. You would have to pick them up in glasgow. I am not sure where you are but I do travel up and down Scotland so a drop off could also be arranged.

bullet
21st January 2012, 01:03 AM
hope you get your tyre problem sorted out in no time buddy:thumbs up: :motoring:

naufal.stab
21st January 2012, 03:17 AM
Dear all.

Thanks for all your advices and recommendations :) I hope it will sort out soon too.

To GCA3N, I have sent you a PM. Sorry for replying late as I was sleeping early just now.

But I am still curious why would the tyre have uneven wear and tear. They are all fitted at the same time assuming that. Can anybody answer that.

Many thanks everyone :)

Gismo
21st January 2012, 04:23 AM
Tyre wear on one particular tyre can be numerous things, from over or under inflation, heavier cornering assuming the driver was better at a right or left bend to even having bought uneven replacements.

Always rotate the whelks front to back and side to side to help get even tyre wear

naufal.stab
21st January 2012, 04:38 AM
hmm thats a new information to me. I am glad its not related to a major problem that may arise from a car. pheww

Mon the fish
21st January 2012, 08:47 AM
Check your front rear wishbone bushes, on an R53 of that mileage they'll be shot - the wheels will move about under load, possibly making tyre wear worse

Big Gordy
21st January 2012, 03:25 PM
You would have to pick them up in glasgow. I am not sure where you are but I do travel up and down Scotland so a drop off could also be arranged.

I work in Hillington, Glasgow so could bring them back to the Falkirk area if need be :thumbs up:

GCA3N
21st January 2012, 03:48 PM
Nice one gordy

RobSco
21st January 2012, 06:22 PM
Hi thanks all for your replies :)
This forum does surely have "friendly" environment as being suggested. Actually, I am an international student studying in London. But my car is in Manchester since my friend's house there has parking space for me to park. (as you know London is too crowded and living in a flat in Central London making it almost impossible to afford). I think Manchester is not that far from Scotland. I really want to come to Scotland for its beauty. just can't wait :p

Actually, I bought an air filter from a folk living in Dundee. He suggested this community for me to get to know Minis and their owners deeper. I can say this is a good community :) Before I just joined Mini2, but it is not really helpful cause I rarely get any reply for my question.

To Craig and Stewart, I would be happy if you can point out any garage with good service and reasonable price nearest to Manchester (perhaps southern Scotland), if not anywhere you know worth checking first. I am happy to travel as long as it worth it. Plus, I can enjoy travelling in Scotland as well :) Again, really hope for recommendation that suits my budget (as a mere student with mere budget) and taking into account the things I need to spend in lump sum (service+brakes+tyre+MOT).

Cheers :)

Hi Greig and Gordy

Think Naufal is further away than you think... :yes nod: ... Above post was copied from the Forum Introduce Yourself, But it nice to see what the Members on NMS will do for others... :thumbs up:

Big Gordy
21st January 2012, 09:19 PM
Dohh......he's in Manchester ain't he...??

Craig
21st January 2012, 09:27 PM
Dohh......he's in Manchester ain't he...??

Yup ;(

naufal.stab
21st January 2012, 09:47 PM
Yup. In manchester :(

I just read somewhere that when a car pulls to the left, it got sthg to do with hitting potholes? I am not sure what damage that is. But from the tone, they said it might be costly to get it fixed. Is it true?? I wouldnt want to imagine keying in more figures in my budget book :(

stoney
21st January 2012, 10:02 PM
it all depends i would prob just get it taken to a garage and have it checked over as gismo said it could be a number of things

naufal.stab
21st January 2012, 11:23 PM
noted! will take it soon. definitely.

I just have another question peeps. I am thinking of taking my car to get an inspection 1 as I just bought it and never did a thorough check on the car yet. When they quote the price of an inspection 1, does that price include the cost of changing brake fluid, coolant flush, oil change, oil filter and repairing any minor flaw which they manage to spot? I found a garage which quote £100 for an inspection 1. Is this a bargain or sthg that is too good to be true? but, I did read good review about this garage tho.

bullet
22nd January 2012, 12:03 AM
have you ever thought of getting an AA inspection,i dont think there much more than 100 ,they would give your car a thorough check over and let you know what if any parts are needing looked at and replaced,that way you know you aint been taking for a ride when you put it into a garage,just a wee thought.:motoring:

stoney
22nd January 2012, 10:13 AM
noted! will take it soon. definitely.

I just have another question peeps. I am thinking of taking my car to get an inspection 1 as I just bought it and never did a thorough check on the car yet. When they quote the price of an inspection 1, does that price include the cost of changing brake fluid, coolant flush, oil change, oil filter and repairing any minor flaw which they manage to spot? I found a garage which quote £100 for an inspection 1. Is this a bargain or sthg that is too good to be true? but, I did read good review about this garage tho.

this is just a full service no brake change or brake fluid just oil filters spark plugs fuel filter pollen filter air filter

Mon the fish
22nd January 2012, 07:25 PM
Spark plugs are inspection II - BMW only change them at 40k miles would you believe!

Pulling to the left - check your nearside strut tower for mushrooming

Sheilz
22nd January 2012, 10:45 PM
Sorry for hijacking the thread. Dougall needs new shoes. He's wearing 16s just now since Darren nicked my pace alloys. Had wanted F1s but they're not available in16s. Have been impressed with Rainsport 2 so that's one option. Anyone recommending the Quatracs or Rainexperts? What is the widest tyre that can be fitted to 16s? Sorry about the all the questions. Just thought I'd got my head round the variations for 17s and now having to go start over on 16s.

Any recommendations appreciated though I am most interested to know if anyone has compared the two uniroyal tyres. Still have the winter wheels lying out the back! Never got round to fitting them and dont think they were all that impressive last year but then of course we did have a lot of snow. Not sure if its worth putting them on now since winter will soon be over and had nothing but a few dustings in Aberdeen. Front tyres defo need changing sharpish and thanks to Aberdeen's wonderful range of potholed craters need wheels re-aligned too. I assume tha'ts what's caused the uneven tyre wear.

Thanks guys

naufal.stab
23rd January 2012, 08:55 PM
Hi everyone. Anyone has any comment about Kumho Ecsta 205/45/r17?? or maybe in other size for r17 tyres?? Heard some good reviews about them being great economical tyres. anyone??