PDA

View Full Version : New Mini Cooper S JCW 2005 owner :)

naufal.stab
20th January 2012, 03:38 PM
Hi guys. I am Naufal. Nice to meet you all :)

A month ago, I bought a black Cooper S JCW 2005 with 55k miles on the clock. That is my first Mini and my first car as well. Really a beginner here and need lots of advice from the other members.

Just out of curiosity, is 55k on 2005 Mini too much for its age?plus, it has got 4 previous owners before. The guy who sold the car to me is a nice guy. He said the previous owners were family members. I am a lil scared when came across thread that says avoid car with many previous owners. I have started to question the reliability of my Mini since then.

As far as I am concern, according to history, there are not much problem with it. But I just realize, its front driver side tyre has worn out. and front brakes may need change in the next MOT I guess. these are not signs of being ripped off right?

Btw, I just wanted to say hello since I am a newbie here :) and If possible, do share some opinions on my situation. if you got time to spare, I would really appreciate if you could point out where I should go for tyre and brake fitting at a cheap price. I thought of buying used tyre since the new one is expensive. and buy brakes from ebay. but the fitting cost is way too expensive :( at my wit's end now. thanks for looking by. cheers :)

Stewart
20th January 2012, 03:55 PM
Welcome to NMS!

That’s a nice looking car. Everyone will have there own opinion but I don’t think 55K on that year of car is excessive at all. Thing is anything that was going to go wrong probably would have gone wrong under warranty. If your unsure I’d find a local garage and get it serviced with an oil change, plugs and air filter so you can start afresh.

Pads and Tyres are expected to wear out.

It very well could have been a car passed down through a family and under used. Unless there is a fault/problem genuinely concerning you I’d just enjoy the new car. Like every model of car there is known problems/faults and it does no harm reading up on them but not to alarm yourself. It’s not a Model or year of Mini I’ve had but I’m sure a few on here can fill you in what to look out for. Take a look at R53 Mini known faults.

http://www.motoringfile.com/mini-r50r53-buyers-guide/

Many safe Miles in it.

Craig
20th January 2012, 03:58 PM
:welcome: Naufal

That mileage on that car is not excessive ....

Also let us know where you are as people may know of a good independant garage to sort your issues ;)

Coreygraham180
20th January 2012, 04:11 PM
:welcome:

and with the mileage i have a 55 plate mini one on about the same millage and it not that bad about average:thumbs up:

stoney
20th January 2012, 04:27 PM
Welcome I would say that's fine I have an 06 jcw GP and its got more miles than yours as for rubber I would get rid of your run flats and get non run flats much better ride to the car

Breaks well depends on what you want I have Mintex pads on mine and find them very good but find a local garage you can trust to fit for you :)

naufal.stab
20th January 2012, 04:39 PM
Hi thanks all for your replies :)
This forum does surely have "friendly" environment as being suggested. Actually, I am an international student studying in London. But my car is in Manchester since my friend's house there has parking space for me to park. (as you know London is too crowded and living in a flat in Central London making it almost impossible to afford). I think Manchester is not that far from Scotland. I really want to come to Scotland for its beauty. just can't wait :p

Actually, I bought an air filter from a folk living in Dundee. He suggested this community for me to get to know Minis and their owners deeper. I can say this is a good community :) Before I just joined Mini2, but it is not really helpful cause I rarely get any reply for my question.

To Craig and Stewart, I would be happy if you can point out any garage with good service and reasonable price nearest to Manchester (perhaps southern Scotland), if not anywhere you know worth checking first. I am happy to travel as long as it worth it. Plus, I can enjoy travelling in Scotland as well :) Again, really hope for recommendation that suits my budget (as a mere student with mere budget) and taking into account the things I need to spend in lump sum (service+brakes+tyre+MOT).

Cheers :)

Big Gordy
20th January 2012, 05:19 PM
Welcome to the site Naufal :thumbs up:
Get yourself logged on to Northern mini if your cars in Manchester....might be more help finding you a garage:yes nod:

Gismo
20th January 2012, 05:26 PM

naufal.stab
20th January 2012, 05:52 PM
Thanks all :) will do :)

N16SHP
20th January 2012, 05:57 PM
Hey Naufal, welcome to NMS! I agree with the others that the mileage on your car is pretty good for the age of the car and get onto Northern Mini for some local garages and advice. Your also not far from one of our members 'MikeytheMini' who's in Merseyside I believe.

RobSco
20th January 2012, 07:05 PM
Hi Naufal

Welcome to New mini Scotland... :thumbs up:

MINIme:)
20th January 2012, 07:44 PM

silver spirit
20th January 2012, 10:18 PM
Welcome to NMS

MrMischief
20th January 2012, 11:47 PM
Hey Naufal,

Glad you found the site ok....peeps, I'm the "folks" that recommended he joined up after he bought my ITG filter ;)
Your car looks good - don't think that mileage is particularly high for any vehicle of that age. Just make sure it's been well serviced & looked after - or that it is from now on.

I'd agree, get rid of the runflats for better handling.

Enjoy :thumbs up:
Steve

bullet
21st January 2012, 12:53 AM
hey naufal,welcome to nms, the average mileage for a car is around 10,000 so your actually below average mileage,theres loads of friendly people on this site willing to help out with your car,any questions just ask.:motoring:

naufal.stab
21st January 2012, 03:07 AM
Hi everyone :)

Thanks for your greetings. I am really glad I found a lovely Mini and the fact that I now own one really makes me proud I can say :p When I look at the galleries, I was wowed by how much great looking Minis are out there. Every colour and design(vinyl stripes particularly) makes every car looks unique. and the fact that my car is in Manchester, every time I walk in London streets and saw Minis on the road, I feel like getting on my Mini and drive all way long haha :p

Btw, thanks to Steve for introducing this website. What a small world! Its great I can say :) Really cant wait my ITG filter :p

Thanks everyone :) looking forward to join any event in the future when my classes are off :)

Colin
23rd January 2012, 01:13 PM

ELFMAN
23rd January 2012, 03:27 PM
Hi Naufal, :welcome: Nice motor :cool: :thumbs up:
I had an R53 JCW 210, which I loved, so I know you'll enjoy the car, and you'll enjoy it even more with NMS! :motoring:

By the way, if you're on a tight budget and you need BRAKES, I have a set (Disks and Calipers) off my current car, removed when I fitted the JCW 4-Pots. The brakes for the R56 S (Turbo) are the same as the 'Works' Brakes upgrade for the R53 (your car). You're welcome to them for a fairly knock-down price as they're just gathering dust in their boxes and I'd rather see them used than kicking about my shed. You'd obviously still have to get them fitted though...

Mon the fish
23rd January 2012, 04:46 PM
^^ do this. Standard R53 brakes are woeful, this is an essential and easy upgrade.

Mind and get R56 brake pipes though, whilst the calipers are the same as R53 JCW, the connectors aren't

naufal.stab
23rd January 2012, 05:26 PM
Thanks everyone :)

To Elfman, I am quite interested to know about the brakes. I will send you a PM you yeah.

Yeah I do really love my JCW R53. I havent had enough time to play around with it yet. Plus, when I drive, my gf always accompany me. Andddd it's really difficult to test the power cause she is loud when I am about over the speed limit. even a full mph over the limit, she will scare me to death with her loud shout haha. really have to wait some time when travelling alone to really feel the power :p

cheers everyone and enjoy our MINIs!!! :)

MINI William
24th January 2012, 03:37 PM
Welcome along to NMS

Duncan Stewart
24th January 2012, 08:11 PM

SuperCooperS
27th January 2012, 09:52 PM
Hi and welcome along

T5LLC
22nd July 2012, 08:42 PM
:welcome: just catching up on threads :)

55k on the clock is pretty good my 2008 Cooper S sold with just over that mileage last month lol

naufal.stab
23rd July 2012, 04:27 AM
:welcome: just catching up on threads :)

55k on the clock is pretty good my 2008 Cooper S sold with just over that mileage last month lol

Cheers buddy :) appreciate your comment even tho this thread has just passed its half year old :p

T5LLC
23rd July 2012, 05:43 PM
I was hiding for a while lol I did say "catching up"