PDA

View Full Version : pops and bangs r56

bullet
19th January 2012, 03:00 AM
im a wee bit confused here regarding the r56 jcw ability to pop and bang, as i mentioned before i was told at peter vardy that the r56 jcw cant pop and bang yet have read loads of owner comments sayin there car pops and bangs like a machine gun,on the other hand there is also comments about mini taking away this ability via an upgrade to the computer and many owners were left aggrieved as they were not consulted,many owners loved the burble and pops and bangs from the jcw.the reason im askin is because my mini doesnt pop or bang and sounds quite tame,have seen lots of videos on you tube of the pops and bangs and was wondering if i maybe have a fault, :popcorn:,

bullet
19th January 2012, 01:26 PM
:explode: bang

ianking
19th January 2012, 01:30 PM
Vardy are talking nonsense.
My 2008 R56 factory JCW popped and banged all day long, especially when it had heated up.
My 2011 R56 S pops and bangs almost as much as the JCW did just not quite as deep a tone.

Burple
19th January 2012, 01:52 PM
This....

Drive along in 3rd... and keep the revs just about 2000, and lift off.. :D:D:D then Grin..

Actually it'll work in any gear, and even better if you 've got the Sport button on! :cool:

N16SHP
19th January 2012, 02:37 PM
This....

Drive along in 3rd... and keep the revs just about 2000, and lift off.. :D:D:D then Grin..

Actually it'll work in any gear, and even better if you 've got the Sport button on! :cool:

Agreed! I do enjoy a good plant in 2nd and then lifting off at about 2500, seems to get a nice crisp pop from the back.

I do remember last year there was a lot of chat on TM about this issue with the software etc, but my car went in to get a service and received a software update and still popped and banged. When I got my car it only had 10,000 on the clock and the longer I've had it (almost 3 years now with 25,000 on the clock) it is actually popping and banging more.

ELFMAN
19th January 2012, 02:47 PM
Silly Question No. 1276: Do you have it in 'Sport' mode?
My R56 popped and banged a bit in standard form, it was certainly audible, but to my ears quite muted (although I was coming from my 'Heavy Metal' soundtrack R53 JCW - so Metallica would've sounded like Dido after that). I always thought it sounded quite nice, but too refined for my liking. After fitting the JCW Stage 1 kit (incl exhaust), it was much more noticeable, and when I fitted the Milltek Downpipe it really made a difference. It now pops, Bangs and Gurgles at almost Factory JCW levels.

WHEN does it do it? My car pops and gurgles on the over-run, and I'll often get a proper 'bang' (chance would be a fine thing...) when changing gear, particularly from 1st to 2nd. In isolation, it sounds quite vocal, but in the company of noisier MINIs it can still seem a wee bit quiet - but on the other hand, it sounds great and doesn't attract too much unwanted attention, whereas my old car alternately shouted "Race Me!" or "Arrest Me!" every time I used any revs :shut up:
As Ian said, your car should be making some sort of interesting sounds even in bog-standard spec. Stick it in Sport Mode and give it some beans for 20 minutes! :motoring:

MINI William
19th January 2012, 02:58 PM
Vardys are talking complete p!sh. My JCW pops and bangs at every oppertunity. It can bang all the way upto 6th.

ELFMAN
19th January 2012, 03:02 PM
It can bang all the way up to 6th.

Ahhh, I'd need a Nurse (or two), a pile of Vitamins and a heart monitor for that...

MINIme:)
19th January 2012, 03:03 PM
Who was it that said that bullet? I'm learning that some of them are more clued up than others.

Craig
19th January 2012, 04:28 PM
If your coming to the meet in March I am sure someone will will show you "the way" :yes nod:

ELFMAN
19th January 2012, 04:40 PM
ahem,it was brian,head of mini sales,and i quote, the r56 jcw doesnt pop and bang, its the old style supercharged gp that would do it.......:scratch:,

WHAT A LOAD OF B*LL*CKS! Has he ever DRIVEN an R56 JCW (forwards, outwith the forecourt)? :argh: :ragin: How can you be 'Head' of anything when your own is full of mince?

BRIAN? "He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty Salesman!" :hand: (one for all you closet Python fans out there).

MINI William
19th January 2012, 05:36 PM
If your coming to the meet in March I am sure someone will will show you "the way" :yes nod:

Second that. As far as im aware the only cars that there was problems not popping and banging was the Cooper S and not JCW. Just to make sure you have it in SPORT dont you?

MINI William
19th January 2012, 05:37 PM
Ahhh, I'd need a Nurse (or two), a pile of Vitamins and a heart monitor for that...

:laugh:

N16SHP
19th January 2012, 06:53 PM
Second that. As far as im aware the only cars that there was problems not popping and banging was the Cooper S and not JCW. Just to make sure you have it in SPORT dont you?

That's exactly what I've read William it was the S that had the problems, not the JCW. There was this whole ECU non-sense going around for a while, but as I said early, my S popped and banged, went in to get a service and software upgrade and still pops and bangs.

Elfman - Couldn't agree more about the head of sales!

T5 POL
19th January 2012, 08:13 PM
My S pops and bangs when cold at around 2k rpm. When warm the exhaust gives a nice throaty deep tone. With the JCW exhaust its possible to drive half throttle with very little noise, but then give it plenty and it sounds nice and deep :D

stoney
19th January 2012, 10:28 PM
well mine pops and bang just nice :lol:

o thats right i have a R53 :lol:

Martin c
19th January 2012, 10:45 PM
My R56 JCW pops and bangs all the time :smilewinkgrin:

Burple
20th January 2012, 05:41 PM

Nope, it should do it when not in SPORT too... maybe just not as much... a good dose of Saisnburys (or any other big company) Super unleaded helps :cool:

MINI William
20th January 2012, 05:43 PM
well mine pops and bang just nice :lol:

o thats right i have a R53 :lol:

What one of those slow things :smilewinkgrin:

MINI William
20th January 2012, 05:43 PM
Nope, it should do it when not in SPORT too... maybe just not as much... a good dose of Saisnburys (or any other big company) Super unleaded helps :cool:

Thats why i was asking if it was in sport as they are more audibale

stoney
21st January 2012, 08:53 PM
how a mini should sound :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x11g7AeVe0&context=C30f4c90ADOEgsToPDskJJ MUVxhB1oQ180jjZsQ7La (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x11g7AeVe0&context=C30f4c90ADOEgsToPDskJJMUVxhB1oQ180jjZsQ7La )

only prob is its an R53 :lol:

Coreygraham180
22nd January 2012, 12:11 AM
how a mini should sound :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x11g7AeVe0&context=C30f4c90ADOEgsToPDskJJ MUVxhB1oQ180jjZsQ7La (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x11g7AeVe0&context=C30f4c90ADOEgsToPDskJJMUVxhB1oQ180jjZsQ7La )

only prob is its an R53 :lol:

have to say mate your car sounds super the first mini i tried was a cooper s and i thought it sounded nice but your one sounds fantastic mate

i hate having to tell the insurance company my age ...lol

stoney
22nd January 2012, 10:09 AM
have to say mate your car sounds super the first mini i tried was a cooper s and i thought it sounded nice but your one sounds fantastic mate

i hate having to tell the insurance company my age ...lol

mine has a manifold and ITG air filter in it as well so not standard :lol:

Craig
29th January 2012, 11:42 PM
glad to say my lil mini is now popping and bangin,i coudnt have been givin her enough beans but after a couple of days of letting of steam,lol round the back roads of forfar she is cracklin like a tommy gun,that addedwith the loud burble makes her pretty noisy :shut up:,am well happy.:yes nod:

Quality !! :thumbs up:

MINIme:)
29th January 2012, 11:47 PM
good to hear this :yes nod: hope you have lots more fun now!

bullet
29th January 2012, 11:54 PM
Quality !! :thumbs up:

cheers mate :thumbs up:

GCA3N
30th January 2012, 08:51 AM
Excellent

MINI William
30th January 2012, 11:39 AM
Pleased for you

stoney
30th January 2012, 01:42 PM
Good stuff can not beat a bit of pop and banging :)

ELFMAN
30th January 2012, 02:03 PM
When in doubt, REV IT OUT!!!!! :motoring: :thumbs up:
Glad you've finally 'POPPED your JCW Cherry'! :blush: :smilewinkgrin:

Stewart
30th January 2012, 05:12 PM
Got to love the sound of the over run on Robs GP and thats form Capt slow here!:thumbs up:

Does no one have a clip of JCW/S with the Quad on the back:hand: First Mini run I did was the picnic and thought my car was making a strange sounds, nope just robs car in front! :smilewinkgrin:

Not Robs but hay!

http://youtu.be/pysg2ZT0HYI

stoney
30th January 2012, 06:08 PM
no dont have any clips of my old one but it was louder than that :lol: