PDA

View Full Version : Worldwide MINI recall

GCA3N
15th January 2012, 10:08 PM
Picked this of TM, appears it may be UK cars too. Not good.

Summary:
BMW IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2007-2011 MINI COOPER S, 2008-2011 MINI COOPER S CLUBMAN, 2009-2011 MINI COOPER S CONVERTIBLE, 2009-2011 MINI COOPER JCW, 2009-2011 MINI COOPER JCW CLUBMAN, 2009-2011 COOPER JCW CONVERTIBLE, AND 2011 COOPER S COUNTRYMAN PASSENGER CARS MANUFACTURED FROM NOVEMBER 14, 2006, THROUGH JANUARY 18, 2011. THE ELECTRIC AUXILIARY WATER PUMP THAT COOLS THE TURBOCHARGER HAS AN ELECTRONIC CIRCUIT BOARD THAT CAN MALFUNCTION AND OVERHEAT.
Consequence:
THE CIRCUIT BOARD MAY SMOLDER WHICH COULD RESULT IN A VEHICLE FIRE.
Remedy:
BMW WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE WATER PUMP FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING FEBRUARY 2012.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/results.cfm?rcl_id=12V008&searchtype=quicksearch&summary=true

AndyP & Lenore
15th January 2012, 10:22 PM
Interesting. Will keep a look out for the recorded delivery letter.

A.

Craig
15th January 2012, 10:28 PM
If this is true it will be the first time EVER I have known mini to issue a recall, cos they never did it with the fuel pump fiasco, they just put lives at risk :frown:

MINIme:)
15th January 2012, 10:33 PM
wow. Does that relate to that fireball car thing we were talking about a wee while back? Car switched off and walked away then...fire. Not good at all. :sad:

Stewart
15th January 2012, 11:46 PM
Have to check when a friend got her COOPER S COUNTRYMAN, I'm sure it was the second week of January she picked it up so the build date would be right for a recall.
Sometimes I’m grateful I never went for an S as generally the Cooper models seem to have less problems and certainly no death rattles etc….That sounds a sore one for BMW.....

Gismo
16th January 2012, 01:24 AM
Hmm, my cousin has a 2011, thanks for the heads up

N16SHP
16th January 2012, 12:05 PM
If this is a UK recall too, cannot wait to hear John Clark's excuses for not doing work even though its a manufacturer recall. Still, they can but surprise me :)

ianking
16th January 2012, 01:18 PM
Interesting. Will keep a look out for the recorded delivery letter.

A.

Wont your blue car be too old and your white one too new as it is for cars built prior to Jan 2011 and from 2007 onwards

AndyP & Lenore
16th January 2012, 08:29 PM
Now a worldwide recall!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16586961

A.

AndyP & Lenore
16th January 2012, 08:30 PM
Greig, I've changed the thread title to reflect the fact this is now a worldwide recall.

A.

AndyP & Lenore
16th January 2012, 08:31 PM
Wont your blue car be too old and your white one too new as it is for cars built prior to Jan 2011 and from 2007 onwards

Ian, our blue hatch is a June 2007 car.

A.

Craig
16th January 2012, 08:38 PM
now on bbc - it's official...

AndyP & Lenore
16th January 2012, 08:44 PM
Now a worldwide recall!!!

A.

now on bbc - it's official...

Is there an echo in here, here?

A.

Craig
16th January 2012, 08:56 PM
Is there an echo in here, here?

A.

I never read the first page... just the second.... :rolleyes:

Stewart
16th January 2012, 09:01 PM
Just thinking I bet if the customer was paying this would be a longer bigger job :ragin:

“Customers should receive a letter inviting them to have their water pump replaced for free at a Mini dealership. The upgrade work takes about an hour”

GCA3N
16th January 2012, 09:03 PM
Just thinking I bet if the customer was paying this would be a longer bigger job :ragin:

“Customers should receive a letter inviting them to have their water pump replaced for free at a Mini dealership. The upgrade work takes about an hour”

Your not wrong there bud.

Wonder when the letters or calls will be made?

mikeythemini
16th January 2012, 10:39 PM
We had a clubby in last month , customer reported smoke from under the bonnet on start up.
here is the culprit

stoney
16th January 2012, 11:08 PM
We had a clubby in last month , customer reported smoke from under the bonnet on start up.
here is the culprit

thats not good !! no wonder there recalling them

Gismo
16th January 2012, 11:52 PM
Wonder when the letters or calls will be made?
I've already had an e-mail from the dealer, i think the fact it's been splattered all over the news that MINI had to do something quick. Also, in the USA dealers have to be on the ball or they'll get sued :Whistle:

Bazthemod
17th January 2012, 12:35 AM
Was speaking to dealer today when I was in - MINI have requested details from DVLA to send letters imminently.

GCA3N
17th January 2012, 06:59 AM
I've already had an e-mail from the dealer, i think the fact it's been splattered all over the news that MINI had to do something quick. Also, in the USA dealers have to be on the ball or they'll get sued :Whistle:

Cheers Alan.

Was speaking to dealer today when I was in - MINI have requested details from DVLA to send letters imminently.

Nice one.

rpn
17th January 2012, 08:08 AM
Just wait and see is my MCS qualified for the recall.

Apple recalled their Gen 1 iPod Nano last month due to battery problem and replaced them with their latest Gen 6 model. I can't grumble really as my iPod Nano was over 6 years old with both the front and back faces all marked.

Wonder BMW would do the same as Apple!

ianking
17th January 2012, 09:24 AM
Ian, our blue hatch is a June 2007 car.

A.

Ah, I thought your blue car was a 2006 56 plate car as I had thought you ordered it on the launch night like Sarah and I did for hers after getting plied with free wine at Menzies.

ELFMAN
17th January 2012, 09:37 AM
That'll teach them to buy stuff from the Barras... :hand:

Martin c
24th January 2012, 07:31 PM
PV called me today asking if I was aware on the water pump recall and saying that they now have the go ahead from mini.
So that's getting done along with the timing chain tensioner next Wednesday ;)

GCA3N
24th January 2012, 08:07 PM
PV called me today asking if I was aware on the water pump recall and saying that they now have the go ahead from mini.

Good news

AndyP & Lenore
24th January 2012, 09:34 PM

Hmmmm. This is a bit worrying. Clearly Peter Vardy don't know their head from their ar@e!!!!:ragin:

I called Peter Vardy service department today and the MINI service guy said they didn't yet have the details on this recall from MINI.:idunno: He said NONE of the dealers have it yet. As soon as they have it they will get in touch. He said that so far all that had happened was MINI issued the press release then not supplied any of the dealers with details of which cars to call in - causing the dealers a significant amount of call-fending from concerned owners.

I guess it's conceivable that 10 mins after I hung up the phone with the guy, he got an email or some other communication with the list of cars but....

A.:frown:

Neil - TXJ
24th January 2012, 10:08 PM
Booked in with Eastern yesterday for a service and they still had no details re the recall. Booked in for a couple of weeks so hope to kill 2 birds with one stone.

Martin c
24th January 2012, 10:33 PM
It was just before 5 when they called me and the guy did say that that it had just come through

24th January 2012, 10:39 PM
Hmmmm. This is a bit worrying. Clearly Peter Vardy don't know their head from their ar@e!!!!:ragin:

I called Peter Vardy service department today and the MINI service guy said they didn't yet have the details on this recall from MINI.:idunno: He said NONE of the dealers have it yet.
A.:frown:

none of them have info? utter bollocks. the girl who lives above me has an 08 S and is uni mates with one of my friends at work. She had a text from DP Hamilton about 2 weeks ago to tell her about the recall.

24th January 2012, 11:31 PM
think it's related to a circuit board that can start to smoulder. And then go on fire.

Car fires = BAD

ELFMAN
25th January 2012, 02:17 PM
I'm 'with' DP in Hamilton and haven't heard a word from them.
I'm going to phone them later today and find out what to do if my pride & joy (also an '08 S) goes up in smoke... and where to send the bill.

25th January 2012, 02:40 PM
She did buy the car from them and only a month or two ago. worth a phone I'd say Euan.

ELFMAN
26th January 2012, 03:54 PM
They beat me to it Joanna! Booked in for Monday :thumbs up:

Gismo
26th January 2012, 04:10 PM
My dealer sent out e-mails to say that MINI will contact each person by letter and to not call the dealer until receipt of the letter, this is to give MINI and the dealer time to get the replacement parts

N16SHP
26th January 2012, 04:25 PM
Got a phone call today from John Clark, so its booked in for Tuesday. The guy on the phone was incredibly helpful for being John Clark, so that was a pleasant surprise. Out of curiosity, does anyone know how courtesy cars work in this situation? As I am pretty dependent on my car at the moment. Also don't know how it work with my ages etc.

weefossy
26th January 2012, 06:19 PM
The Beast goes in tomorrow. Not sure on courtesy cars, but I would think this is as good a reason as any, to get one. As long as you give them plenty warning.

Bazthemod
27th January 2012, 12:12 AM
Got my call today and was booked in for Tuesday... then I remembered the girl on the phone saying 'Astro Black' so after a quick call back it turns out they still have my previous car on file rather than my new one.

My 2011 JCW is not effected and had the new part from factory. Happy days!

Neil and Lorna
27th January 2012, 08:19 PM
Got a call today from JCs about the recall
Will book it in at Eastern to have it done as its a tad closer than Dundee for us :D

weefossy
27th January 2012, 09:59 PM
Job done today, no problems at all. And they remembered not to wash / hoover the car.

28th January 2012, 05:15 PM
If anyone from over Glasgow ish way happens to be going to Vardy for this work please let me know as I have something to pick up from them (and swap) - they sold me the wrong thing by mistake - keen to not do a 2hr round trip for it if I can help it. Long shot but I thought I might as well put it out there!

ELFMAN
30th January 2012, 04:02 PM
Just got call from DP MINI Hamilton - car fixed and ready for collection - without washing as instructed I hope! :hand:

They've also stuck on a new rear wiper blade (£10 -must be one of the cheapest items in the MINI catalogue) which some bampot snapped when shutting the boot after washing/drying car last week :argh: :ragin: ...well it was the first thing that came to hand and my brain was numb with the COLD :freezing:

Stewart
30th January 2012, 05:02 PM
Its ok I had to buy one in Dec for my Sisters Mini. Amazingly it fell off when I was washing it. Had a bit of “ oh great not my fault moment honest” when the plastic had a clean snap but was being held in place.

Walking in I said right “what did you do with the rear wiper”

Reply “ funny you should say that I closed the boot and there was a snapping noise but I did not know what it was”

My reply “Did you close the boot using the blade”

Reply “might have”

The road to enlightenment as always with my Big sis! I put my one on as she was heading back down south and picked one up on the passing at HF. Must be the cheapest Item they sell for just over £10. ;) THat reminds me i need new front blade!:sad:

stoney
30th January 2012, 06:11 PM
well even cheaper for the GP :lol: i dont have one :lol:

GCA3N
30th January 2012, 06:43 PM
Mines goes in Friday, been promised a coupe as a courtesy car, we'll see.

Stewart
30th January 2012, 06:56 PM
Mines goes in Friday, been promised a coupe as a courtesy car, we'll see.

Dealers and promises Mmmmmmmm I expect you’ll have a Mini one then!:smilewinkgrin:

Be good if they gave you a Works to compare as its said to be sharper drive then the hatch. :moonie:

RyanK
30th January 2012, 07:20 PM
Still no info here.

GCA3N
30th January 2012, 08:11 PM
Be good if they gave you a Works to compare as its said to be sharper drive then the hatch. :moonie:

Nah no way.

GCA3N
30th January 2012, 08:11 PM
Still no info here.

Did u call them mate, I did, tired of waiting.

AndyP & Lenore
30th January 2012, 11:49 PM
Called PV today 'cos I was fed up waiting as well.... "Oh, Mr Poole you were my next call." Aye, RIGHT.

Booked in for Friday morning. Countryman is fine and doesn't require changing apparently.

A.:D

Craig
30th January 2012, 11:53 PM
Called PV today 'cos I was fed up waiting as well.... "Oh, Mr Poole you were my next call." Aye, RIGHT.

Booked in for Friday morning. Countryman is fine and doesn't require changing apparently.

Never thought I'd see that in a sentence .... "countryman is fine and doesn't require changing apparently" :lol: :laugh:

AndyP & Lenore
31st January 2012, 12:51 AM
Never thought I'd see that in a sentence .... "countryman is fine and doesn't require changing apparently" :lol: :laugh:

Well, when I say changing, I mean fixing.:yes nod:

Needs changing; new alloys (purchased), JCW tuning kit (not out yet), graphics (watch this space).:smilewinkgrin:

ELFMAN
31st January 2012, 09:15 AM
its said to be sharper drive then the hatch. :moonie:

Maybe it's just more bumpy and twitchy? (Two of the lesser-known MINI Dwarves).

bullet
31st January 2012, 02:55 PM
i phoned mini today to find out if my model was one of those affected by the recall,it is and was told to book it into a dealership,i then phoned grassiks and was told "we dont have the replacement parts from bmw yet,you will have to wait until you get your letter,they are being sent out in february",ive heard nothing from peter vardy in edinburgh where i bought the car despite emailing them,poor service:ragin:,add to that im left driving about in a car that could be a firetrap till who knows when, :frown:

Bazthemod
31st January 2012, 03:23 PM
i phoned mini today to find out if my model was one of those affected by the recall,it is and was told to book it into a dealership,i then phoned grassiks and was told "we dont have the replacement parts from bmw yet,you will have to wait until you get your letter,they are being sent out in february",ive heard nothing from peter vardy in edinburgh where i bought the car despite emailing them,poor service:ragin:,add to that im left driving about in a car that could be a firetrap till who knows when, :frown:

Have you tried John Clarks? Surprisingly good service of late in Dundee.

bullet
31st January 2012, 06:13 PM
Have you tried John Clarks? Surprisingly good service of late in Dundee ,,,, was a wee bit put off going to jc after reading several unfavourable comments about the dealership,thats why i opted for grassicks,its further out of the way but i wanted good service and after the chain tensioner problem i have to say i cant fault grassicks for customer service,am annoyed at vardys in edinburgh,have heard nothing from them or brian smith who i emailed.hopefully i will receive a letter in the next week or so because according to parts at grassicks you have to wait until you get your recall letter before you can book it in,hmmmmm.:scratch:,phoned mini in sheffield to clarify and though initially puzzled when isaid this after speaking to grassicks they agreed with them.not sure im happy driving around in something that could catch fire until whenever.:idunno:

rpn
31st January 2012, 10:48 PM
My Camden S is booked in for next Wednesday to JC Aberdeen for replacement part. Happy days :cool:

Apparently, my car is one of the last of the built affected.

bullet
31st January 2012, 11:27 PM
i phoned jc in dundee just to see if you needed to have received a letter about a recall before putting your mini in,the lassie said "not at all,you dont need the letter,were booking cars in right now,would you like me to book you in?" i said id phone back as its jc but now its getting confusing,each dealership is contradicting the other and mini doesnt seem to know whats going on,shambles.:frown:

Bazthemod
1st February 2012, 12:30 AM
Mines would have been done today if it was my previous car that I still had.

MINI have issued the go ahead and parts - don't understand why dealers would say otherwise.

They could just be making up excuses as im sure the smaller dealers service depts will be booked up solid.

Martin c
1st February 2012, 04:42 PM
Dropped mine at PV for the recall and timing chain rattle this morning, not heard back if the cars ready or not though, got a 118d coupe courtesy car till she's sorted so not to bad

ELFMAN
1st February 2012, 05:03 PM
My 'Courtesy Car' was a Taxi which cost me a grand total of £6.00 from and back to the dealer - I work pretty close. I was going to 'claim' it, but Douglas Park MINI are always good with me (eg fitting my Carbon Steering Wheel bit F.O.C. etc etc), so I just paid it as it was too little to spend time on and I couldn't be bothered trying to sort it out! Last of the Big Spenders eh? :smilewinkgrin:

RyanK
13th February 2012, 12:30 PM
Still haven't heard anything regarding this from John Clarks. Anyone up north had their car sorted with them?

Don't want to call if they haven't got round to sorting them yet.

Bazthemod
13th February 2012, 01:23 PM
I would call them Ryan, only takes them seconds to check the chassis number.

Seems all JCW apart from the 2011 models are effected.

Burple
13th February 2012, 01:34 PM
got mine done last week.. Just happened to mention it when we were in JC's 'on other business' ;) and got it booked in there and then to have the recall work and a 'vehicle inspection' service done... Also got them to look at the timing chain rattle as it seems to have come back again... that might be another story... :confused:

RyanK
13th February 2012, 02:10 PM
I would call them Ryan, only takes them seconds to check the chassis number.

Seems all JCW apart from the 2011 models are effected.

Cheers min. I'll get onto them this week, need it sorted before mu ;)

N16SHP
13th February 2012, 05:41 PM
Still haven't heard anything regarding this from John Clarks. Anyone up north had their car sorted with them?

Don't want to call if they haven't got round to sorting them yet.

Hey Ryan, mine has been in to get fixed. They are apparently doing it by chassis number and age, so the oldest ones are getting done first, however Kirsten's S is only 6 months newer than mine and we still haven't heard anything yet :idunno:

Bazthemod
13th February 2012, 06:04 PM
Cheers min. I'll get onto them this week, need it sorted before mu ;)

Is that you actually deciding to come? Who are you and what have you done with Mr Indecisive? haha

Duncan Stewart
13th February 2012, 08:53 PM
Got mine done at JCs in Dundee last week
They called me week before to ask me to bring it in

rpn
13th February 2012, 11:30 PM
Ryan, I got mine sorted by JC Aberdeen last week.

RyanK
14th February 2012, 12:22 AM
Hey Ryan, mine has been in to get fixed. They are apparently doing it by chassis number and age, so the oldest ones are getting done first, however Kirsten's S is only 6 months newer than mine and we still haven't heard anything yet :idunno:

Cheers Neil. Possibly your mrs and my car's are sanctioned to the dealers we originally bought them from? IIRC she bought it down south as did I. Can't see why this would be but my friend who has a JCW Clubman in which was bought from a dealer in London hasn't heard a thing either!

Is that you actually deciding to come? Who are you and what have you done with Mr Indecisive? haha

Haha. Finally grew a set mate

Got mine done at JCs in Dundee last week
They called me week before to ask me to bring it in

Ryan, I got mine sorted by JC Aberdeen last week.

Cheers folks. Time to get on the case!

N16SHP
14th February 2012, 10:30 AM
Cheers Neil. Possibly your mrs and my car's are sanctioned to the dealers we originally bought them from? IIRC she bought it down south as did I. Can't see why this would be but my friend who has a JCW Clubman in which was bought from a dealer in London hasn't heard a thing either!

Yeah she got hers from Blue Bell Wilmslow. I questioned with them about it being from a different dealer hense the delay but they assured me (yes JC trying to assure someone...HA) that it was in the queue.

Spacecadetrik
2nd March 2012, 05:54 PM
Mine booked in for next Wednesday at Menzies in Stirling. Didn't buy the car there, but very impressed with the service staff so far in the professional way they dealt with me.

N16SHP
6th March 2012, 09:35 PM
Well that's Kirsten and I both had the recall work carried out by John Clark Aberdeen, and I'm going to hold my hands up here and say that their service was excellent. I don't think anyone would disagree with me when I say it was pretty obvious that I hated JC's. But the last three visits have all been faultless. Great communication when the cars have been in, work carried out properly and even listened when I said I didn't want our cars washed. We're all quick to jump up and say how crap a stealer is, but in this instance I'm going to give JC Aberdeen a big :thumbs up:!

(We shall see how long this last's until we have a problem that is not warranty related :D)