PDA

View Full Version : clutch in or out on start up ??

stoney
12th January 2012, 10:27 PM
so do you put your clutch in when you start your car or do you leave it out ??

MINIme:)
12th January 2012, 10:30 PM
it doesn't start unless the clutch is in

...Although I did that anyway in the last car which didn't have a start stop button.

AndyP & Lenore
12th January 2012, 10:30 PM
chuckle. Chuckle. Chuckle.:smilewinkgrin::smilewinkgrin::smilewinkgr in:

<<<<<Takes deep breath and prepares an answer...

<<<<<Decides against it.

A. (Founding member of the Automatic Gearbox Appreciation Society).:lol:

AndyP & Lenore
12th January 2012, 10:32 PM
However, to give a more serious answer...

Any time I drive a manual car with one of those strange gear stick thingies in the middle... I ALWAYS start a car with the clutch in.. :yes nod:

A.:thumbs up:

Craig
12th January 2012, 10:36 PM
so do you put your clutch in when you start your car or do you leave it out ??

Some cars won't start without the clutch being depressed ;)

stoney
12th January 2012, 10:38 PM
chuckle. Chuckle. Chuckle.:smilewinkgrin::smilewinkgrin::smilewinkgr in:

<<<<<Takes deep breath and prepares an answer...

<<<<<Decides against it.

A. (Founding member of the Automatic Gearbox Appreciation Society).:lol:

go on you know you want to :lol: just cos you have a slow old mans car :lol:

stoney
12th January 2012, 10:39 PM

yep i do know that but in general !! :lol:

Neil - TXJ
12th January 2012, 10:40 PM
In. Was taught this in my driving lessons so no issues if in gear.

weefossy
12th January 2012, 10:52 PM
I'm sure our Minis wont start without the clutch engaged? But as I always leave a car in gear, I always engage the clutch before starting. Like Trigger, that's the way I was taught.

AndyP & Lenore
12th January 2012, 10:58 PM

You can get pills from the doctor if that persists. :lol:

Sorry, more OT. Promise to stop.:blush:

A.:D

rpn
12th January 2012, 10:59 PM
^^^ I'm with weefossy http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w214/rpn48/Smilies/agree.gif

stoney
12th January 2012, 11:06 PM
I allways have my clutch in as well but asked Christine and she dose not !! And she is the last person I know who passed there test :)

Stewart
12th January 2012, 11:20 PM
As I always Parked either up a drive or up a hill the cars have always been left in gear. So Clutch in has always been the case.

Mini Ecosse
13th January 2012, 06:39 AM
Clutch in

GCA3N
13th January 2012, 06:54 AM
Always on the clutch, you just never know. (aside the fact the Gen 2 's obviously wont start without doing that)

Big Gordy
13th January 2012, 08:29 AM
I must be the odd one out here then (no change there I hear you say :rolleyes:) as I'm clutch out when starting. Jump in car, turn ignition on, wiggle gearstick, start :thumbs up:

Mon the fish
13th January 2012, 09:29 AM
I was taught to start with clutch engaged, but I depress clutch when starting. Puts less strain on the starter motor, as it's not having to turn over the gearbox too. Does put a bit of strain on the crank though

Gismo
13th January 2012, 04:27 PM
I must be the odd one out here then (no change there I hear you say :rolleyes:) as I'm clutch out when starting. Jump in car, turn ignition on, wiggle gearstick, start :thumbs up:I'm with the big fella, i was taught like this too. Always thought that damage could happen to the clutch if used excessively without reason (Gen 2 R56's a point in case) Also, Me Julie's M3 was the same, had to depress the clutch before starting. So, if BMW warranty their cars for 3 years then i'd expect that my thinking, especially on newer cars must be way off.
So, not sure how i answer the poll, if i didn't have to depress the clutch i wouldn't, but, in my R56 S i had to :idunno:

ianking
14th January 2012, 12:46 PM
I have always pushed the clutch in since passing my test 10 years ago.
I was taught to do that but the habbit has very much stuck with me from working at the garage for 4 years as we parked everything in gear with the handbrake OFF as you never knew how long a car could end up sitting for and wouldnt want the handbrake to stick.