PDA

View Full Version : wizzy tech chick

MINIme:)
12th January 2012, 12:54 AM
ok so I seem to be dragging myself into the correct century what with the sat nav, phone upgrade, and now..... I have just this very evening purchased myself an ipod touch 32GB in rather fetching white.

I've been so busy chatting on here tonight that I've only just plugged it in to charge and switch it on! It is rather a thing of beauty :blink: I'm surprised how taken with it I am as I can't really be ar5ed with gadgets as long as they do what I want and don't cost the earth. I resent paying a fortune for hyped stuff so tend to avoid whatever is new!

Now I need to try and hack back into my old itunes account that I haven't used for years as I had a creative zen. The guy in the apple shop laughed when I said that, cheeky bast*&^. 'Oh I had one of them about 7 years ago'. :p Me too! but I cant afford to replace stuff all the time if it doesn't need replacing! As a protest I bought it in Currys instead. Actually that was because it was much cheaper in Currys!

So main reason for it was to use in the car :yes nod: Do I remember hearing people say I need a Y cable and should get a BMW one rather than a generic one?

Am loving the sat nav too by they way, so thanks for the help with that :thumbs up:

gauldrymini
12th January 2012, 11:15 AM
Joanna,

BMW / MINI Y cable (has a plug in for USB and AUX port) is needed. I think it is £50-60 but was a few years since I bought ours...

Andrew

N16SHP
12th January 2012, 12:00 PM
I'm not sure what kinda set up you have inside your car joanna, but my S is pretty standard inside, so I just use a cheap and cheerful AUX cable (£10) that plugs in under the main console in front of the cupholders. Obviously it doesn't charge my iPod, but in terms of being able to plug in and play my iPod, cannot complain.

ELFMAN
12th January 2012, 01:16 PM
Going over to friends' house tomorrow to try to start sorting my music from CD into my Laptop via iTunes, then the plan is to get an iPod Touch and download all my tunes into that.

I'm still carrying around CD Holders/Wallets when I go on holiday etc. My phone is the laughing stock on any NMS run, as it has buttons and just Phones and Texts, and my 'SatNav' is a Road Atlas or if I'm feeling particularly hi-tech, a printed-out Google Map...

I'm still trying to drag myself into LAST Century!

Martin c
12th January 2012, 01:18 PM
I use the BMW/Mini Y lead in mine, charges and plays music, shows tracks etc with both my i phone and the daughters i pod touch.
I'm also using one of the mounts from New Mini Stuff.

GCA3N
12th January 2012, 02:33 PM
I use the BMW/Mini Y lead in mine, charges and plays music, shows tracks etc with both my i phone and the daughters i pod touch.
I'm also using one of the mounts from New Mini Stuff.

same for me. The mini one was £40 I think.

Neil - TXJ
12th January 2012, 03:27 PM
Hi. Depends if you have a USB connector or not and also if you want to charge at the same time.

I don't have a USB so got a Dock n Drive but not sure if this is just for the iPhone but would think something similar exists for the I touch. I have a thread somewhere showing it in action which I can search for this evening if you want. I am very happy with it and also managed to hide all the cables which was something else I was keen to do.

Neil.

Gismo
12th January 2012, 04:03 PM
I was given the Y Cable by the dealer when i recently bought my All4 S Countryman.
If you have the facility in your car it's well worth the investment.

If you want, i could get a price for one over here and if it's cheap enough post it over to you, i could accept payment via PayPal?

12th January 2012, 08:03 PM
Thanks everyone. my car is R56 LCI, without a media pack, so the newest standard stuff - it has a USB port.

A cradle hadn't even occurred to me. Would be grateful for a link to yours on newministuff if it's tidy, affordable and good.

Yes I would like to charge it up at the same time as playing if that is easily done.

As Greig said, £40 was the mini price I had in my mind from somewhere. If it was significantly cheaper in US might be worth sending but unless a decent saving, not worth your trouble Alan.

Martin c
12th January 2012, 09:13 PM
I use the no holes mount http://www.newministuff.com/new/shop.php?action=productshow&id=582

And a i phone cradle, there are a number of different ones to choose from which would suit your i pod touch http://www.newministuff.com/new/shop.php?action=products&cat=31

I'll go and take a pic for you

Martin c
12th January 2012, 09:34 PM
Here you go,sorry about the quality,taken with my phone lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/martinc/8b5280fd.jpg

And the USB/Aux port in the car for the Y lead

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/martinc/5b5590cf.jpg

weefossy
12th January 2012, 10:18 PM
Still using my Creative Zen as I find it easier to use and I can't stand having "I Tunes" on my big computer; it is so domineering for anything else you want to do musically. It takes over and they are always trying to sell something......not for me.
When on the move, the Zen works great in the beast, with easy control from the Joystick thingy!!

12th January 2012, 10:20 PM
thanks all, that's really helpful. :thumbs up:

my wee zen machine is caput unfortunately. The ipod touch was chosen as replacement as it gives me the tech that normal people have as extras on their fancy phones with a decent screen size, wifi etc.

Neil - TXJ
12th January 2012, 10:24 PM
See post 86 of my gallery thread. This is for a iPhone but should give you an idea.

http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?21517-Trigger-s-Chilli-Red-R56-MCS&highlight=

Stewart
12th January 2012, 10:35 PM
Same as My I-phone holder!
http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/sav112g/Iphone1.jpg
http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq72/sav112g/Iphone3.jpg

If I had the USB I'd be just using the ipod for tunes but my car missed that by a month before it went standard :ragin:

12th January 2012, 11:05 PM
I like the look of that dock n drive thingy Trigger! Presumably that removes the need for a Y cable. Will look it up. You won't catch me pulling bits off my dash but I am sure I can find someone to help me with it. I am not at all concerned with needing to sync up a phone as I don't agree with their use while driving.

Stewart is that a mini app on your phone?

Wow I am so out of touch... :frown: but it's really exciting that I'll shortly have all this working :excited:

Stewart
12th January 2012, 11:15 PM
There actually is a Mini App called Mini connected but that’s a whole other ball game and does everything. But that’s just a wallpaper made up for the phone on my one. You never seen my Sat-Nav start up it has the same wallpaper instead of coming up TomTom it comes up with the “Mini Badge”

:blush:

"I'll get ma Coat!"

12th January 2012, 11:19 PM
:lol: MINI SADDO!!!

Stewart
12th January 2012, 11:22 PM
Yeah even got the T-Shirt.....:smilewinkgrin:

Neil - TXJ
12th January 2012, 11:30 PM
I like the look of that dock n drive thingy Trigger! Presumably that removes the need for a Y cable. Will look it up. You won't catch me pulling bits off my dash but I am sure I can find someone to help me with it. I am not at all concerned with needing to sync up a phone as I don't agree with their use while driving.

Stewart is that a mini app on your phone?

Wow I am so out of touch... :frown: but it's really exciting that I'll shortly have all this working :excited:

Don't use the phone but listen to podcasts almost everyday.

N16SHP
13th January 2012, 09:48 AM
By the looks of things, because your car is USB ready then it's a no brainer especially if you want to charge while driving.

Stewart - I'm also sad like you so we can leave together :thumbs up:

13th January 2012, 10:28 AM
was that dock n drive wireless? haven't had a chance to have a proper look. And I really must go to work! :hand:

Neil - TXJ
13th January 2012, 01:01 PM
was that dock n drive wireless? haven't had a chance to have a proper look. And I really must go to work! :hand:

No - 2 cables, one to the aux and one to the cigarette lighter but I got an adapter so I could connect power under the trim and I also put the other cables behind the trim which gives a very neat finish. The Dock n Drive is however specifically for the iPhone so not sure the touch would fit and you would also be paying for something you don't need, i.e. handsfree for the phone.

By the way, have you looked if you can get a sat nav app for the i-touch as I think you were looking for a standalone sat nab. I am thinking of buying the TomTom app for the phone as it would be a neat solution for me as I already have the doc and power.

ianking
13th January 2012, 01:38 PM
I would just get the Y lead from your local bmw/mini dealer. Its the right thing for the job for your car and allows you to have all the song names etc on the radio screen and will allow you to change songs/albums from the radio screen or steering wheel if you have multi function. I think the retail is £40.

GCA3N
13th January 2012, 01:44 PM
:lol: MINI SADDO!!!

:laugh:

rpn
13th January 2012, 02:21 PM
I got one of this http://www.amazon.co.uk/iPhone-Adapter-iDrive-Interface-suitable/dp/B004E5J61G/ref=pd_ys_iyr6 last June and it works exactly like the OME as describle by Ian and cheaper too.

Stewart
13th January 2012, 02:47 PM
That looks just the Job RPN, does it fire up the tracks on the computer as well?

13th January 2012, 03:11 PM
No - 2 cables, one to the aux and one to the cigarette lighter but I got an adapter so I could connect power under the trim and I also put the other cables behind the trim which gives a very neat finish. The Dock n Drive is however specifically for the iPhone so not sure the touch would fit and you would also be paying for something you don't need, i.e. handsfree for the phone.

By the way, have you looked if you can get a sat nav app for the i-touch as I think you were looking for a standalone sat nab. I am thinking of buying the TomTom app for the phone as it would be a neat solution for me as I already have the doc and power.

this needs a bit of thinking about! all very clever, just to choose!

Already got my tomtom. My lovely mum bought it for my christmas, I got a TomTom Start 20, wghich is the newer version of the XL QI 2 from what I could gather. As all have QI routes now they've dropped that bit of the name. Only £105 in John Lewis. Love it, it's ace!

Neil - TXJ
13th January 2012, 03:18 PM
As others have said, the Y cable, or equivalent, is far the easiest solution it was only because i don't have a USB that i went the Doc n Drive route, either way it is great being able to play your tunes through the standard speakers

Martin c
13th January 2012, 04:34 PM
I use the sat nav on my I phone (nav-free) yup a free app with all the updates, I'm sure it will also work on the I pod touch, it uses the in-built gps and the updates are free, bit late now though that you already have a sat-nav lol

Martin c
13th January 2012, 04:41 PM
Here's a screen shot from my phone
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/martinc/1dffa599.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/martinc/a8f9cd34.jpg

13th January 2012, 10:13 PM
very happy with my sat nav thanks.

Martin c
14th January 2012, 09:53 AM
Sorry I meant to say that a proper sat-nav like what you now have will definately be better and easier to use, the free one for your I pod touch is a great backup if you get caught out without it.

Spacecadetrik
16th January 2012, 01:51 AM
Sorry I meant to say that a proper sat-nav like what you now have will definately be better and easier to use, the free one for your I pod touch is a great backup if you get caught out without it.

Martin, I have a good TomTom satnav but tested out NavFree a while back and was very impressed. Have used it a few times on different routes to see how good it is and it has been spot on every time. Haven't tested out speed camera pack for it, but for a couple of quid might try it.

All in a very good option if you want a cheap satnav.

16th January 2012, 08:00 AM
the sat nav thread was a month ago, you're peaking too late :lol:

and everyone on there told me to get a tomtom. So I did.

GCA3N
16th January 2012, 01:22 PM
the sat nav thread was a month ago, you're peaking too late :lol:

and everyone on there told me to get a tomtom. So I did.

Exactly.....you tell em Jo.