PDA

View Full Version : What format ?

lamdacore
12th January 2012, 12:21 AM
Hey,

Are people playing mostly on PC? Xbox? PS3? Wii? or mainly mobile / casual?

I'm mainly on PC and XBOX, although quite taken by OnLive.

I would buy a Ps3 but would rather take an arrow to the knee. (jk)

bullet
12th January 2012, 12:41 AM
ouch an arrow to the knee over a ps3?:huh:,im mainly on x box and ps3,plenty of games and online opponents are the consoles appeal to me plus they are relatively cheap compared to a pc.:blink:

lamdacore
12th January 2012, 12:44 AM
not literally, was a skyrim reference, I went off sony's a while ago, dont know why though as it makes more sense to buy a ps3 now than an xbox, particulary if you're into home cinema as I believe the bluray player in the ps3 is quite powerful.

consoles are cheaper than consoles, for sure, but pc's are always evolving. I guess each to their own. I think the gaming industry has had a huge boom given the recessions, which means better games and in turn better consoles / graphics cards.

bullet
12th January 2012, 01:13 AM
the new consoles though such as the ps3 are constantly updating themselves with the latest technology through firmware updates,and yes the blu ray player is superb and will play 3d blu rays if you have a 3d telly too,rumours are that the replacement for the xbox 360 and the ps3 are gettin announced in the summer.

Gismo
12th January 2012, 01:14 AM
it makes more sense to buy a ps3 now than an xbox, particulary if you're into home cinema as I believe the bluray player in the ps3 is quite powerful.I wouldn't use the PS3 for blu ray use on a home cinema, very buggy and it's difficult to navigate the menu's even witht he Sony remote.
PS3 for me all the way as are most folks on here

AndyP & Lenore
12th January 2012, 01:16 AM
pc's are always evolving....

And that's why I changed to PS3 the day it was launched in the UK. I got absolutely fed up of buying a new graphics card for £100 only to find the next game I want required an even more powerful one, then I needed a new PC because the one I bought two years ago wouldn't run the new graphics card required to run the new game, yada yada yada.

PS3 All the way for me. Love it. It's like an Apple - IT JUST WORKS. :smilewinkgrin:

Edit: I agree with Alan (Gismo), I have a dedicated Blu Ray player as the player in the PS3 is noisy as hell.

A.:thumbs up:

bullet
12th January 2012, 01:26 AM
havent had any issues with blu ray noise,the older model may have been a bit noisier but the slimline seems fine,for me anyway,ive got it hooked up to 5 speaker amp in my living room,playing games and watchin blu rays while the floors shakin underneath you is something else,:explode:

euan
12th January 2012, 11:48 AM
I buried the PS3 in a cupboard so I can't hear it - the joy of a bluetooth controller :-)

Also have a Wii but that's not been used in a year.

Gismo
12th January 2012, 04:06 PM
ive got it hooked up to 5 speaker amp in my living room,playing games and watchin blu rays while the floors shakin underneath you is something else,:explode:
Off topic, but, if you compare a dedicated blu ray player to the PS3 you'd get better results, however, it's all down to personal preferences and room condition and positioning

bullet
12th January 2012, 06:12 PM
Off topic, but, if you compare a dedicated blu ray player to the PS3 you'd get better results, however, it's all down to personal preferences and room condition and positioning

really? will agree to disagree,i have the latest panasanonic 3d blu ray player as a backup and its no better in clarity or sound quality,the ps3 has come top 3 in choice of blu ray players for the passed two years against all top brands and thats by customer votes but as you say its all down to personal preference.each to there own.:smilewinkgrin:

lamdacore
12th January 2012, 07:13 PM
hmmm, i'll maybe need to get into home cinema a bit more, well more audio clarity for games and movies on my pc. always quite fancied a nice system, I know richer sounds have some good deals from time to time :)

So, do all the ps3 users here have a steam account ?

stoney
12th January 2012, 07:21 PM
i have PS3 and use it as a blueray player and have no prob with it at all

Gismo
12th January 2012, 07:25 PM
Not going to argue system against system, the money I spend on audio equipment is way too much, suffice to say my amp is easily over £5k, that's where you notice the difference

AndyP & Lenore
12th January 2012, 09:57 PM
My PS3 was bought on launch day in the UK. So, I'm sure they've improved the cooling systems since then. But I stand by what I said my PS3 is noisy as hell when playing.... anything really. Games, Blu Ray discs, doesn't matter. Lets just say if White Star Line had fitted the cooling fan in my PS3 as the reversing propeller on Titanic history would have been very different.:thud:

I'm sure it's cracking for picture and sound quality, although I simply can not see how a PS3 blu ray player can beat a dedicated player which is part of a balanced and matched system. :idunno:

A.

stoney
12th January 2012, 10:04 PM
I don't know as don't have any other blue ray player at the moment

bullet
12th January 2012, 11:40 PM
the launch ps3 (the fat one)had an inherrent overheating fault which resulted in a lot of failures due to overworked fans trying to cool the machine,some became very noisy this may be your problem,the replacement for it (the slimline)had a much quieter fan and better ventilation,the same can be said of the slim new 360,it was updated with quieter motors installed,the old 360 was really noisy,still got mine and half the time it sounds like its scratching a disc when loading.the advantage of having a ps3 blu ray is its always updating itself with the latest technology on the market,if you buy just the player then you are stuck with what you have,it wont be able to update itself so in several months could be out of date.

Gismo
13th January 2012, 12:35 AM
I agree that a PS3 can play blu ray's ok, where the difference comes is the amp and a fairly decent blu ray player have all the internal goodies that enhances video and audio signals