PDA

View Full Version : Raikkonen back in f1

bullet
11th January 2012, 12:21 AM
WITH THE NEWS THAT RAIKKONENS BACK IN F1 IM NOT EXACTLY BLOWN AWAY,SURE HES A FORMER WORLD CHAMPION BUT HES ALWAYS SEEMED VERY INCONSISTENT AND WOULD EVEN SAY UNINTERESTED.HIS RELATIONSHIP WITH THE MEDIA WAS POOR AND ALWAYS CAME ACROSS AS A RIGHT WEE SOOR PUS THAT NEVER CRACKED A SMILE,MAYBE HIS 2YRS IN RALLYING HAS GIVEN HIM HIS MOJO BACK,TIME WILL TELL.WITH LOTUS HES GOING TO HAVE TO BE AT HIS BEST TO TRY AND GET RESULTS. :unsure:

zimbo
11th January 2012, 09:42 AM
Whats even worse than this news is that I remember seeing at the end of last season that the BBC is only showing some live races and not all of them as they have done previously (only half if I remember correctly!!!) So WTF is all that about, I'm not a happy F1 fan :ragin: so now where am I going to see these races other than the BBC because I dont have SKT TV or anything... :argh:

To keep on topic (sorry) I think Kimi should have just stayed away from F1, never really liked him before and dont think he will have changed since leaving in the first place.

N16SHP
11th January 2012, 10:11 AM
Whats even worse than this news is that I remember seeing at the end of last season that the BBC is only showing some live races and not all of them as they have done previously (only half if I remember correctly!!!) So WTF is all that about, I'm not a happy F1 fan :ragin: so now where am I going to see these races other than the BBC because I dont have SKT TV or anything... :argh:

To keep on topic (sorry) I think Kimi should have just stayed away from F1, never really liked him before and dont think he will have changed since leaving in the first place.

The 'Beeb' will be showing 90 minute highlights of every race at 6pm on race day, but apart from streaming it from the internet Sky Sports is the only place you'll be able to see it.

Also back on topic, I've never been a massive Kimi fan, even when he drove for McLaren, but to have yet another world champion in the field just adds to the excitement we've had over the past two years. I do hope though that the other teams can compete on a more regular basis with Red Bull to make it even more exciting.

euan
11th January 2012, 10:12 AM

He found out rallying cost more money than he thought it would - he's coming back for the money apparently.

I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt. Look at how Schumacher has changed, he comes across much better now as he has mellowed with age, he's hoping Kimi has done the same.

bullet
11th January 2012, 04:50 PM
oops just noticed this topic isnt in the f1 thread,:blush:.i certainly hope theres a challenge to the red bulls this year as the races did become very lacklustre and more of a vettel procession,as for kimi time will tell if hes made the right move.we might even get a smile from him this year.:smilewinkgrin:

euan
11th January 2012, 05:20 PM
I listened to the 5live season review podcast last night, they're all quite positive that it could be interesting next year due to the new regs banning blown diffuser and clever throttle maps. However, on autosport there is stuff about Lotus running variable ride hide via a pedal to improve cornering balance, and there is other stuff around new suspension parts which Lotus have put a patent on. They were all running different exhausts in the young drivers test as well, many of them pointing at the max angle onto the top of the rear wing, so they're all still going to using exhaust gases in one way or another.

N16SHP
11th January 2012, 06:30 PM
I listened to the 5live season review podcast last night, they're all quite positive that it could be interesting next year due to the new regs banning blown diffuser and clever throttle maps. However, on autosport there is stuff about Lotus running variable ride hide via a pedal to improve cornering balance, and there is other stuff around new suspension parts which Lotus have put a patent on. They were all running different exhausts in the young drivers test as well, many of them pointing at the max angle onto the top of the rear wing, so they're all still going to using exhaust gases in one way or another.

Great points there Euan. I suppose with F1, there is always going to be someone who has the upper hand and thinking of something new. I can very vaguely remember the Williams from the early 90's that eventually got banned because it has driver aids and active suspension and I suppose the blown diffusers that RB uses is similar to the advances the Williams made in the 90's.

Gismo
12th January 2012, 01:17 AM
oops just noticed this topic isnt in the f1 thread,:blush:It is now :thumbs up:

euan
12th January 2012, 11:45 AM
Great points there Euan. I suppose with F1, there is always going to be someone who has the upper hand and thinking of something new. I can very vaguely remember the Williams from the early 90's that eventually got banned because it has driver aids and active suspension and I suppose the blown diffusers that RB uses is similar to the advances the Williams made in the 90's.

They banned that car the year Senna went to Williams, 94, though you could arguably say had Senna not been killed Williams would have won the World Championship that year as well in the new car as Williams won the Constructors and Hill lost the championship by a point.

F1 is an arms race, whoever has the latest innovation gains the advantage. Lotus/Renault had a good car at the start of last season with the forward exhaust and you'd have fancied Kubica to do more with it than they did, but with Kimi they have a driver who can actually drive the car and is known to be fast. Interesting times anyway.

bullet
19th January 2012, 03:19 AM
bit off topic but was wondering peoples opinions to senna racing for williams this year,it will be interesting to see another senna within the team though it has to be said williams are not the force of old,heres hoping they can score regular points and the senna,maldonado partnership can set williams on the road to recovery.:unsure:

stoney
19th January 2012, 08:56 AM
bit off topic but was wondering peoples opinions to senna racing for williams this year,it will be interesting to see another senna within the team though it has to be said williams are not the force of old,heres hoping they can score regular points and the senna,maldonado partnership can set williams on the road to recovery.:unsure:

i think it good news and hope they do well would be good to see them come back up the ranks again but i do think it will be a lot for bruno senna to take !!

baptie
19th January 2012, 09:14 AM
I was kinda gutted to see barrachello go but he wasn't pulling results out the bag as he should have.

euan
19th January 2012, 10:36 AM
Rubens had apparently fallen out with the engineers at Williams so it was performance and relationships that were the issue there.

I hope Senna makes a good job of it. He's never had a full season in an F1 team and not had the build up and input into the car before, so I really hope he can do the job. He tested a few years ago for Honda when Brawn was there, and was very close to Buttons his lap times with no experience in the car, and beat Rubens laptime. the fact that he takes millions in sponsorship from Brazil won't have done his chances any harm.

The other aspect here I've struggled with is that Sennas time at Williams wasn't a happy one. I'm slightly uncomfortable that he's saying he wants to bring back the memories of that time - I don't particularly want to do that. His time at McLaren - by all means. Lotus - yup, fine with that. Williams though...

Mini Ecosse
19th January 2012, 12:20 PM
Rubens had apparently fallen out with the engineers at Williams so it was performance and relationships that were the issue there.

I hope Senna makes a good job of it. He's never had a full season in an F1 team and not had the build up and input into the car before, so I really hope he can do the job. He tested a few years ago for Honda when Brawn was there, and was very close to Buttons his lap times with no experience in the car, and beat Rubens laptime. the fact that he takes millions in sponsorship from Brazil won't have done his chances any harm.

The other aspect here I've struggled with is that Sennas time at Williams wasn't a happy one. I'm slightly uncomfortable that he's saying he wants to bring back the memories of that time - I don't particularly want to do that. His time at McLaren - by all means. Lotus - yup, fine with that. Williams though...

You have hit the nail on the head with with comment re money