PDA

View Full Version : New Black Trim - best product to use initially?

KenL
10th January 2012, 09:50 PM
Hi Again,

What product would you recommend to put onto new black trim on the MINI to help protect it from the start and make maintenance easier?

I have a plethora of products and have never found any particularly successful. They either take forever to work in (apart from the 303 Aerospace stuff) and can give inconsistent results or be a bit gloopy!

Perhaps it is my fault but can anyone recommend something that is easy to use and does the business?

Ta :yes nod:

GCA3N
10th January 2012, 10:10 PM
Nothing ken. I never used anything on my trim for the first year. Keep waxes and polishes away from it just wash mate. That's what I do anyway.

Btw once ever 3 months or so now I use autosmart trim ultra.

KenL
10th January 2012, 10:13 PM
Nothing ken. I never used anything on my trim for the first year. Keep waxes and polishes away from it just wash mate. That's what I do anyway.

Btw once ever 3 months or so now I use autosmart trim ultra.

Using nothing sounds like a good call! The R56 trim is a lot better than on my 2002 R50 MINI. Will check out Autosmart Trim Ultra, thanks.

AndyP & Lenore
10th January 2012, 10:29 PM
I asked a similar question of Ian (King of shine) King a few days ago and he recommended Chemical Guys Trim Gel. So, I promptly ordered a bottle of it and it arrived today. I'll be using it on the Blue MINI on Thursday or Friday - weather permitting - so I'll let you know how I get on.:thumbs up:

Of course, while on their site, I couldn't help clicking the "add to basket" button on a bunch of other stuff and before you know it a £10 bottle of trim gel becomes a £50 box of goodies. :thud:

A.:D

GCA3N
10th January 2012, 10:56 PM
Andy cg's trim gel is quite good I used that for about a year until I discovered trim ultra. I found the cg's stuff hard to go on, and it got dirty quickly.

MINIme:)
10th January 2012, 11:29 PM
I have to say I know nothing about products but I know that even I NOTICED Greig's trims at the weekend (I don't normally notice these things, I'm busy looking at the coloured bit) and exclaimed with great enthusiasm - "ooooh those black trims look amazing!" ...if that is any sort of recommendation ;)

GCA3N
10th January 2012, 11:30 PM
I have to say I know nothing about products but I know that even I NOTICED Greig's trims at the weekend (I don't normally notice these things, I'm busy looking at the coloured bit) and exclaimed with great enthusiasm - "ooooh those black trims look amazing!" ...if that is any sort of recommendation ;)

:thumbs up:

Mon the fish
11th January 2012, 09:20 AM
Dodo Juice gloss trim sealant. I put this on once a year, and my 7 year old trim looks great - it beads like a wax.

Spend the time putting this on correctly, and you never need to touch it again for a year.

EcosseGP
11th January 2012, 10:34 AM
I would say the secret with any trim gel is to apply it to properly cleaned trim .. I've tried a number of products all with varying success but at the mo Maxolen Blue Star A-Z is superb. Can be used for everything (interior/exterior) trims, tyres, engine bay but takes a bit of getting used to for proper results but one things for sure it lasts well.

At 8000rpm no one hears you scream

Mon the fish
11th January 2012, 02:40 PM
^^ prep is the key - before I seal mine, I clean it with a washing-up liquid solution, and then white spirit

Tam1314
17th August 2012, 09:57 AM
Auto Finesse Trim Detail at a price of £7 from Polished Bliss in Kintore

Easy as pie to apply