PDA

View Full Version : Brake Dusts Spots on Wheels

KenL
10th January 2012, 09:47 PM
Hi Folks,

With my new Cooper arriving soon does anyone have any advice on how to prevent those pesky spots of brake dust from taking hold?

I have the Poorboys wheel sealant which I used on my Cooper S when it was newer. To be honest, I think it is pretty useless - anyone else agree?

So, what would you suggest? Will any wax/sealant prevent this from sticking in the first place?

If/when I do get bits baked on, what would you recommend to remove them safely? I have tried (and still have) Bilberry wheel cleaner, a clay bar and Tardis Tar & Glue remover. Some of these have some success, but I think it is mainly finger breaking pressure that shifts it eventually.

So, is there some magic formula you would recommend?

GCA3N
10th January 2012, 10:12 PM
Ken I use poor boys and found it excellent the absolute best thing to do is clean then regularly. Never had issues with this but I do wash my car a lot :0)

KenL
10th January 2012, 10:14 PM
Ken I use poor boys and found it excellent the absolute best thing to do is clean then regularly. Never had issues with this but I do wash my car a lot :0)

Agreed, but even washing my S every week does not stop it happening. I do ~13k miles per year though.

GCA3N
10th January 2012, 10:57 PM
Get a good coat of that poor boys on then coat in a good wax. Collinite 476 is brilliant.

Stewart
11th January 2012, 01:34 AM
I had brake dust caked in and nothing would shift it, I wish I had the were with all and jack to remove the wheels and protect but don’t. So I could only ever get my Alloys clean but never what you’d say spotless.

I got that Wolf’s brake duster and “Wow” it says it can be left on for hours but I just left it about 30 min’s. You could see it going from clear to purple removing the Iron. Jet wash later spotless, and marks that had been on the car from day one gone!

I see your going through a list of things to get.

To remove Tar get Autosmart Tardis- nothing comes close to it. :thumbs up:

GCA3N
11th January 2012, 08:44 AM
I had brake dust caked in and nothing would shift it, I wish I had the were with all and jack to remove the wheels and protect but don’t. So I could only ever get my Alloys clean but never what you’d say spotless.

I got that Wolf’s brake duster and “Wow” it says it can be left on for hours but I just left it about 30 min’s. You could see it going from clear to purple removing the Iron. Jet wash later spotless, and marks that had been on the car from day one gone!

:thumbs up:

N16SHP
11th January 2012, 10:18 AM

That's pretty interesting about the Wolf's stuff. I was speaking to the dude from Polished Bliss about that back in November, and he recommended it to me, but at the time I couldn't justify the price, although knowing that it shifts baked on dust, I may just have to invest.

Craig
11th January 2012, 12:07 PM
That's pretty interesting about the Wolf's stuff. I was speaking to the dude from Polished Bliss about that back in November, and he recommended it to me, but at the time I couldn't justify the price, although knowing that it shifts baked on dust, I may just have to invest.

I have some in my cupboard of plenty and haven't had need to use it yet as my smart wheels seems to clean everything I have thrown at it ;) plus my wheels normally don't get that bad between washes :blush:

Stewart
11th January 2012, 12:09 PM
Honest Neil if it leaves anything, then its not brake dust and must be tar.

I’m not a fan of recommending stuff but out of all the stuff I’ve tried Tardis and the Wolf’s stuff simply do what they say they do with no fuss.