PDA

View Full Version : First wash advice

Glorious
10th January 2012, 02:47 PM
Hi,

I'll be giving the wee man (http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?22934-Pre-Reg-deal/page3) his first bath this weekend and as I don't yet have a foam lance I'll be using the Turtle Wax (basic) car shampoo that I've been using on my cars for years after a good PW.

Used the 2 bucket method for the first time last weekend on my nearly 2yo black Toyota Verso and noticed the car looked better. I'm also using a new micro fibre "noodle" mitt and loads of MF cloths for drying.

I will be buying the AutoBrite lance when I get paid, but really need to wash the Mini this week - the alloys are clinging though and I wanted to ask if, being that they are only a month old, should I just get stuck in with PW/elbow grease or can I also use something like AG Clean Wheels as well? Only asking as not sure if such products are best avoided on new alloys?

Also, I've read on here about protecting/sealing black roofs - any recommendations for what to use?

Sorry if these are totally stupid questions (tin hat on) - I just know there's a lot of experts on here and I really want to look after this car.
Any advice is appreciated!
Thanks!

:thumbs up:

Craig
10th January 2012, 02:55 PM
Cleaning wheels - best not to use an acidic cleaner. I use autosmart smart wheels which is very good (their new formula is even better !)

For waxing I use collinite 476s as its easy to use, well priced and lasts for ages. Polish I use AG SRP which is the best hand polish IMHO . After polishing and before waxing for added bling I add CG Blacklight :yes nod:

Once you have got your foam lance it will help loads ;)

N16SHP
10th January 2012, 03:18 PM
I think it's all personal choice when it comes to cleaning products, everyone has their favourites and one they are not so keen on. Some products are designed with car colours in mind so that's always worth keeping in mind. As per your wheels, I've been using Bilberry Wheel cleaner and find its fantastic even when diluted down and smells nice too :)

Glorious
10th January 2012, 03:34 PM
Thanks a lot guys - I'll give some of these a try.
Cheers.

Stewart
11th January 2012, 01:55 AM
a plus +1 on the Bilberry Wheel cleaner and get one of those cheap wee brushes it makes it so much less hassle.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels-and-tyres/1-inch-round-wheel-and-detail-brush/prod_524.html

What I do is do the wheels first, quick going over with the jetwash then Bilberry and go round with the brush then rinse. I don't like leaving product on too long, some spray the wheels and go on and wash the car, I just think its better spending the time doing the wheels right them doing the rest of the car. Stops you running about trying to get the wheels done as the foam dry's on the rest of the car.

Mon the fish
11th January 2012, 09:24 AM
I wouldn't use a polish on it - wash it, then take Tardis to it to remove transit wax, then seal seal seal with a good wax

Glorious
11th January 2012, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the advice chaps. :thumbs up: