PDA

View Full Version : IS THIS GEEKY AND SAD??

sleepyrascal
4th August 2004, 06:17 AM
Ok, so you need to dig deep into your soul and drag out all your honesty here. Have you told someone that you have gone to a mini meet, or met up with other mini drivers, or something similar, and been laughed at, called sad, geeky, or wierd, or all of them?

I don't really get it. Why do people think it's sad? Envious perhaps??:approve:

ny152
4th August 2004, 06:32 AM
Oh yes, all the time :I.

Tricia's (mrs Goldmini) sister and daughter are the worst. But thats just jealousy showing through...

It's not that we're weird, or strange. Just special :p.

Sheilz
4th August 2004, 09:38 AM
I get slagged and taken the mick off all the time at home and at work. Its all pretty good natured so I dont mind anyway I give as good as I get. The best thing is not to take it seriously.
:D:D:D

Julz
4th August 2004, 03:58 PM
I've had folk thinking I'm a bit bizarre, but that's another story!! When they comment on me going on a mini adventure and call me sad, I just show them one of Calums vids, spesh last years Cullen (haven't downloaded this years yet:sleepy:) and then they all go 'hey, that looks like fun':D:D

Big Col
4th August 2004, 04:10 PM
quote:Originally posted by Julz

I've had folk thinking I'm a bit bizarre,

<Holds hand up> ;)

Wul
4th August 2004, 04:55 PM
Even though i've been to very few runs (waits for torrent of abuse!) i get pelters for it still!

Over my lunchtimes the last week i've been cleaning the inside and outside of the MINI and at work they think i'm nuts!

No change there then! :D

Big Col
4th August 2004, 04:56 PM
Ok. Wul doesn't think it's Geeky and Sad. That means it's clearly Geeky and Sad! ;)

Duncan Stewart
4th August 2004, 05:00 PM
My other hobby is railway photography so I'm used to people taking the p*iss :eek: :blackeye: :mad: :evil: :I
I have one answer - I don't care :p :D

Scottie
4th August 2004, 05:01 PM
Well I have only been on one run with newminiscotland but I have been into mini's old and new and 4x4's since I could drive 1980. I don't get slag but then most people who know me are used to me by now.

Infact most friends were interested to know how I got on.

Monsta Mo Mini
4th August 2004, 05:18 PM
All I say is don't knock it 'till you've tried it! I thought it would be a bit geeky at first but my first run was the Cullen Run 2002 and I've never looked back!

Would the detractors say the same thing about a group of bikers...(especially big hairy scarey types)? ...it's the same idea!

The people who knock it would probably never join a club or any other oraganisation that is likely to broaden their personal horizons and are quite happy to live their lives in ignorant bliss. Just smile at them safe in the knowledge that you know you're right. What i've found recently is they find it funny until you tell them there were 50 other cars and over 100 people on the last run...they tend to sit up and take notice then!

The one I don't get is where 22 blokes go out into a field and chase a wee ball around for 90 minutes....pointless or what!;):)

Big Col
4th August 2004, 05:20 PM
quote:Originally posted by Monsta Mo Mini
The one I don't get is where 22 blokes go out into a field and chase a wee ball around for 90 minutes....pointless or what!;):)

I totally agree with you on that one!

dj_tigger1982
4th August 2004, 05:49 PM
I get the crap taken out me all the time buy my family and my girlfriend for going to Mini Events and meet up's

It's the same with my m8's or people you talk to and it's when you tell them there is a whole Mini Community out there, and your part of it. You can see there face change and they think to themselfs.. Oh My God this person is a loner who is sad....

BUT WHO CARES... MINI'S ROCK

Burple
4th August 2004, 06:16 PM
Oh yeah... all the time...

But these guys have never done a Cullen Run, or a Skye run, or an IMM, or a Mini only track day, or had the whole rush of having 50 cars in the same convoy of them, stopping whole *TOWNS* in their tracks, all in the same frame of mind and up for a laugh have they?!?!?

Just ask Lynsey (checkgirl)... she used to take the piss all the time... until she saw the light and bought a Mini...now look at her!
CAn't kep her away from all the runs now!! :D:D:D:D

They can think it's sad and geeky all they want..what have they done with their sad little lives all weekend while we've been out terrorising the country and meeting lots more mental people? Probably sat at home watching mind numbing TV of the worst imaginable kind, lapping up the media whores on 'reality' tv, and being brainwashed by Soaps...getting lazier and fatter stuffing their faces with crisps and drooling on themselves...

Ahem... sorry..
/Rant off

Bring on the next run!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Fontal
4th August 2004, 06:31 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col

I totally agree with you on that one!

There is only one thing worse than this.....

70,000 going to watch it:D:D:D

Fontal
4th August 2004, 06:34 PM
My mates used to pull the piss untill they were in Aberdeen when the Italian job run was on and they saw all the cars on union street :D:D

Scottie
4th August 2004, 06:34 PM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1

They can think it's sad and geeky all they want..what have they done with their sad little lives all weekend while we've been out terrorising the country and meeting lots more mental people? Probably sat at home watching mind numbing TV of the worst imaginable kind, lapping up the media whores on 'reality' tv, and being brainwashed by Soaps...getting lazier and fatter stuffing their faces with crisps and drooling on themselves...:disapprove:

Well that about sums me up then. I love the soaps 'reality' tv is great love bad lads army, hell's kitchen but not big brother.
Crips and dips are great. Lazier no fatter yes.:approve:

Oh well never mind it takes all kinds.:kiss:

broken_brian
4th August 2004, 07:14 PM
yup get slagged by the non car driving ppl at work
i also was slagged for going to a mini convention? (imm in austria)

i would like to see them drive for just under 2000 miles round trip to austria chasing a one litre mini at 90 mph:eek: on the german autobahns

we even got into the fast lane :cool::cool:

Julz
4th August 2004, 07:20 PM
quote:Originally posted by broken_brian
we even got into the fast lane :cool::cool:

Sorry Brian, that was actually the slow lane, remember they drive on the other side of the road over there!!:clown:

Gismo
4th August 2004, 07:24 PM
My first ever meet was Calum's run in 2002, i wondered what i was letting myself in for and thought it all a bit nerdy etc.
Since that day i've made loads of new friends who share the same passion as myself, my non mini friends teased me at the start but now can't wait for me to return from yet another trip and share the banter :)

Smurf
4th August 2004, 08:14 PM
Yip, p**s taken out of me regularly. I have a guy at work who tells me to 'get out more', and loads more who smirk after asking me if I'd had a good weekend, when the answer is 'brilliant, went out with the mini club...."

Ask them what they've done, and it's usually not much.

Each to their own, I don't diss them for busting a gut walking up hills just to come back down again......

Don't knock it till you've tried it! I agree with most the comments above, no need to repeat them.

sleepyrascal
4th August 2004, 09:13 PM
Your all right!!! The strange thing is, all these people who think it is sad, seem to want to know everything about it.

KAH
4th August 2004, 09:22 PM
i get slagged of....but then you show them the photo's and they think it's looks awesome....which it is!!!!

it's no different from any other hobby..so whats the problem?

minidriver#1
5th August 2004, 12:14 AM
quote:Originally posted by sleepyrascal

Ok, so you need to dig deep into your soul and drag out all your honesty here. Have you told someone that you have gone to a mini meet, or met up with other mini drivers, or something similar, and been laughed at, called sad, geeky, or wierd, or all of them?

geek!

The Dogfather
5th August 2004, 12:22 AM
No,MINI owners clubs aren't geeky or sad........ after all the car is pretty cool

But a Skoda owners club..............................Freaks!!!!!

sleepyrascal
5th August 2004, 01:18 AM
quote:Originally posted by KJ_innit

geek!

Would this be you calling me a geek KJ?

broken_brian
5th August 2004, 02:18 AM
quote:Originally posted by bad dog mini

No,MINI owners clubs aren't geeky or sad........ after all the car is pretty cool

But a Skoda owners club..............................Freaks!!!!!

or seat owners club :p:blackeye::blackeye::p

hee hee

phantom
5th August 2004, 02:51 AM
Get slagged all the time, but who cares, great drives, great pals and great times:D:D:D

The Dogfather
5th August 2004, 03:05 AM
Seat now that's just a wannabe Audi!

Heather
5th August 2004, 03:47 AM
People at work think im weird. No change there.:DSome folk are just not into cars. Nudists....now they ARE weird;)

Nenah
5th August 2004, 08:41 AM
quote:Originally posted by tribalmini

People at work think im weird. No change there.:DSome folk are just not into cars. Nudists....now they ARE weird;)

OK...this is where I enter the debate...my parents are "naturists" as they like o call it rather than nudists( Yep, too much information for me too when I found out!)but this is where it gets weird...they own a mini too..does that make them double weird? :disapprove:

But back to the topic...I got very funny looks and the "oh, your not turning into one of THOSE people now?!" when i rold my mates I had signed on to the Cullen run...HONEST TO GOD! I HAD THE BEST F&^%$*& TIME EVER on that run and I have not had so much fun in a long time since moving from OZ - NOR been so enthusiastic about my mini now I am a NMS member...stuff them! If I'm geeky, square or boring to them I no longer give a rats..its only because they havent got a decent weekend story to tell that compares to the natual high I've had since joining! Roll on Blackpool run!:cool:

sleepyrascal
5th August 2004, 09:42 AM
Well, I agree totally with everything everyone has said. exept KJ! Theres always one! I am really looking forward to a good long run in the near future!

Isnt everyone a naturist in OZ! The place is full of hot women, it has to be! NENAH, tell me its true!!!!!!

I could see it getting geeky if all we did was drive up and down the beach day after day. But its not like that.

The Dogfather
5th August 2004, 04:14 PM
Nenah
Hang on a minute, it wasn't your parents in that Mini advert? You know the one were the guy gets hit by the fish by a Naturist couple in a Mini?

Heather
5th August 2004, 05:25 PM
quote:Originally posted by Nenah-M3RPM

quote:Originally posted by tribalmini

OK...this is where I enter the debate...my parents are "naturists" as they like o call it rather than nudists( Yep, too much information for me too when I found out!)but this is where it gets weird...they own a mini too..does that make them double weird? :disapprove:

At the end of the day others opinions should not matter. Its what makes you happy as a person.

Big Col
5th August 2004, 05:31 PM
I totally agree with Tribal but if they ever thwap me with a salmon the're gonna get a whuppin! :evil:

Nenah
5th August 2004, 05:39 PM

Nenah
Hang on a minute, it wasn't your parents in that Mini advert? You know the one were the guy gets hit by the fish by a Naturist couple in a Mini?

...ummm...no comment...

Sleepyrascal...I'm not going to shatter your stereotypical illusions of Australia, - yes, all Aussies are nudists and ALL women are hot, and everyone has a kangaroo instead of a dog as a pet...;)

Big Col
5th August 2004, 05:56 PM

ALL women are hot,

I KNEW it! I'm soooooo going!

The Dogfather
5th August 2004, 06:01 PM
Question, if Oz Sheilas are so hot why the banter about Ozzie blokes prefering sheep?

Big Col
5th August 2004, 06:03 PM
'cos the women are all lesbians! Duuuuh!

Nenah
5th August 2004, 07:25 PM

Question, if Oz Sheilas are so hot why the banter about Ozzie blokes prefering sheep?

I think you'll find that's NZ blokes not Aussie blokes...;)

sleepyrascal
5th August 2004, 08:22 PM
Thanks Nenah. I knew the tales were true!!! See you all in a few months, I'm off to get me some poontang OZ style!!! now wheres that thong of mine....well im not going the full monty!

Big col, the women are all lesbians that like men too! Thats what I heard! WHAT A PLACE!!!

Big Col
5th August 2004, 08:28 PM

Big col, the women are all lesbians that like men too! Thats what I heard! WHAT A PLACE!!!

I'M BUYING TICKETS!!!

Kirsty
5th August 2004, 09:46 PM
Well you all know what happened to me on my first run but I keep coming back for more!! Yeah had folks slagging me off and giggling but you're right they do want you to tell them all about it!!! I think it's great, meeting lots of new people, having a laugh and most importantly eating!!!! It's a hobby and much more fun than stamp collecting!!! YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!! Roll on the harvest run!!!!!

sleepyrascal
5th August 2004, 10:05 PM
Did you mean eating is a hobby better than stamp collecting, or mini runs?

GAJ
6th August 2004, 12:22 AM
I was scared to turn up for runs at first cos I thought everyone would be really weird. I've been on loads of runs now and have discovered that I was right!!;)

It's a right good laugh though!:)

sleepyrascal
6th August 2004, 12:31 AM
haha Gaj

monkimagic
7th August 2004, 12:05 AM
I like cos I do it, and I do it cos I like it, and thats that !!!!!!!

Kirsty
8th August 2004, 11:29 PM

Did you mean eating is a hobby better than stamp collecting, or mini runs?

Both of course!! HEE HEE!!!! :D

zimbo
9th August 2004, 01:59 AM

Totally agree Callum!!! And some of them get paid BIG money to do so, WHY????

And yes I keep getting the p*ss taken outta me bout even just having a mini + keep being told that "it's a girls car..." But I just smile back, coz I know wot fun it is to own one... :D

zimbo
9th August 2004, 02:12 AM

ALL Aussie women are hot...

Ohh YES!! right whens the next flight out to OZ, you comin Col?:p

sleepyrascal
9th August 2004, 03:19 AM
im there Zimbo

zimbo
9th August 2004, 05:19 AM
All those going to Oz :D:p:

1. Zimbo