PDA

View Full Version : Engine Won't Crank

Gismo
1st January 2012, 10:39 AM
Went to move the mini so i can get out the drive easy in the morning cause i'm off on a long trip and the engine wont crank.
Put the key in the slot, depress the clutch, press the stop start button and only the ignition comes on, the starter does not make any attempt to start the car :ragin:

Frikkin typical, first time i've actually "needed" the car and it wont start, anyone had the same issues??

Craig
1st January 2012, 12:50 PM
I take it you've checked the battery??

zimbo
1st January 2012, 12:56 PM
Did your Julie start/move the car regularly when you were away? I too would assume its like the battery doesn't have enough juice Alan I mean 4 weeks is a long to be sitting dormant.

But you've got a vast choice of transport at your disposal anyway :lol:

ajamesj
1st January 2012, 01:02 PM
Most likely the battery my boss had an X5 with all the toys and left it sitting for about a month and it would not start. BMW were called out and said the battery had drained with sitting about. Get it off the car on a charger over night and your Mini will fighting fit in no time.

AndyP & Lenore
1st January 2012, 01:03 PM
Has the frost got to the battery? Oh. Wait....

Fuse for starter motor blow? If the starter motor has uts own fuse.

A.

Gismo
1st January 2012, 02:25 PM
Julie always starts ghe car at least once a week, Car has always started and was running the day before.
It's defo not the battery

Stewart
1st January 2012, 08:37 PM
Hope you get your wee car fixed and up and running.

Thats a killer when something out the blue happens, sounds like you do the right thing and turn it over when your away.

Gismo
1st January 2012, 11:08 PM
The battery has an eye sight on it and it shows green for battery in ok condition.
My best guess is a goosed starter motor, will find out Tuesday when the dealer opens

Gismo
3rd January 2012, 12:08 PM
Anyone bump started their mini that has the stop start button?
Or at least can it be done?

zimbo
3rd January 2012, 12:35 PM
Check your manuel Alan, but I dont think you can bump start these modern minis... :confused:

ianking
3rd January 2012, 08:02 PM
You can bump start them. You have to have the key in and the ignition fully on. It will come up with an exclamation mark on the rev counter and will beeb at you.
Presume your USA mini is a manual then if you are wanting to bump start it. If so slip it into 2nd as 1st puts too much resistance on it and its sometimes not enough to spin the engine over enough.

Gismo
3rd January 2012, 09:37 PM
Took it to the dealer on a trailer, result, failed battery, $257 fitted :sad:

Craig
3rd January 2012, 09:42 PM

So we were right then :moonie: ;)

Glad it's sorted :yes nod:

ajamesj
3rd January 2012, 09:56 PM
Never rely on yer green eye sight on your battery you just need your friendly newminiscotland team by your side lol. This happens so often with batteries

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=56.570630,-2.567413

AndyP & Lenore
3rd January 2012, 10:40 PM

:thud:

ianking
4th January 2012, 01:43 PM
Thats a huge amount for a new battery (I know its in $ US)