PDA

View Full Version : JCW Carbon Steering Wheel Inserts... daft question.

ELFMAN
31st December 2011, 08:08 PM
As a Hogmanay Treat, I thought I'd nip out this morning and fit the Carbon Inserts on my steering wheel - 10 minute job, no probs... EXCEPT:
How the **** do you get the BOTTOM insert out? :moonie: I got the other two sorted OK, but the removal of the bottom one, while there are no screws to undo, seems to be hampered by the airbag housing/horn centre boss of the wheel. I can prise out the two lower fittings, but the top two seem impossible to pull out as the rim of the airbag housing is in the way and the horn keeps going off like a deranged alarm every time I try to move it! I didn't want to force anything in case I damaged the boss or the airbag. :ragin:Plus the fact my neighbours would have killed me if I got any 'hornier' :blush:

I'm sure there's a simple solution - or do I have to take the wheel to bits? Bloody hope not... Any ideas? :idunno: Go on, make my New Year! :thumbs up:

GCA3N
31st December 2011, 11:46 PM
Done this a few times Euan. There are two methods. Firstly after you remove the screw it will actually pull out but it's very tight. The easiest way is to disconnect the battery and then using a 2 or 3mm Allen key put it in the hole behind the steering wheel pushing in it will unclip the airbag, with out actually removing the whole airbag unit it will now allow the insert to be removed. Once you've replaced the insert the airbag just pushes back in. Once complete reconnect battery. If your struggling pop over and I'll do it for you bud.

ianking
3rd January 2012, 07:59 PM
If you cant get it done I will do it when you are over with your side skirts.

ELFMAN
4th January 2012, 01:32 PM
Many Thanks Greig and Ian!

I reckon it would make sense to sort it when I'm over with the 'Skirts. Ian, let me know a couple of 'Suitable Saturdays' for you and I'll run over with the bits and we can hopefully get the 'makeover' back on track!

ianking
4th January 2012, 01:42 PM
Elfman, will phone you some point over the next couple days when I know what my plans are

ELFMAN
5th January 2012, 05:09 PM
Cheers Shinemeister! Talk to you then :bigwave:

Update on the remaining Carbon insert - was in Hamilton earlier today after taking G3 ELF out for a canter (it was nice and clean under cover in the garage, but in danger of seizing up through lack of use - there's a joke there somewhere - so it's now manky but happy!) and dropped in to Douglas Park MINI, just on the off-chance. RESULT! For the swap of my 'spare' NMS Calendar, I got a cup of coffee, a blether and my obstinate 3rd carbon spoke fitted! So the calendar has now 'infiltrated' a MINI Dealership, and might even be classed as 'legal tender' in some areas! All in all, 20 minutes very well spent, and top marks tae Dougie Park's :thumbs up:

Thanks to Greig and Ian for the offers of help - much appreciated.

GCA3N
5th January 2012, 05:27 PM
Cheers Shinemeister! Talk to you then :bigwave:

Update on the remaining Carbon insert - was in Hamilton earlier today after taking G3 ELF out for a canter (it was nice and clean under cover in the garage, but in danger of seizing up through lack of use - there's a joke there somewhere - so it's now manky but happy!) and dropped in to Douglas Park MINI, just on the off-chance. RESULT! For the swap of my 'spare' NMS Calendar, I got a cup of coffee, a blether and my obstinate 3rd carbon spoke fitted! So the calendar has now 'infiltrated' a MINI Dealership, and might even be classed as 'legal tender' in some areas! All in all, 20 minutes very well spent, and top marks tae Dougie Park's :thumbs up:

Thanks to Greig and Ian for the offers of help - much appreciated.

Your very welcome Euan.

ELFMAN
9th January 2012, 02:31 PM
Took the car out for a blast yesterday and I reckon the Carbon bits have added at least 10bhp... :smilewinkgrin: :motoring: :thumbs up:

Craig
9th January 2012, 02:46 PM
Took the car out for a blast yesterday and I reckon the Carbon bits have added at least 10bhp... :smilewinkgrin: :motoring: :thumbs up:

:clap: ;)

ELFMAN
9th January 2012, 03:35 PM
Cheers Craig! :thumbs up: Running like a dream and pulling like a train! (the car that is - I haven't 'pulled' since the last Ice Age :snow::snow:)
Had to get the wee motor out on the road again last week, as it had been locked up for far too long what with the Landscaping, using the Pug for work etc etc :frown: You forget how much fun your MINI is when you don't drive it for a while!

I had been thinking about trying to get a bit more noise out of it by removing the front resonator/silencer, but to be honest, although it doesn't have the soundtrack of my old car, it's sounding so sweet it'd be daft to start mucking around with it. Back in the Pug this week for the daily drive though - the MINI doesn't even get warmed through on my short (4 miles) run to work, so it gets wear and tear in 'Granny Mode' for no real reason. I have the luxury of being able to give it a good run every time I use it now, and it seems to be working a treat :yes nod:

This all sounds good, and I sound spoiled for choice, but I only have the Pug because Mum's not with us any more - so I'd much rather be having to use the MINI as my daily driver... :sad: Every silver cloud has a dark lining. Sorry, got a bit heavy there, silly old fart :argh:

Anyway, next up are the JCW Sideskirts, which might require a 250bhp Custom Remap to overcome the extra drag... (only kidding :smilewinkgrin:)

N16SHP
9th January 2012, 03:36 PM

I hear the NMS sticker adds 5bhp no? I added two for good measure!

As per the inserts, I did mine after Greig wrapped them, and I thought pah, I won't need to disconnect the battery a'l be fine...yeah, don't think the neighbours were too please with my horn going off for a solid 45 seconds as I wrestled the bottom cover out. Still, don't think the seagulls will be back anytime soon :shut up:

ELFMAN
9th January 2012, 03:42 PM
I'm surprised your ears still work! Eh? What???

So, theoretically, my 2 NMS Badges and Sticker, combined with the Carbon Inserts are worth about 25BHP - which is more than my Forge Intercooler... I may have hit on something here - and for once it's not Kylie.

GCA3N
9th January 2012, 04:39 PM
Brilliant banter as ever Euan. Side skirts are a great shout btw.

MINIme:)
9th January 2012, 07:30 PM
hmm you think a 4mi trip to work is bad for granny, Euan. My daily round trip is 4mi so I'm in trouble :frown:

ELFMAN
10th January 2012, 02:21 PM
You need to take it out for a long blast Joanna! Or at least a prolonged 'Brisk Pootle'... :motoring: :excited: (over-excited passenger)