PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 4S - iOS 5.0.1 upgrade problem

AndyP & Lenore
27th December 2011, 12:31 AM
Trying to update my iPhone 4S with iOS 5.0.1. :ragin:

I've updated to the latest version of iTunes. And when I connect my iPhone to my PC with a USB cable I get the option to update to 5.0.1. I click download and install and once it's downloaded and it starts the process of updating I get a message saying "the firmware is not compatible with this software" or something like that. And it won't install it.:badcomp:

If only we had an Apple Expert (TM) as an NMS member that could point me in the right direction.....:bow:

A.

Craig
27th December 2011, 12:39 AM
I take it you've switched off your antivirus and firewall for the duration of the update??

AndyP & Lenore
27th December 2011, 12:47 AM
I take it you've switched off your antivirus and firewall for the duration of the update??

To be fair, I haven't. But then I've never done that for any previous iOS update. Ever.

Also, on googling the issue, it looks like 5.0.1 may be a backward step anyway. It seems the biggest issue addressed in this update is the poor battery life problem some people were experiencing with 4S's. I haven't experienced that anyway. But those who have done the update are finding battery life LESS with 5.0.1 than with 5.0. :thud:

A.

Scottie
27th December 2011, 07:49 AM
I done the update OTA had no problems and battery life is fine mines is the 4 not the s should that make a difference

Gismo
27th December 2011, 10:08 AM
Hmm, so i've got an update to look foward to when i get home, hope i don't have the same problems as you.
I also never disable my anti virus or firewall when i perform updates

stoney
27th December 2011, 10:26 AM
going to try now :lol:

stoney
27th December 2011, 10:33 AM
mine is done all ready and no probs

Gismo
27th December 2011, 10:44 AM
mine is done all ready and no probsSo it's just AndyP being a fanny then :lol:

AndyP & Lenore
27th December 2011, 11:05 AM
So it's just AndyP being a fanny then :lol:

So it seems.

Hmmmmm.:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Craig
27th December 2011, 11:12 AM
I've always had to disable my av to do phone updates or it errors. Every single update.... It's why I only update my phone about every 3 months. :argh: when I google the error it says to disable av and firewall. :idunno:

AndyP & Lenore
27th December 2011, 11:15 AM
I've always had to disable my av to do phone updates or it errors. Every single update.... It's why I only update my phone about every 3 months. :argh: when I google the error it says to disable av and firewall. :idunno:

OK. I'll give that a go when I get back from work tonight.

A.

EcosseGP
27th December 2011, 11:54 AM
I have to agree with what you've read Andy after updating my 4S the battery life has decreased by about 10% with one that doesn't run the new software.
I had a few attempts at installing mine too but was told to do it as late on at night as possible which I did and had no issues with it.

At 8000rpm no one hears you scream

AndyP & Lenore
27th December 2011, 12:22 PM

AVG and Firewall disabled and I get the exact same message. :ragin:

"The iPhone "Andrew Poole's iPhone" could not be updated because the firmware file is not compatible":ragin::ragin:

When you click the "more information" tab it takes you to a KB page on Apple which suggests updating the phone's iOS version - not very helpful. :thud: It also suggests restarting the PC and disconnecting all USB devices. Will try this later tonight but I'm not convinced that is what the problem is.

Although I do wonder if I'm doing the right thing and may just wait until 5.0.2 comes out - can't be far away - because I really don't want to make my battery life shorter. :thud:

A.

MINI William
27th December 2011, 01:13 PM
Managed to update mine fine. The only prblem I know have is that my phone now runs a bit slow and when I recive a message the phone vibarates 4or 5 times along with the tone almost like its confused

Gismo
27th December 2011, 01:32 PM
Ok, this is not good, sounds like the fix for one thing causes more problems than it fixes