PDA

View Full Version : The iPad thread

GCA3N
20th December 2011, 06:18 PM
Having recently come back to the world of apple in the guise of an iPad 2 I wanted to say its been too long. Don't get me wrong I love my galaxy s 2 and would never swap for an iPhone but damn I love this iPad.

So I thought I'd start up a thread specifically for the iPad.

So who has one, thoughts opinions and the best apps and games.

Craig
20th December 2011, 06:41 PM
I have the original iPad as I got a HUGE discount for buying it just before the new one came out ;)

Best apps.....
Sky Go, TV Catch Up, Scottraffic Pro, BA, Autotrader, British Gas ;)

Sheilz
20th December 2011, 09:03 PM
I have an iPad 2. I use it as an alternative to my Filofax which always starts the year in pristine condition but by December is just a midden! The ipad's fab, just have to remember to charge it up! Downside is the predictive text. It comes up with some bizarre things so always got to check what I've typed!

Martin c
20th December 2011, 09:56 PM
I've got an original i pad, a superb piece of kit, had it about 18 months or so now :smilewinkgrin:

I dig it HD is a seriously addictive game, playing i mobster at the moment too, Reckless racing is also a great game :smilewinkgrin:

Will deffo be getting an i pad 3 when it comes out next year

AndyP & Lenore
21st December 2011, 12:26 AM
Got an iPad original. Sad as it is, I hardly use it, but each time I do use it I love it. I sometimes use it when my Kindle dies on me 'cos I forgot to charge it. iPad battery seems to last for ever and ever.

A.

Gismo
21st December 2011, 05:07 AM
Am reading this thread with interest, i recently bought a notebook over an iPad becuase i needed something that i could use for work, i had to be able to create documents, scan and work withExcel spreadsheets.
Obviously the iPad is a great bit of kit, being Apple, but, for me i couldn't justify it.
I still want one though :Whistle:

GCA3N
21st December 2011, 09:14 AM
See like you Alan I wanted something less restrictive than an iPad, it was nearly a Xoom or a Samsung tablet, or I was intending waiting for the asus transformer prime but I love the feel of this and the games on the iPad are mental so much better than android ones. I think that was the decider. Got the iPad synced to My laptop for movie streaming so it's just fantastic, can't put the bugger down tbh.

gauldrymini
21st December 2011, 10:57 AM
Have the Ipod Touch 4, which I think is great. Really like FIFA 12 and the British Gas App. Seems much handier for checking emails and quicker than our netbook...although its screen is a bit TINY

rpn
21st December 2011, 12:03 PM
I ‘used’ to have one (iPad 2) until a few weeks ago!

I show my wife how to use it and now I can’t get hold of it :sad:

Stewart
21st December 2011, 09:02 PM
They do look a great bit of kit, I can see me getting one just to use around the house in a few years. when they come down in price to acceptable level for light use.

Love the Planets and solar system thing they run in the Demo in the Apple shop.

GCA3N
21st December 2011, 09:07 PM
They won't come down Stewart they upgrade every year mate, a second hand one is your best bet. Tbh the wifi 16gb one is sufficient and at £399 it's great value.

Bazthemod
21st December 2011, 09:57 PM
They won't come down Stewart they upgrade every year mate, a second hand one is your best bet. Tbh the wifi 16gb one is sufficient and at £399 it's great value.

Want a job? haha

GCA3N
21st December 2011, 10:09 PM
Baz as a hater of apple, lol, na seriously this is an amazing piece of kit it blows it's contenders out the water. The only thing I think that may have a look in is the new asus

AndyP & Lenore
21st December 2011, 10:10 PM
I ‘used’ to have one (iPad 2) until a few weeks ago!

I show my wife how to use it and now I can’t get hold of it :sad:

You stupid man.:shut up: You should know wimen and technology don't mix.:Whistle:

A.:laugh:

MINIme:)
21st December 2011, 10:23 PM
You should know wimen and technology don't mix.:Whistle:

I was going to say GASP! :blink:

but then I remembered I don't even have a smartphone. Or a ipad. Or an ipod other than those silly wee clip on ones.
I've still got a toploader video player, with a remote control on a string and the original box (it doesn't connect to the tv though :sad:)
I was 25 when I bought my first laptop.
My tv isn't flatscreen and was free from someone ditching it to upgrade. And the last one I had was acquired the same way. And actually so was the dvd player.

I'm also considering leaving my computery maps job to work with furniture restoration.

So in summary....you might actually be right.

:whiteflag:

GCA3N
21st December 2011, 10:24 PM
Brilliant Joanna :laugh:

Sheilz
22nd December 2011, 01:12 AM
Am reading this thread with interest, i recently bought a notebook over an iPad becuase i needed something that i could use for work, i had to be able to create documents, scan and work withExcel spreadsheets.
Obviously the iPad is a great bit of kit, being Apple, but, for me i couldn't justify it.
I still want one though :Whistle:

I think there are apps for spreadsheets. I do reports on my iPad. Great thing about it is taking minutes from a meeting and emailing them to everyone as meeting ends. Saves the scunner of having to take them back to the office to get lost in the in-tray!

Stewart
22nd December 2011, 03:30 PM
I held off for years with the I-phone as lets face it its luxury but once you get used to having Weather, E-mail, Twitter, Facebook and even British Gas etc on it for the monthly readings you just get dam attached to the thing.

If there is an I-pad 3 on the way then I would expect the I-pad 2 to drop in the same way you can now pick up the I-phone 3gs for half its original price and even the 4 has dropped with the new 4S being the new weapon of choice. Once the new eye candy and new features of the next model are released it’s a given that demand will move to it.

Joanna sometimes your better sticking with the Wood,(Euan behave!) it can’t crash, delete stuff or decide its just not working. It’s a bit like a paperback book you don’t have to worry about the battery life or if it gets scratched or sat on.

Gismo
22nd December 2011, 04:37 PM
I think there are apps for spreadsheets. I do reports on my iPad. Great thing about it is taking minutes from a meeting and emailing them to everyone as meeting ends. Saves the scunner of having to take them back to the office to get lost in the in-tray!Are you logging onto wi-fi at your work for that or do you have a 2nd subscription for the iPad. If the latter, that's exactly what i want to do away with, one subscription for multiple devices would be a must and not sure it can be done, ie, my iPhone and an iPad

Sheilz
22nd December 2011, 10:24 PM
Are you logging onto wi-fi at your work for that or do you have a 2nd subscription for the iPad. If the latter, that's exactly what i want to do away with, one subscription for multiple devices would be a must and not sure it can be done, ie, my iPhone and an iPad

Am too much of a skinflint to pay twice!! I just log in whereever I can. It defo has some uses in terms of work related tasks but to all intents and purposes this is really a toy for grown ups. If I was to be doing a major report or whatever I'd use my laptop for comfort if nothing else. One Aberdeen school is trying to get the parents to cough up £18 pw to provide their kid with an ipad. I think its a bit of a con really coz these things are functional not educational. This seems to be a growing trend but I really think its a shame putting financially hard pressed parents under more pressure for something that really is just a grown up toy.

Bazthemod
22nd December 2011, 11:39 PM
Are you logging onto wi-fi at your work for that or do you have a 2nd subscription for the iPad. If the latter, that's exactly what i want to do away with, one subscription for multiple devices would be a must and not sure it can be done, ie, my iPhone and an iPad

If you have an iphone 4 you can share your connection to an ipad using the hotspot feature.

AndyP & Lenore
23rd December 2011, 01:15 AM
Alan, if you're talking about 3G connections, my iPad and my iPhone 4S are on the same contract with orange. Although the iPad has its own mobile number for 3G data. They are both charged to the same account number. One bill each month for all data across both devices.

If you're talking about wifi connection, like Sheilz, I just log on wherever it's free. ;)

A. :D

Gismo
23rd December 2011, 04:53 AM
If you have an iphone 4 you can share your connection to an ipad using the hotspot feature.Hmm, i have the new 4S, forgot about the sharing hotspot thingymajig, must try that in the store

Alan, if you're talking about 3G connections, my iPad and my iPhone 4S are on the same contract with orange. Although the iPad has its own mobile number for 3G data. They are both charged to the same account number. One bill each month for all data across both devices.

If you're talking about wifi connection, like Sheilz, I just log on wherever it's free. ;)

A. :DAre you paying extra for the iPad or the same price after you added the iPad to the account?
As Baz says, i could use an iPad anywhere by using the 4S share feature and wi-fi when available cause i'd always have my phone with me anyway, hmm, food for thought

Gismo
23rd December 2011, 04:53 AM
If you have an iphone 4 you can share your connection to an ipad using the hotspot feature.Hmm, i have the new 4S, forgot about the sharing hotspot thingymajig, must try that in the store

A. :DAre you paying extra for the iPad or the same price after you added the iPad to the account?
As Baz says, i could use an iPad anywhere by using the 4S share feature and wi-fi when available cause i'd always have my phone with me anyway, hmm, food for thought

The Dogfather
23rd December 2011, 07:59 AM
Details of the Orange iPad/iPhone offer can be found here: -

http://shop9.orange.co.uk/apple-bundle/

However if anyone on here is using a 40% discount code from me I don’t believe it can be used on this offer, otherwise I’d have gone for it.

With Orange you also get free access to BT Openzones. If anyone has any specific questions regarding Orange give a shout via PM.

ianking
23rd December 2011, 09:30 AM
However if anyone on here is using a 40% discount code from me I don’t believe it can be used on this offer, questions regarding Orange give a shout via PM.

Vidal, can you get 40% discount for buying a new phone or off the bill etc? Im due a new phone now and tempted to go away from O2 as they are charging a fortune. Was going to go to the shops for one between xmas and new year.

The Dogfather
23rd December 2011, 10:04 AM
I get 5 codes per year.

The discount is off the monthly price not the actual cost of the phone. The discount can't be used on new iPhone connections (yet), but it can be applied to iPhone upgrades. I've just upgraded to a 64Gb 4S, it cost me £30 for the handset and its £36 per month with unlimited calls, data and texts.

Its only available through online though and I won't get my new codes till January, Malcolm had the last one.

Craig
23rd December 2011, 10:40 AM
Vidal, can you get 40% discount for buying a new phone or off the bill etc? Im due a new phone now and tempted to go away from O2 as they are charging a fortune. Was going to go to the shops for one between xmas and new year.

If you like the coverage of O2 then remember that tesco piggyback their network and their tariffs are cheaper ;)

ianking
23rd December 2011, 12:21 PM
O2 coverage is fine at home and in and around Edinburgh but I cant seem to get anything when im away up the North East with work.

MiniSnaps
24th December 2011, 11:07 AM
O2 coverage is fine at home and in and around Edinburgh but I cant seem to get anything when im away up the North East with work.

I had a Tesco/O2 mobile and a 3 Mifi hotspot thingy, when I was up in Glencoe I couldn't get a phone signal on O2 but the Mifi was strong enough to quickly send 2mb FTP images in to the papers. I've now swapped over to a 3 phone contract (£36/month 2000 minutes/2000 texts and -£10 [that's negative £10] for the phone) as it comes with "all you can eat" data, so I can piggyback either my ipad or macbook off the iphone and the reception so far seems every bit as good, if not better in most areas than O2.

Getting back to the iPad, rumour has it that the iPad 3 will be launched on 24 Feb (Steve Jobs' birthday), but if the iPad 2 launch is anything to go by don't expect any ultra-cheap new iPad 2s, they'll probably manage to shift all the remaining stocks without discounting more than ten or twenty quid off them...

GCA3N
24th December 2011, 12:35 PM
I had a Tesco/O2 mobile and a 3 Mifi hotspot thingy, when I was up in Glencoe I couldn't get a phone signal on O2 but the Mifi was strong enough to quickly send 2mb FTP images in to the papers. I've now swapped over to a 3 phone contract (£36/month 2000 minutes/2000 texts and -£10 [that's negative £10] for the phone) as it comes with "all you can eat" data, so I can piggyback either my ipad or macbook off the iphone and the reception so far seems every bit as good, if not better in most areas than O2.

Getting back to the iPad, rumour has it that the iPad 3 will be launched on 24 Feb (Steve Jobs' birthday), but if the iPad 2 launch is anything to go by don't expect any ultra-cheap new iPad 2s, they'll probably manage to shift all the remaining stocks without discounting more than ten or twenty quid off them...

Your spot on apple rarely reduce any of their products they simply release the new one and remove the older ones from sale.

MiniSnaps
24th December 2011, 01:05 PM
Your spot on apple rarely reduce any of their products they simply release the new one and remove the older ones from sale.

Probably just get sold as "refurbished" through the Apple store, that way they can justify a lower price without being seen to have done any discounting.

RobSco
24th December 2011, 02:41 PM
If you looking for an iPad cheap Big Offers Discount Warehouse has some going at a reasonable price, but remember and add the VAT on the prices shown... :yes nod:

Information can be found at...

www.bigoffersretail.com

www.flashoffers.co.uk

MiniSnaps
26th December 2011, 06:15 PM
If you looking for an iPad cheap Big Offers Discount Warehouse has some going at a reasonable price, but remember and add the VAT on the prices shown... :yes nod:

Information can be found at...

www.bigoffersretail.com

www.flashoffers.co.uk

1st Gen though...

Stewart
26th December 2011, 06:36 PM
Still concerning Apple just not the Ipad. I was a bit tempted today when I found 3 doing I-phone 4s for £35 a month all you can eat kind of package and the phone only £49. I was nearly on to Mazuma with my one year old 3GS….that is on a £25 a month contract still.

Mazuma have my phone on at £90. I got it free anyway, well you know what I mean nothing is free but I thought these things would be costing the earth and not just an extra £10 a month and under £50.

Spacecadetrik
26th December 2011, 11:10 PM
My iPad 2 goes everywhere with me. I had the first one too. They replaced my MacBook. I use 3 network and my iPhone as a mobile hotspot. With the properly unlimited data on 3 I never have a problem getting connected on the go.

MiniSnaps
27th December 2011, 05:03 PM
Still concerning Apple just not the Ipad. I was a bit tempted today when I found 3 doing I-phone 4s for £35 a month all you can eat kind of package and the phone only £49. I was nearly on to Mazuma with my one year old 3GS….that is on a £25 a month contract still.

Mazuma have my phone on at £90. I got it free anyway, well you know what I mean nothing is free but I thought these things would be costing the earth and not just an extra £10 a month and under £50.

I'm on that deal with 3, it was £99 for the phone with the 2000 minutes/ 5000 texts package but with that deal Quidco (http://www.quidco.com/user/676568/) give £109 cashback, so :thumbs up:

Stewart
27th December 2011, 06:39 PM
The shops still have it at £99 but direct from 3 its only £49. I'm waiting till this 4G kicks in and the power of these thing and use goes through the roof....the New I-phone is said to be 4G ready and a bigger screen.

MiniSnaps
28th December 2011, 03:19 AM
The shops still have it at £99 but direct from 3 its only £49. I'm waiting till this 4G kicks in and the power of these thing and use goes through the roof....the New I-phone is said to be 4G ready and a bigger screen.

You confusing the deals, Stewart. Direct from 3 (which is how I bought mine) if you go for the £49 upfront option you only get 500 minutes/2000 texts/1gb of data a month for £35, via the Quidco link above for a £99 upfront cost you get 2000 minutes/5000 texts,unlimited data and £109 cashback for the same £35, making it £60 less for 1500 minutes/3000 texts a month more.....

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/selectivefocus1/Screenshot2011-12-28at021343.png

GCA3N
28th December 2011, 10:14 AM
Stewart 4g is set for release sometime in 2013 estimated when you think the amount of tablets being released now , can you imagine the tech in 2 years from now, you might as well wait Till then :smilewinkgrin:

Stewart
28th December 2011, 11:48 AM
The 4G looked fantastic, I love the Tech side of things and how they slowly integrate into everyday life.

Who would have thought you’d be sitting beside a fire with a A4 sized screen that does more or less what you can do on a PC.

MiniSnaps
28th December 2011, 02:40 PM
Stewart 4g is set for release sometime in 2013 estimated when you think the amount of tablets being released now , can you imagine the tech in 2 years from now, you might as well wait Till then :smilewinkgrin:

Exactly, no matter when you buy tech kit it'll always be replaced by something newer and better within a few months, if you hung off for the "best" you'd never buy anything :smilewinkgrin: