PDA

View Full Version : Big hello (again) and questions about Coopers D and DS...

oktapod
19th December 2011, 09:35 AM
Hi everyone.

We used to be members here way back (circa 2002-4) and took part in some of the runs etc., but in 2004 we sold our Cooper S and have been away driving other stuff (both interesting and not-so-interesting) ever since. Well, it's nice to be back (despite the byzantine registration process ;-) and it's a pity our old accounts seem to be gone but then it must be at least 6 years since either of us last logged on so understandable...

We're thinking about getting a Mini Cooper D (2011 model) on business lease as there are some good deals around. I wanted to ask a few questions about the 'D and also ask about the SD (which looks interesting) as an alternative. Due to company BIK tax rules and the like, I'm really only considering a diesel Mini right now. We could also buy the car outright but I'm tempted not to sink so much money into a car that really isn't mission critical, if you know what I mean...

So, to the questions:

1) How much 'fun' is the Cooper D compared to the 2003-era Cooper S (performance/handling/etc.)?
2) What about reliability - any major flaws to be aware of?
3) In terms of options, what are the 'must-haves'? (We'd be leasing a D on a Chili spec)
4) Can anyone comment on how easy the current shape Mini hatches are with regard to room in the back and access (as we have two kids, 5 and 2.5)?
5) Have they improved the rather awful stock stereo that we had in the 2003 Cooper S?
6) What about those impressive economy figures - anyone got any 'real world' actual figures?

Ummmm... I'm sure there are other things to ask about but for the moment this is me doing my research. My wife loved the Cooper S and we're currently running around in a 2004 Ibiza FR which goes very well for a diesel hatch but doesn't handle particularly well IMHO and I'm hopeful that the current Cooper D can equal the FR for poke but (naturally) out-handle it on the twisty bits. And be cheaper to run too... I can eek 54mpg out of the FR on a run, but it's probably only getting 40-42mpg for my wife's commute (largely due to her tendency to hold the gear in a petrol car sort of way). I'd settle for 65mpg (run) and 50mpg (urban) - which is more pessimistic than the claims but still better than the FR.

Next question is about the Cooper SD - any good? Tax is higher (in terms of BIK and of course it's in the lowish road-tax bracket rather than the £0 one) and economy is lower, but are these trade-offs worth it for the extra poke and the slightly higher stock Chili options list?

John (& Tahra) - formerly owners of 'Scooby' the silver-eared S.

Gismo
19th December 2011, 11:11 AM
:welcome:
Sorry for deleting your old account, but, in an effort to streamline the member base accounts older than 2 to 3 years that have not logged on in that time are deleted.
In that time you have missed the software upgrades which rendered your old password useless and you would have had some kind of attempt to contact me to reinstate your account.

With regards to the registration process, apologies, but, for the hackers out there hellbent on wrecking sites it's the minimum i can do to keep some level of safety for the site

Sorry i'm not able to answer your questions, but, others will be along shortly :thumbs up:

Glorious
19th December 2011, 03:35 PM
Welcome back! I took delivery of a new Cooper D last week so don't have any decent figures on fuel economy yet and have never had a Cooper S.

However, to answer question 4, yesterday my wife (5'2") drove me (6'3") and my 2 sons aged 9 and 6 into Edinburgh city centre and I was amazed by the room - my 9yo sat behind me and kept his feet on the floor - he was comfy, as I was I in the front - I didn't expect that.

It handles like it's on rails and is great fun. I'm sure others will have their own opinions but whatever your decision I hope it works out for you :thumbs up: