PDA

View Full Version : Car away on Transporter, not starting

ianking
16th December 2011, 01:31 PM
Ive been experiencing problems with the car since Sunday.
Its been toiling to start. Just turning over and not firing up, takes about 2 or 3 mins of turning over until it eventually fires.
Called MINI emergency services out on Monday night as it wouldnt start again. They never sent out a BMW guy (they used to have BMW techs in silver 5 series tourers with all the BMW code readers etc in the boot) but a local recovery service that thought I needed a jump start. Anyway he jumped in and it fired up 1st shot. Typical.

Next morning took ages to start and the same every morning until last night at work about to go home at 4pm the damn thing wouldnt go. I now work in Perth so public transport home aint easy. Called Mini services again and insisted that they trailer my car to a dealer this time. By the time they got back to me (1hr) they said it would be too late to get the recovery vehicle up to me and then to the dealers so would it be OK to leave the car where it was. It is perfectly safe in my works car park anyway. I got a call from Perth enterprise hire centre to say they were arranging me a car, I got dropped off there as a colleague was going home that way. They said that BMW/MINI services prefer to put customers into another BMW and because he didnt have any here he would drive me either home and get a car dropped off that night or take me to the airport branch where a car would be waiting. I got dropped off at the airport and collected a nice new 320d M Sport Auto saloon. I must say the service from Enterprise was excellent.

MINI services sent a recovery vehicle to my work at 10.15 this morning to collect the car and its away to Grassicks, who have also been great.

Was a long journey home though as didnt get in the door until quarter to 8 after trying to leave at 4 but hey ho.

Will keep you all posted as to the fault.

Craig
16th December 2011, 01:41 PM
Kinda worrying about the car Ian. Thought I had been told it was a bad idea to jump new cars these days due to ecu's and power spikes ?!?!?

Looks like you've been looked after tho by enterprise and grassicks.:clap: That's a far commute you have these days :thud:

ianking
16th December 2011, 01:46 PM
Kinda worrying about the car Ian. Thought I had been told it was a bad idea to jump new cars these days due to ecu's and power spikes ?!?!?

Looks like you've been looked after tho by enterprise and grassicks.:clap: That's a far commute you have these days :thud:

Yeah it didnt need jumped but if I had tried it any longer then it probably would have.
I have been reliably informed its OK to jump a modern car but you should put the side lights on when doing so in order to take away any potential surge.

Yeah big commute but its worth my while and only takes 1 hour.
I dont have to drive every week as 3 other guys from edinburgh in my office so we all meet at the edinburgh bypass and take a week each. I ended up driving my self yesterday as was intending on popping into eastern with the car on the way home to explain the problem and see if they could help. Also let them see a video I took of the car trying to start over a 3 minute period but its away to Grassicks now anyway as they are only 2 mins from my work.

ELFMAN
16th December 2011, 02:25 PM
Hope you get it sorted Ian, at least the 'after care' service seems to be positive.

Mine's still tucked up in my garage, the skip's gone, but so has the weather, so it's the wee Pug for the foreseeable future. We'll get the skirts done in the New Year! :thumbs up:

stoney
16th December 2011, 05:26 PM
o no thats not good mate hope all gets sorted soon

MINI William
16th December 2011, 05:48 PM
Not good Ian hope you get it back shortly

weefossy
16th December 2011, 06:04 PM
hope it all gets sorted Ian.
By the way, your signature has a grey JCW, when did you change? :unsure:

I'm losing it, Elfman, can you send me some tablets please!! :dizzy:

Neil - TXJ
16th December 2011, 08:15 PM
Hope it all gets sorted quickly but at least they have given you a decent car to run around in.

AndyP & Lenore
16th December 2011, 10:07 PM
Hope it gets sorted soon Ian. Wouldn't fancy a rear wheel drive beemer to drive about in in the wintry weather. Although we were in Edinburgh today and there's no snow at all. Woke up to 6" this morning.:ragin:

A.

Bazthemod
17th December 2011, 12:14 AM
Woke up to 6" this morning.:ragin:

A.

Snigger

AndyP & Lenore
17th December 2011, 01:17 AM
Snigger

Child. :moonie:

LadyR
17th December 2011, 10:09 AM
This sounds familiar Ian...I've got an 07 plate r56 and exactly the same happened, it'd start eventually but only after keeping the revs really high, and as soon as the mechanic came, started fine as I'd had it running. They thought it was an air or fuel filter problem initially, had it wired up to diagnostics 4or 5times and eventually came back with a sensor fault that was giving readings that the engine was too hot when it clearly wasn't. And I know of 3 others that had the same problem. Hope it all gets sorted whatever the problem is..

Stewart
17th December 2011, 04:51 PM
Hope you get your car back soon.:sad:

ianking
18th December 2011, 10:41 AM
Got a call from Grassicks fri night to say that they can't get my car to start either. They had it hooked up to the computer whilst trying so they have some things to try on Monday when parts arrive.
I'm happy with the 3 series for the moment though

Craig
18th December 2011, 10:54 AM
Hopefully the diagnostics has given them the reason Ian an it's an easy fix... ;) Not a bad car to be riding around in tho... :yes nod:

EcosseGP
18th December 2011, 11:28 AM
I have an Audi that did a similar thing and like mentioned once the temp
sensor was changed it sorted the problem .. Initially thought it was the MAF sensor .. Maybe a similar set up/fault ?

At 8000rpm no one hears you scream

ELFMAN
18th December 2011, 06:53 PM
I'm losing it, Elfman, can you send me some tablets please!! :dizzy:
Just another 'Senior Moment' Malcolm... Tablets all gone, but I can have some Werthers Air-Dropped to you! :crazypilot:

ELFMAN
18th December 2011, 06:56 PM
Woke up to 6" this morning.:ragin:A.

:blush: Could be worse Andy, don't let it get you down... :laugh:

thechief
18th December 2011, 08:32 PM
Know how you're feeling, my JCW will hopefully be back at Grassicks soon to be fixed once and for all.

I've had it since the last day of November, was informed when I picked it up that they couldn't get the Sat Nav to work due to a coding issue. Car went back to Perth on the 5th to get this resolved (adding a further 250 miles on to the clock, it only had 280 on it at that time!), then got a phone call the next day saying it still can't be fixed (and I've got no clear date or any idea of when it will actually be fixed!) On top of that I've got dash rattles, bad power loss from cold and the odd squeak from my Recaro's.

To say I'm fed up of MINI is an understatement, not what I expected on a near £30k purchase :sad:

Gismo
19th December 2011, 06:02 AM
To say I'm fed up of MINI is an understatement, not what I expected on a near £30k purchase :sad:I think you are in a position to reject the car, start the ball rolling and hand your letter into the dealer where you bought the car from

Stewart
19th December 2011, 12:58 PM
There seems to be a few on here with Works that have not just slight niggles but game changers in that the car has major faults. Look at Ally’s fantastic looking White Works given back on rejection.

Fair puts you off. You would have be disappointed with such an expensive purchase not to be happy, Quality control needs a kick up the backside down Oxford way!

gauldrymini
19th December 2011, 01:13 PM
...not good news thechief about your FJCW:frown:

gets me thinking about my new Countryman, when it arrives:idunno: and the START STOP fault on the R57

thechief
19th December 2011, 02:15 PM
Pushing for rejection has crossed my mind but I don't know what I would replace it with. Realistically all I want is a fully functioning JCW.

My main frustration is being given no clear date when the Sat Nav will be fixed (so even if it took another attempt to fail at fixing it, it might not be for another few months!) and now this power loss issue has crept up. I don't know how they can get off with sending out these cars half finished, I'll have had the car for 3 weeks on Wednesday and have never seen the Sat Nav working!!

I think it's going into John Clarks to have the power loss issue investigated this week, I can't leave it until the car goes back in to get the Sat Nav fixed and the other problems looked at.

thechief
23rd February 2012, 09:05 PM
Well would you believe, that after owning the car since the end of November 2011......

I'll be seeing it with the Sat Nav and voice activation working tomorrow hopefully!!

My local dealership (John Clark, Aberdeen) have had the car since Monday and called today to tell me the good news. It apparently took 5 hours+ with their tech on the phone to MINI yesterday and the coding on the whole car was a shambles. I'll get more information on it when I pick up the car.

They also think the power loss has been resolved with the updated coding and MINI have asked them to replace the plugs/coils as a precaution too. If not there will be a JCW courtesy car waiting for me next week.

I must stress that the car wasn't bought from John Clarks but they have dealt with everything superbly, it's so refreshing as I've been critical of them in the past. Everyday I've had a phone call to update me on what they've done/trying to fix, it makes a big difference to be kept in the loop. When I change the missus 335i for an M3 (when it's released) they will be getting the sale based on how well they've dealt with this, I just feel bad they didn't get the sale of this car in the first place.

As for the supplying MINI dealer...... I'll go into that another time.

N16SHP
23rd February 2012, 09:19 PM
Well would you believe, that after owning the car since the end of November 2011......

I'll be seeing it with the Sat Nav and voice activation working tomorrow hopefully!!

My local dealership (John Clark, Aberdeen) have had the car since Monday and called today to tell me the good news. It apparently took 5 hours+ with their tech on the phone to MINI yesterday and the coding on the whole car was a shambles. I'll get more information on it when I pick up the car.

They also think the power loss has been resolved with the updated coding and MINI have asked them to replace the plugs/coils as a precaution too. If not there will be a JCW courtesy car waiting for me next week.

I must stress that the car wasn't bought from John Clarks but they have dealt with everything superbly, it's so refreshing as I've been critical of them in the past. Everyday I've had a phone call to update me on what they've done/trying to fix, it makes a big difference to be kept in the loop. When I change the missus 335i for an M3 (when it's released) they will be getting the sale based on how well they've dealt with this, I just feel bad they didn't get the sale of this car in the first place.

As for the supplying MINI dealer...... I'll go into that another time.

I have to agree, after the way they dealt with my recall issue I was genuinely pleasantly surprised.

Craig
23rd February 2012, 09:25 PM
Glad it's getting sorted ;)

thechief
23rd February 2012, 09:30 PM
Glad it's getting sorted ;)

It's took long enough :ragin:

MINIme:)
23rd February 2012, 09:44 PM
Fingers crossed it IS actually fixed this time :rolleyes:

thechief
23rd February 2012, 10:23 PM
Fingers crossed it IS actually fixed this time :rolleyes:

If not I'll have my JCW courtesy car to blah about in until it is :thumbs up: I've got faith they'll have it running 100% this visit if not next, they have really taken an interest towards resolving all problems.

MINIme:)
23rd February 2012, 10:27 PM
:thumbs up: sounds good mate!

Craig
23rd February 2012, 10:44 PM

You don't have to tell me.... The last 2 R56's I had were in the garage longer than I owned them :frown:

RobSco
24th February 2012, 02:22 AM

Glad to see it's finally being fixed for you and can sympathise with all the hassle and inconvenience your having as my Mini has been in the garage on several occasions since buying it in July last year, so know how you must feel... :frown:

Fingers crossed that it all works out 100% for you... :thumbs up: