PDA

View Full Version : STOP / START fault

gauldrymini
13th December 2011, 05:18 PM
Has anyone got any experience of the STOP / START not working as it should do? This being, when the car comes to a stop, engine cuts out, you press the clutch and nothing happens:thud: A light comes up saying AUTO STOP / START OFF...( I will give it OFF!!! word missing there me thinks:ragin:)

This has happened half a dozen times...car now booked in to Grassicks after Christmas...

GCA3N
13th December 2011, 05:36 PM
Never had that one on my R56 S, but then again I always switched it off every time I drove, " igintion in, start button, Start/stop off, sport button on and away :lol:"

Craig
13th December 2011, 05:49 PM
The start/stop in my Punto works faultlessly :clap: :santa:

Stewart
13th December 2011, 05:51 PM
If the outside Temp is low or car is not warmed up it does not do it! I think it has to be over 3C for it to work but we know this, Ive never had it not work outside this reason.

Could it be a battery fault?

gauldrymini
13th December 2011, 05:51 PM
Never had that one on my R56 S, but then again I always switched it off every time I drove, " igintion in, start button, Start/stop off, sport button on and away :lol:"

...nice:thumbs up::motoring:

Sharon misses the FJCW as didn't have this S/S function...but the Countryman will:Whistle:

gauldrymini
13th December 2011, 05:53 PM
If the outside Temp is low or car is not warmed up it does not do it! I think it has to be over 3C for it to work.

Though this too but alas no. The garage :computer: may know more (or maybe not...)

GCA3N
13th December 2011, 05:58 PM
What stewart says is correct, but I thought the issue was it was stopping but not re-starting. If it is just not stopping then outside temperatures/engine temps etc will effect it.

Stewart
13th December 2011, 06:08 PM
That’s probably my fault I did have half my post done before I read through what you posted. It’s when you pull up and the SS kicks in but it fails to reinitiate and restart the car.:oops:

Just to get it back on track.

MINIme:)
13th December 2011, 11:38 PM
I always switched it off every time I drove, " igintion in, start button, Start/stop off, sport button on and away"

what do you mean exactly Greig? do you mean that you turn off the stop start function (is it one of the wee buttons down in the centre I think?). I know I'm being :dizzy: but can you also tell me what you mean by ignition in? Do you mean clutch in or pressing the stopstart button without the clutch, to start the ignition without starting the engine?

GCA3N
14th December 2011, 07:27 AM
Joanna there is a button at the front of the gear stick which if you press switches off the auto start/stop. I always done that. Also always used to drive with sport button on too Joanna. Thats what I was getting at.

mark1984
14th December 2011, 08:19 AM
my car has done that to me a few times i pull up it stops then when i go to pull off it does not restart and i have not opened the dor or any thing as it turns its self off if you open drivers door.

it will not work if it is too cold outside or if you have to many things drawing power switched on or if your battery is needing a charge there are other things but i can not remember then. please let me know what the garage says as i also need to have mine looked at i never thought of it as a fault till i seen your post i just presumed that i had done something while it was stoped so that it did not restart.

Gismo
14th December 2011, 08:39 AM
As an ex motor mechanic i cannot get my head around the fact that you would want to strain the starter motor by choice.
I can only imagine the amount of times the stop start would be used in a heavily traffic light populated area.
Personally, i would have it turned off :Whistle:

MINIme:)
14th December 2011, 10:30 AM
Joanna there is a button at the front of the gear stick which if you press switches off the auto start/stop. I always done that. Also always used to drive with sport button on too Joanna. Thats what I was getting at.

so you just start the car normally and then switch it off. It's not a bad idea, I did think it was too much strain in a city environment to be going on and off all the time and as a result I tend to keep my foot on the clutch at lights rather a lot to stop it from kicking in! Your method sounds better!

Neil - TXJ
14th December 2011, 10:37 AM
Use it all the time while driving in Edinburgh and never had a problem. Spend considerable time sitting at traffic lights etc and think it does help economy and always started when I press the clutch.

GCA3N
14th December 2011, 12:13 PM
so you just start the car normally and then switch it off. It's not a bad idea, I did think it was too much strain in a city environment to be going on and off all the time and as a result I tend to keep my foot on the clutch at lights rather a lot to stop it from kicking in! Your method sounds better!

:idea::thumbs up:

gauldrymini
14th December 2011, 12:56 PM
As an ex motor mechanic i cannot get my head around the fact that you would want to strain the starter motor by choice.
I can only imagine the amount of times the stop start would be used in a heavily traffic light populated area.
Personally, i would have it turned off :Whistle:

Agree with this in principle Alan but I don't think you should always have turn it off. Maybe (only an idea) the STOP START should have been a no cost option when you spec the car from new.

From a bit of reading it could be

a. something to do with the seatbelt
b. the bonnet is not shut
c. fault with the battery
d. sensor fault on clutch
e. an engine sensor fault
f. a combo of a. - e.
g. None of the above and something totally different that a garage / dealer cannot detect :scratch::thud:

Bazthemod
14th December 2011, 01:42 PM
I had an issue with start stop that involved the car almost cutting out as it should then deciding it didnt want to and revving itself to around 3000rpm before going back to normal idle. Dealers decided it was my floor mats to blame which was utter **** as it did it with the mats out also. In the end i gave up and lived with it until I sold it as the dealers couldn't replicate the issue with them.

Def not a feature I miss in the FJCW

gauldrymini
14th December 2011, 03:20 PM
Dealers decided it was my floor mats to blame

...brilliant:laugh:. Those nasty, tricky floor mats...:stamp:

Stewart
14th December 2011, 07:07 PM
Had a new Honda accord and after a week or two the seatbelt would not release from its storage place at the side of the door, But only if I parked the car facing up the hill. I got annoyed jumping in the car late and driving without the seatbelt for about five minutes- not good or clever.

Thought this is going to be a nightmare and took it to the Dealer, service guy listens then goes away. I then see the car being parked in the flat. Another guy comes in after about five minutes saying no fault. I turned and said “ It only happens when its on a slope facing up” service manager said something like “Nothing like a slope can affect it so there is no need to try”

I said listen I’ve spent time working this out just entertain me with the Service ramp at the side. Guy goes off and after about twenty minutes comes back saying I’m right its when its parked facing up.

Its always annoying when the cars do something strange.