PDA

View Full Version : Supercharger!!!

mini megz
12th December 2011, 10:12 PM
Hello :yes nod:

The love for my mini is fading fast!!! :stamp:

I purchased my R53 Cooper S last January and so far have spent un-necessary money on it with the replacement of a radiator 3 months after purchase, power-steering pump just 2 weeks ago and now the blinking supercharger is gubbed :ragin: What next Mini?! I realise all cars have common faults, but come on, I haven't even spent any money on general wear and tear!

I was wondering if anyone could help me in finding a new supercharger or a reconditioned one from a trustworthy dealer? I have had a quote from BMW £1041 (NEW) £900 (RECON)?!!!

Your help is much appreciated :thumbs up:

Mini Megz :smilewinkgrin:

stoney
12th December 2011, 10:20 PM
gutted for you i can only say phone round the scrap yards of go uprated could allwasy give 1320 a phone see what they would be able to do for you

MINIme:)
12th December 2011, 10:27 PM
That doesn't sound good at all :sad:

I'm afraid I don't even know what one of them is - the only thing I can offer up is I wondered if you knew we get a wee 10% discount on parts at Peter Vardy in Edinburgh. If you do have to buy one from a dealer then hopefully a wee discount will be better than no discount, especially on such a large sum. Good luck.

mini megz
12th December 2011, 10:30 PM
Cheers.

I'm not so keen on the scrap yards as you never know what your getting and it might work the day I fit it then the next it's gubbed :confused: Going on experience from a previous car.

I'll take a look at 1320 site just now and phone them tomorrow. Couple of the lads that race the mini's at Knockhill, that I am friends with suggested Mini Spares, so could give them a call tomorrow. So frustrating!

I've been advised to work up the gears quick and keep the car below 2000rpm . . . granny style lol Just to keep it ticking over till I get a new supercharger.

Megz

stoney
12th December 2011, 11:33 PM
Cheers.

I'm not so keen on the scrap yards as you never know what your getting and it might work the day I fit it then the next it's gubbed :confused: Going on experience from a previous car.

I'll take a look at 1320 site just now and phone them tomorrow. Couple of the lads that race the mini's at Knockhill, that I am friends with suggested Mini Spares, so could give them a call tomorrow. So frustrating!

I've been advised to work up the gears quick and keep the car below 2000rpm . . . granny style lol Just to keep it ticking over till I get a new supercharger.

Megz

yep thats about all i can say to do as well hope you have some good luck

GCA3N
13th December 2011, 07:08 AM
Not good but, and I am sorry to say, you are not alone in having major issues with mini's. Good luck with the hunt, I'll keep me ear to the ground.

Gismo
13th December 2011, 08:03 AM
There are loads on eBay from 200 quid up

mini megz
13th December 2011, 09:32 PM
Thanks for you help guy's :D

I've been looking on e-bay tonight and came across a supercharger that's been upgraded with silver blades. Can you give any info on this kind of upgrade?

Cheers

Big Gordy
14th December 2011, 01:17 PM
Sounds to me like they've been treated in some way ie hardened....not 100% mind it's just I work in the pump industry and its a common upgrade to heat treat the impellers to make then last longer.

mini megz
14th December 2011, 01:47 PM
Cheers Big Gordy

I'm still waiting on a reply back from them and from another person selling on ebay. I had no luck with Mini Spares and 1320, but I took a wee look at the directory of the Modern Mini magazine and managed to locate one for a good price from MJR (MiniMatt) based in Schropshire. They are just getting the supercharger in today, so he is going to call back with all the details. Fingers crossed my baby will be back on the road next week and not driving granny style anymore.

I understand every car has common faults etc, but I really have been unlucky with the radiator, pump AND supercharger replacement :(

Cheers