PDA

View Full Version : New kit

euan
6th December 2011, 10:04 AM
Hi all,

It's upgrade time ;-)

I've had my little Ixus and my bridge camera for 3 years now and while they still take good shots, I'm looking to move on. The Ixus doesn't take good low light shots and while I love the bridge camera, it was always a stepping stone to DSLR (I think!). However on looking about there are all sorts of new options out there, so I'm looking for some views from the people who know more about this stuff than I do.

Essentially i want two things:

Upgrade the Ixus for something that does better low light, must be compact and point and shoot, not overly concerned about zoom length
Upgrade for the bridge (it's a Lumix FZ18)

I'd been looking at the Nikon D3100 and the Canon 1100D, but is something like a G2 worth considering?

The DSLR will mainly be used for family shots and outside shots, and will be the "main" camera. The Ixus will be in the house/wifes handbag/baby buggy for something that does better quality than the iPhone but is always on hand.

Thoughts?

GCA3N
6th December 2011, 10:14 AM
Just bought a Nikon D5100 and cannot reccommend it highly enough, properly good camera. The D3100 is also a very good camera, guy at my work just got one and has raved about no end.