PDA

View Full Version : Are RF tyres starting to get somewhere?

MINIme:)
2nd December 2011, 09:00 PM
Are there improvements on the horizon?

http://www.motoringfile.com/2011/12/02/have-runflat-tires-finally-come-of-age/

:motoring:

Stewart
3rd December 2011, 02:15 AM
It’s probably the best thing I did take the car off RF. As everyone knows Capt Slow here so I’m not going to comment on the difference in handling or grip on the edge. But I can confirm that the car became so much more comfortable off in my opinion a very Harsh RF ride.

When I got the car I was apologising to passengers as the car crashed about feeling every pot hole or slight bump and felt like it was rattling itself to death.

So there would be massive scope for improvement. What’s not to like if they can give the comfort and handling and feel with the added insurance that if you get a flat you can still drive on it.

3rd December 2011, 02:35 AM
Capt Slow here

I'm intrigued to know which of us would win in a 'slow off' :lol: maybe find out one day!

weefossy
3rd December 2011, 09:43 PM
It’s really interesting that this thread has come up at this time, because of the touring holiday we have booked for next year; it’s something I’ve given a lot of thought to recently.

In my view run flats have come of age. Why would BMW even fit them on their M sport cars?

When we bought the van it came with normal Conti sport tyres. The Beast had Contisport run flats. So having listened to everyone else and because Sioban likes the “safety” aspect of driving on run flats, she wouldn’t have to stop in the dark to change a tyre, we swapped the tyres over.

So for the last two months I’ve been driving both cars with identical brand new tyres, except one set are run flats and I don’t really notice any difference to the handling in the dry or wet. I have noticed no difference in the road noise or the firmness of the drive, taking into account that The Beast has sports suspension.

People who know me know I don’t hang about and I don’t use brakes unless I really have to, but I don’t usually drive on the “edge”, so maybe I’m not pushing hard enough to “lose it” on run flats? But they are much better than run flats from even 4 years ago.

I totally accept the “cost” argument, as they are twice the price of normal tyres, but what do I do when I take the Beast on a 2000 mile trip? Was switching the tyres a mistake? I would have gone on run flats with confidence, but now I am going to have to take a spare tyre, as the “spray gunk” is totally useless in my opinion. Can you get a Mini space saver that goes over the Works brakes?

As with Stewart I know a lot of people will disagree with me, it’s a very emotive topic, in fact I can hear Euan chomping on his Weatheralls as he types, but it’s my opinion, having road tested both on a regular basis.

Duncan Stewart
3rd December 2011, 11:14 PM
I recently changed to my new winter tyres (Goodyear) that are runflats am asking myself WHY DID I DO IT :argh:
crashy, juddery ride and wooden lack of feel are awful compared to the Mitchelins I was running before. Its not just me, passengers have also commented on it.

weefossy
4th December 2011, 12:18 AM
Is that not just a fact of winter tyres, whether run flat or not?

Craig
4th December 2011, 12:20 AM
Is that not just a fact of winter tyres, whether run flat or not?

Nope :thumbs up:

GCA3N
4th December 2011, 07:07 AM
I Can you get a Mini space saver that goes over the Works brakes?

Malcolm the mini space saver does not fit over the brakes/disc's front or rear. What I would say is the boot can take a fully alloy wheel and tyre if you remove the floor mat in the boot. It's basically leaves you very little boot space if any but an option it is.

I'm intrigued to know which of us would win in a 'slow off' :lol: maybe find out one day!

Stewart......:tumbleweed::smug:

Mon the fish
4th December 2011, 12:40 PM
I'm doing a similar Euro trip next year, no way I'm ruining my enjoyment of the old Spa and the Ring with runflats. I'm getting hold of a spacesaver, and I'll carry a 13mm spacer and longer bolts so it clears the rear brakes. If I can't get a spacesaver, a 15" steel will do the job

stoney
4th December 2011, 01:36 PM
I'm doing a similar Euro trip next year, no way I'm ruining my enjoyment of the old Spa and the Ring with runflats. I'm getting hold of a spacesaver, and I'll carry a 13mm spacer and longer bolts so it clears the rear brakes. If I can't get a spacesaver, a 15" steel will do the job

i would go 2nd option if i was you saves fecking around with spacer ect when at side of road

ELFMAN
4th December 2011, 05:11 PM
Malcolm, I reckon the latest gereration of runflats, like your Contis, ARE an improvement over the older versions, but still not on a par with a good performance non R/F.

I came from Runflat 16's and found them quite acceptable on my R53, even with the power it was putting out (210+), probably because of the taller 55 series sidewall which absorbed more of the bumps and surface changes, but when I moved to the R56 with 17" runflats, I did notice a deterioration in ride quality and that the overall 'comfort zone' of the tyres was narrower than the 16's - ie on smooth dry roads they were fine, but they just didn't feel that 'secure' when pressing on in less forgiving, cold and/or greasy conditions. The combo of the overly-stiff 'Sports' suspension and the R/F 17's just didn't seem to gel. The JCW Suspension helped a bit, but the power increases seemed to upset the applecart again. I can only report what I found when I switched to the non-R/F Contis. My car now feels more 'at home' doing what it's supposed to do - ie going down an interesting bit of road at an interesting rate without scaring the crap out of me. The combination of my JCW and other power upgrades and my JCW Suspension really showed the R/F's as the weak link in the chain, and in fact I wish I had changed the tyres before I did any other mods...

The only fly in the ointment is the dreaded 'puncture scenario' - I do miss the peace of mind the runflats gave - but I'm willing to risk that to enjoy my car more of the time, and me Werther's Originals don't bounce out of their packet!

4th December 2011, 06:23 PM
Stewart......:tumbleweed::smug:

:lol:

Stewart
4th December 2011, 09:53 PM
Don’t encourage him!:hand:

It’s all about the journey.

“Drive slow and enjoy the scenery - drive fast and join the scenery” :smilewinkgrin:

Back on subject on another thread we talked about the AA and RAC and if they would help out in a situation with a flat. I think we came to the conclusion they don’t fix tyres at the side of the road and would only tow you to a local garage. But as Rob suggested there are 24/hr mobile tyre fitting services out there.

GCA3N
5th December 2011, 06:56 AM

Don’t encourage him!:hand:

It’s all about the journey.

“Drive slow and enjoy the scenery - drive fast and join the scenery” :smilewinkgrin:

:dance:

ELFMAN
5th December 2011, 02:34 PM
“Drive slow and enjoy the scenery - drive fast and join the scenery” :yawn: :frown:

:motoring: Scenery - BRACE YOURSELF!

5th December 2011, 03:05 PM
You and your elves are very irresponsible :frown:

I'm with Stewart :smilewinkgrin: ...and I don't believe either of us have a skip blocking our path :dance:

ELFMAN
6th December 2011, 05:44 PM
Joanna, I think you have SKIP ENVY! :hand: It's going this weekend I think... just in time for the crappy weather. Anyway - didn't see you coming to my rescue...:sad:

I'll have you know I'm VERY sensible... most of the time. But realistically - isn't it against MINI Law to have a 200+bhp MINI with all the bits and always drive it SLOWLY? I have to have the odd thrill now and again, you can't deny me that, surely? (...don't call me 'Shirley'). It's not irresponsible - it's FUN!!!!!! :thumbs up: Don't knock it till you've tried it! :smilewinkgrin: :bigwave:

GCA3N
6th December 2011, 06:58 PM
Isn't it against MINI Law to have a 200+bhp MINI with all the bits and always drive it SLOWLY?

No full Scottish Law Euan, remember studying this at police college.

Road traffic act 1988:

Section 112B: sub-section 55c

: Whislt driving a high performance Mini the driver must at all times drive like the car has been stolen.

6th December 2011, 08:39 PM
Road traffic act 1988:
Section 112B: sub-section 55c
: Whilst driving a high performance Mini the driver must at all times drive like the car has been stolen.

so in a Lesser powered Pippa, I'm ok?

ELFMAN
7th December 2011, 08:56 AM
No full Scottish Law Euan, remember studying this at police college.

Road traffic act 1988: Section 112B: sub-section 55c:Whislt driving a high performance Mini the driver must at all times drive like the car has been stolen.

:clap: :thumbs up: I KNEW it.

ELFMAN
7th December 2011, 09:06 AM
so in a Lesser powered Pippa, I'm ok?

There's a Subsection which states:
"ANY MINI, irrespective of Power Output, should be driven at Moderate to Brisk pace at least once a month, and the handling and performance of the vehicle should be 'fully utilised' on Birthdays and Public Holidays"

So there you are Joanna, it's not me - it's the LAW! :idea: :yes nod:

Mon the fish
7th December 2011, 09:17 AM
And I do believe the A93 is the 'approved' road for these kind of shenanigans :drools:

stoney
7th December 2011, 12:59 PM
Cars are to be used in what they are ment for they would not make it do 100mph + if they where not ment to fair enuf u don't want to drive like a nutter all the time but no harm
In having some fun in a car that handles well and go's quick then I'm going to use it I enjoy going on track days and geting the most out of my car !!

IF IN DOUBT FLAT OUT :)

ELFMAN
7th December 2011, 02:08 PM
:off topic: I fear I may be mainly responsible for steering :motoring: this thread off topic, if not off the road... :smilewinkgrin: Apologies Mods and Peeps. :blush:

The general consensus should be that you drive your MINI in a way (within reason) that YOU find most enjoyable and at a pace you're comfortable with - that's what NMS is all about.

A final thought... I just wish I had a video of my (post-toilet stop!) single track 'solo' run from Durness to catch up with the NMS Convoy on this year's Highland Run. For me, that just nailed what MINI is all about - after that I totally knew my 'modding money' had been well-spent. Best 20 mins I've had in my R56 to date, and every bit as good as the high points in my R53 JCW 210 - which is saying something, as the R56 is often seen (in standard guise probably quite rightly) as being less of a 'Driver's Car' than the earlier model. But with a few well-chosen mods, it can kick ass with just as much conviction! :thumbs up: :bigwave:

Stewart
7th December 2011, 06:27 PM
http://youtu.be/ITyJrD67FOM
That’s why you were last! A pist stop.

That’s why I think I’ve enjoyed the HT over the years, It’s such a long run you can relax and enjoy it and know you are going to catch up. I’ve never had a problem with anyone’s driving and in fact enjoy that some of these pocket rockets are getting used correctly. I feel sorry for the ones that never experience the Mini in its native habitat of Highland twisty deserted roads.

I can think of nothing worse than a Works going from point A to B in town all its life even with the odd motorway excursion. I’m sure if I had one I’d be running that little bit quicker too and enjoying it for what it is. Not that the standard Cooper is anything but enjoyable on these roads too.

Back on topic, your man above enjoys building his car step by step and most of these would never be appreciated unless the car was driven enthusiastically. The second or third day after I ditched the RF I started to appreciated how much nicer the ride was in the Mini. It could have just been the mess that were the Glasgow streets at the time or the rattle that used to emanate occasionally from the dash but for me the RF’s started getting annoying. The second I drove my Sisters new Cooper that did not come with RF on the same road it was game over from a slight hardly noticeable bump in her car to the bang of my car.

But as a technology idea the RF are still a great idea. But I’d still prefer a normal spare personally like we used to have in cars. Not a fan of the space saver but I’d rather have that than my Goo and foot pump.

LadyR
7th December 2011, 06:41 PM
I'll second that, nothing irritates me more than getting stuck behind a lorry or something on the road between Inverness an Ullapool. The bends are made for a mini 😄

Stewart
7th December 2011, 08:07 PM
In fact its easier following this lot than trying to decide on were to stay for next years HT in Plockton:smilewinkgrin:. But yes your lucky to have such fantastic roads up there Lady R. That touch wood some us will see in June.

7th December 2011, 08:12 PM
:off topic: I fear I may be mainly responsible for steering :motoring: this thread off topic, if not off the road... :smilewinkgrin: Apologies Mods and Peeps. :blush:

Stop it then :ragin:

ELFMAN
12th December 2011, 02:14 PM
stop it then :ragin:NO, I WON'T! :stamp: :smilewinkgrin:

Cheers for the video reminder Stewart! :thumbs up: If you look carefully, you can see the haze of Adrenalin surrounding my car... :yes nod:

12th December 2011, 03:01 PM
NO, I WON'T! :stamp: :smilewinkgrin:

:frown: sigh!! :moonie:

ELFMAN
12th December 2011, 06:55 PM
:frown: sigh!! :moonie:
Well that's a bit rude... :blush: Following the ancient customs of my Tribe, it means we now have to get married :arms: :smilewinkgrin: and you'll have to buy a new Pootle Hat. :laugh: :bigwave:

12th December 2011, 08:15 PM
:wtf:

ELFMAN
13th December 2011, 03:36 PM
(Echoing footsteps exit stage left to the sound of Cliff Richards' "Bachelor Boy" ) :sad: :sadangel:

GCA3N
13th December 2011, 05:38 PM
:sick: