PDA

View Full Version : Glasgow post Xmas lunch / pint January

MINIme:)
30th November 2011, 10:35 AM
Noone seemed to show any interest in a Xmas lunch meetup in the Central Belt...but I will give it one more go...!:computer: (I do get easily offended mind :hand:)So would anyone in the Glasgow area be interested in a wee lunch somewhere or a mini-less pint in the centre/west end?Dates proposed are afternoon or evenings of Sat 10th Dec, Sunday 11th Dec, Sunday 18th Dec. :xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::xmastree: :xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::xmastree: :xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::xmastree: :xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::xmastree: :smilewinkgrin:

30th November 2011, 03:01 PM

Craig
30th November 2011, 03:22 PM
I'm never in Glasgow unless ordered to by my work and the dates you've mentioned I've already got something on.. Sorry :frown: great idea tho :thumbs up:

EcosseGP
30th November 2011, 05:47 PM
I'm usually about the town centre at some point either for the football or just for a few beers if there's enough interest I'd be happy to front up at some point for a pint n a bite to eat .. Date depending though ..
In fact not long back from there today !!

At 8000rpm no one hears you scream

ELFMAN
30th November 2011, 07:56 PM
That sounds great Joanna, but I haven't got time to think at the mo', so much going on at home (the Landscaper's still got me barricaded in) and at work (still there...), it's doing me head in!!!
I go a even crazier at Christmas... I'll have a think later on and see what's happening in ELF World.

stoney
30th November 2011, 09:00 PM
no can do sorry just to much on this dec :(

GCA3N
30th November 2011, 09:45 PM
Offshore for two of those dates joanna.

sent from my galaxy S ll

ELFMAN
1st December 2011, 09:18 AM
Sunday 11th MIGHT be possible for me... everything's very crowded and confusing just now! :confused: :argh:

1st December 2011, 02:51 PM
ok, this isn't going as well as I hoped :sad:. Thank you to those who showed interest though, even though it's sounding like a bad time!

How about the first couple of weekends in January? January is often a bit lacking in excitement as well as being a bit dark, cold and 'return to work' miserable. Weekend of 7/8 or 14/15???? Could either drive somewhere for lunch (did I hear the Carbeth Inn was good? up along Stockiemuir Rd, past Milngavie? or was there somewhere Eaglesham-ish? - I can't remember and don't know either myself). Or just a good old pint. :beer:

ELFMAN
1st December 2011, 06:25 PM
I have a few 'Celtic Connections' :thumbs up: gigs which brighten up gloomy January, but I'd be up for something depending on dates :book: and weather :snow:

GCA3N
1st December 2011, 06:39 PM
7-8 would certainly be good for.me.

sent from my galaxy S ll

Craig
1st December 2011, 08:23 PM
Jan is better for me to ;)

1st December 2011, 08:37 PM
Craig can you change the thread title to January? :smilewinkgrin:

EcosseGP
1st December 2011, 10:06 PM
Need to see nearer the time about Jan but I'm sure I'll be able to squeeze in food n drink

At 8000rpm no one hears you scream

1st December 2011, 10:21 PM
:thumbs up:

stoney
1st December 2011, 10:52 PM
Craig can you change the thread title to January? :smilewinkgrin:

done it for you :smilewinkgrin:

1st December 2011, 11:04 PM
cheers bud!

Duncan Stewart
3rd December 2011, 11:15 PM
We are up for doing something in Jan :thumbs up:

blueworks
4th December 2011, 07:00 PM
Carbeth Inn is good i went there a couple of times with SIDC.

4th December 2011, 07:04 PM
I'm going to propose a rough working plan of Sunday 8th. Subject to it suiting folk, being bookable and hoping the weather behaves! Worth starting somewhere though as it's only 5wks away (and Xmas is 3wks today!! :wtf: )

'mibbae aye' so far:
1. Joanna
2. ?Craig (+ Jude?)
3. ?Greig (+ family?)
4. ?Duncan Stewart (+ ?)
5. ?MiniiGP ( + ?)
6. ?Elfman ( + your Dad?)
7. ?Stephen & Allyson

4th December 2011, 07:07 PM
Carbeth Inn is good i went there a couple of times with SIDC.

Cool, thanks :thumbs up: I think it changed hands in the last few years but have never been there myself so know very little.

EcosseGP
5th December 2011, 01:04 AM
Only problem with the Carbeth Inn Is if the weather / roads are bad it's a nightmare to get to ..

It's not big .. But it is quick !!

5th December 2011, 10:34 AM
agreed, believe me I'll be the first to chicken out of driving anywhere if it's snowy.

ELFMAN
6th December 2011, 05:17 PM
?Elfman ( + ?)+1? Only if a get someone for Christmas... :sadangel: Dear Santa... :computer:

:santa: "I've brought you TWO Bjorks - in case you lose one" :whoohoo: :drools: :crazypilot:

Mini Ecosse
6th December 2011, 08:30 PM
We might just come along for the lunch.

6th December 2011, 09:06 PM
Only problem with the Carbeth Inn Is if the weather / roads are bad it's a nightmare to get to .. I'm not sure whether to think about in town or out of town :confused: 'In' is easier to get to in bad weather for sure but maybe a bit less fair on anyone not in Glasgow? Mind you Greig is maybe only person for whom the Carbeth made sense in terms of direction. I had been thinking folk would prob prefer somewhere outwith the city but I'm open to either - unless the weather is dodgy when I'd bail at the sight of a snow flake :snow: Other thoughts, based purely on my limited knowledge and ideas of places are that there's a couple of places in Partick, but it's a bit me-centric! ;) There's Roastit Bubbly Jocks very near Partick Stn / subway (and my house!) I've been there loads of times, it's very reasonable and they are always willing to do altered menus etc on request. The last time I went there I was a little disappointed though, just because they seemed to have simplified their meals down to be a little less interesting than they used to be. And they didn't offer me bread - but my favourite waiter wasn't on that night so maybe the staff just weren't quite on it ;) One bonus of there is there is free parking in nearby streets plus good train access. There's also Three Figs at the bottom of Byres Rd a few mins walk away that I've only eaten in once but enjoyed - and it's pretty much opposite one of my favourite pubs too. The east end is a bit more central, Scotland-wise but I know nothing of that area. In the city centre there's a bit more hassle parking maybe with sales on at that time but there are lots of eateries. What do others think re location? It would be great if people were keen to come in from surrounding areas and I want to make it a good spot for you.

GCA3N
6th December 2011, 10:22 PM
Mind you Greig is maybe only person for whom the Carbeth made sense in terms of direction.

:whoohoo::smug:

11th December 2011, 01:31 AM
I'm not sure whether to think about in town or out of town :confused: 'In' is easier to get to in bad weather for sure but maybe a bit less fair on anyone not in Glasgow? Mind you Greig is maybe only person for whom the Carbeth made sense in terms of direction. I had been thinking folk would prob prefer somewhere outwith the city but I'm open to either - unless the weather is dodgy when I'd bail at the sight of a snow flake :snow: Other thoughts, based purely on my limited knowledge and ideas of places are that there's a couple of places in Partick, but it's a bit me-centric! ;) There's Roastit Bubbly Jocks very near Partick Stn / subway (and my house!) I've been there loads of times, it's very reasonable and they are always willing to do altered menus etc on request. The last time I went there I was a little disappointed though, just because they seemed to have simplified their meals down to be a little less interesting than they used to be.

What do others think re location? It would be great if people were keen to come in from surrounding areas and I want to make it a good spot for you.

This is in 4 weeks time (Sunday 8th Jan) and I am away for possibly 2.5 weeks immediately prior to that :xmastree: :santa: and mad busy just now:dizzy: So if you're interested let me know if Glasgow is ok or where you want to go.

Craig
11th December 2011, 11:14 AM
I'm not a city centre lover, so I'd prefer out of town somewhere, but don't make arrangements round me if the majority want the city. :thumbs up:

GCA3N
11th December 2011, 01:00 PM
I'm not a city centre lover, so I'd prefer out of town somewhere, but don't make arrangements round me if the majority want the city. :thumbs up:

Ditto that for me too joanna. I hear Callander has nice pubs ;)

11th December 2011, 02:23 PM
Ditto that for me too joanna. I hear Callander has nice pubs ;)

It does sound nice, I'm just not confident enough driving in :snow: conditions to be happy committing to that far :sad:

SuperCooperS
11th December 2011, 08:14 PM
I would have really liked to come to this but my mum is comming over to visit me the weekend of the 7th.. but im sure you will all have fun

EcosseGP
11th December 2011, 11:31 PM
Problem you have with places like Callander or smaller villages is that you need to drive to get there which rules out a pint or two .. You like Callander Grieg because it's a couple of miles from your door and the MINI won't get too dirty ;). I'll go with the flow if I can get there I will ..

30mph may be a good speed ... But 70mph is better !!

12th December 2011, 01:25 AM
Problem you have with places like Callander or smaller villages is that you need to drive to get there which rules out a pint or two ..
I know that's exactly what I'm struggling with here.
Gla or Edin (or Stirling?) = More accessible in snow by car or even by train with potential for beer OR
out of town = minifriendly for a wee drive as long as the weather is decent. And no beer. :idunno:

I appear to be rubbish at organising stuff! :frown:

You like Callander Grieg because it's a couple of miles from your door and the MINI won't get too dirty ;).
:lol: I spotted that but let him away with it seeing as I'd suggested 5mins walk from my flat ;)

I'll go with the flow if I can get there I will ..
:thumbs up: thanks

GCA3N
12th December 2011, 07:00 AM
You like Callander Grieg because it's a couple of miles from your door and the MINI won't get too dirty ;).

I can't believe you'd think like that, the thought never crossed my mind.......:Whistle::lol:

ELFMAN
19th December 2011, 01:46 PM
Don't know if this thread is still 'live' or not, but I'm out anyway, as between Celtic Connections, the RSNO Concert Season and pals, my weekends in January are now full up! :thumbs up:

19th December 2011, 02:11 PM
I'm not sure either as I didn't get feedback :idunno:

Maybe a last minute thing with location driven by weather but might be awkward booking for a largeish number

ELFMAN
20th December 2011, 02:59 PM
Don't worry Joanna, it was worth a try - everything goes a bit crazy at this time of year. We'll hopefully have plenty of opportunities in 2012 for a good drive, some good food and a good blether! :thumbs up:

lamdacore
11th January 2012, 11:54 PM
I don't know if I'm bringing this thread back to life or not, but would be interested in Glasgow meetup.

12th January 2012, 12:06 AM
yay!

I was really disappointed I didn't manage to do this to be honest, but was failing miserably to guess what people would like, or to come up with a good venue. And was away for the 2 preceding weeks which didn't help!

so I would def be up for something! January and work is proving a struggle right now. :rain:

lamdacore
12th January 2012, 12:14 AM
I managed to arrange a nice mini mini-meet last year with a few folk and we all went a drive to Ayr for the day. Only 3 cars turned up, but it was good :D